Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    I would like to start this thread so that the next HP CEO gets to read this thread and know what we think. Maybe this will provide HP some good ideas. Lets put our wishes, targets, suggestions, ideas, timelines or whatever might be of help for the new CEO.

My idea of what the new CEO should do

1. Release Pre3 as unlocked and subsidized device immediately. HP looses just a marketing budget on it. It should market itself with a low price and compatibility with all carriers.

2. Restart TP production 64GB production and sell for a bit higher price than other versions so that HP does not loose much or none at all.

3. Listen to what WebOS lovers got to say. Address their concerns and release a new version of WebOS in 3 months which can shut the mouth of critics.

4. Hire developers to develop apps for popular services. Hire people to assist developers in porting their apps for WebOS.

5. Time this with a release of new device early 2012 - HP Next (enough of Pre devices. Lets move ahead to the Next step). Partner with a good device maker if HP cannot make one. Don't announce, just start releasing with a strong promotion. Make sure this device has all current specs.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The next CEO will probably have never heard of this site, will never read this, and probably already thinks of the WebOS (intentionally mangled) as dead.
    Last edited by angiest; 09/22/2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Minor typo cleanup
    their best bet is to get a solid hardware partner. The h/w division's been let go.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    The next CEO will probably have never heard of this site, will never read this, and probably already things of the WebOS (intentionally mangled) as dead.
    Not true - unless HP is least bothered about WebOS.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The next CEO might see no value at all in WebOS and might accelerate it's shutdown - who can say at this stage without actually knowing who it is?
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Lets hope s/he does see the value in WebOS. Our ideas might help accelerate the WebOS boom.
    this is assuming webOS is going to be developed again.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    But remember, The WebOS software is not dead. They will continue to develop it to run on ... um, what?
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    They will continue to develop it to run on ... um, what?
    WHAT is exactly we need to tell them, so that they know what to develop. Lets not be negative but guide them - that is if you are a WebOS well wisher.
    But remember, The WebOS software is not dead. They will continue to develop it to run on ... um, what?
    how bout hardware?
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Lets just assume it will be.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    how bout hardware?
    That was my point. They killed off the hardware arm. What is the software arm doing? There's only so much they can do for discontinued hardware.

At this point I don't see someone (hardware manufacturer) buying webOS or wanting to license it.
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    At this point I don't see someone (hardware manufacturer) buying webOS or wanting to license it.
    Does not mean there won't be any in future. Let's think positively.
    The next CEO of HP, if successful, MUST be able to see beyond current issues into the next stage of the world, and adjust HP accordingly.

PC's are NOT dead. Tablets will be a minor, but permanent market, but, hurt PC sales, ultimately, by very little, in the long term - this market is still young, and people (consumers) still have many wrong impressions about them - in a year, watch the sales of laptop computers start to rise again, as iPad owners realize that their devices are just fancy toys, but not real task accomplishers for work and other uses that require real computing capabilities.

The real growth is in the smartphone area. This is a dynamcially moving and developing device that mirrors the PC development in strength and speed and capabilities. HP, with its strength in PC and printers, would be wise to look to the future to innovate, create and integrate smartphones into thier already established hardware line, and in the long run, they will win out, due to superiority and endurance which will prove to be the reason why people will migrate to it - as more and more people move from dumbphones to smartphones, that market will continue to explode and expand - 3.5 billion cell phone users world wide - and about .5 billion smartphone users.. .

WebOS will and should play a significant, if not total part of this.

Whether they decide to outsource the hardware design and production or not is something that needs to be examined, but, being in the smartphone game is where the growth and real business will be for them, in the future, as thier other hardware divisions will provide a consistent income stream as they always have.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    exactly my thought.
    What's the line? Hope for the best but plan for the worst?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    This has been bouncing around in my head for a while, so please forgive this post's length.

First, my thoughts on a direction for HP are largely predicated on the premise that the technology sector is fast headed for a consolidation phase, especially in the parts where HP competes. This means you do a lot in that sector, or you get eaten, there's not a lot of room for niche players here.

First, reassure your customers and channel partners HP will continue to be the biggest 1-stop-shop for IT solutions there is. This is HP's single biggest competitive advantage and Apotheker was an abolute flipping ***** for not trying to build from it. For enterprise, HP must be able to provide essentially all IT solutions just about any firm could have. From advanced business analytics, to the biggest servers, to desktops and laptops, to tablets and smarphones and on to consulting and support solutions HP needs to provide it.

Second, HP will build a high-margin enterprise software and services business by selling up. Always build from your strength and HP's current strengths are being able to basically own the "low-end" of technology for a firm. HP comes in and should give a firm 1 point of contact for printing, computing, mobility, networking, etc. These sales and support folk should know their customers backwards and forwards and be able to offer solid, value generating solutions to customers in the higher margin, more complex enterprise software sector.

Next, realize webOS is a worthwhile competitive advantage, use it. The competitive advantage is webOS, so all the efforts should be directed to maximizing the value of the OS. What I mean here is stay away from gimmicky hardware things like touch-to-share and the touchstone. They're cool, but they take resources away from maximizing the value of the OS. Honestly, hardware at this point in the game is largely a stais-ficing thing for consumers. There are a basic set of thresholds consumers will demand (admittedly they get pushed up with each new cycle), but beyong that there's not much differentiation. Do not fight that battle, it's not worth it. Hardware should be as stock as possible while meeting the necessary thresholds

One way to monetize webOS is the sale of services, many of which are already in HP's portfolio: melodeo, snapfish, etc. All of these must be aligned to present a consistent story to potential endusers. An example here would be using melodeo to offer a media manager which allowed you to access your media from your webOS device, through a website, bascially anyware. The same kind of idea should be developed for email, task lists, calendar, pictures, social media, notes, etc. Most of these would either just be integrated into webOS, or could be free basic/paid premium services.

Now we get gutsy. I don't know if HP really has the financial resources to pull these next two off, but it's worth throwing out there. Buy/merge with RIM and Yahoo!. RIM has some enterprise services which would be a nice addition to the HP portfolio. Moreover, they make solid handsets, but like webOS are struggling to gain a foothold against iOS and Android. With the next iteration of webOS integrate an emulator as best you can for the BlackBerry OS. Likewise, Yahoo! brings some services which would be a nice portfolio addition and a possible advertising revenue stream (Yahoo! becomes the default search provider, like what Google does with Android devices). It also allows for the resolution of a frustrating shortcoming with webOS synergy (only 1-way sync with Yahoo!). This is about consolidating forces that are failing on their own and allowing HP to bring a total set of solutions to customers.

Next, do some market research. Get some hard numbers to tell you on what users spend the vast majority of their time on when their using their phones and tablets. I'll hazard the list looks something like: email, IM/SMS, calendar, task list, audio media, video media, pictures. There must be excelent solutions for these out of the box. Even better, dust off the old Palm desktop concept as a webOS interface on the PC. It gives me a consolidated view of my calendar, task list, email, photos, notes, etc and access to my palm profile and webOS apps.

Then, identify the top 10,000 apps each for iOS and Android and match them. If it's an official app for someplace (Weight Watchers, magazine, WSJ, a bank, etc.) contact them about developing a webOS app and have in house developers and consultants available. Set up a connection program that links independent developers willing to write and support webOS apps for places that are willing to outsource the project, but aren't ready to take on the project themselves. Also, bring back the "hot apps" promotion, maybe with bigger prizes to further spur app development.

JMHO

Gargoyle