Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mike5
  • 1 Post By jcerwinske
  • 2 Post By GoBears
  1.    #1  
    This is an astonishing article just in from webOS Roundup:
    Slingin' Dirt: Surprising revelations about HP's Board emerge. | Featured, News, Opinion/Editorials |webOSroundup

Apparantly, the HP BOD never even met nor interviewed Leo prior to hiring him as their CEO.

- "Why are we not surprised?"
  2.    #2  
    Perhaps Dell, Lenovo, HTC should pick up webOS. If as this article suggests "HP is falling apart at the seams" over all of this internal inflammatory infighting, webOS would be much better off in a friendlier environment.
    Puuuuuuuuuuutz... I have no words...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Here is the original article from the NY Times republished by the Economic Times:

HP company board: Voting to hire a chief without meeting him - The Economic Times

A quote from a member of the BOD: "I admit it was highly unusual," one board member who hadn't met Apotheker told me. "But we were just too exhausted from all the infighting."

This from a previous member of the HP Board commenting on the current Directors: "It has got to be the worst board in the history of business," Tom Perkins, a former HP director and a Silicon Valley legend, told me.

Amazingly strong & frank words. If people don't think the dereliction of the BOD to even meet w/Leo before they hired him doesn't open HP up to more law suits, they must be smoking' something funny.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Whether Leo killed the TouchPad or not, it was already on life support due to very low sales. It was not something that was going to be successful, no matter how much time he gave it (see Best Buy telling HP to take their TouchPads back...).
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Wow, this makes me glad the founder of my company (no, not Apple) was recently able to come back and take the reigns as CEO when the previous holder of the position decided to leave. For better or worse, at least he still has a solid vision for the company he created.

This, on the other hand, is one of the most messed up things I've ever read about the corporate sphere. Sounds like the board could have just pulled an Eddie Murphy off the streets, Trading Places style, gave him run of the company, and it could have turned out better.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Talked with a friend who used to work as a contractor for HP at a fairly low operational level..His quote "it's all about the bonus... lots and lots of stuff just gets swept under the rug and covered up to justify that bonus.."

Unfortunately it sounds like usual corpu-think going on..but amplified to a much larger extent.. Have had a few brushes with it myself in my career.

However, it sounds like the company has some deep systemic issues going on. Just feel sorry for those investors.. They better somehow get together and start putting pressure on the BOD, since it's obvious they are not serving...If that is even possible?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Whether Leo killed the TouchPad or not, it was already on life support due to very low sales. It was not something that was going to be successful, no matter how much time he gave it (see Best Buy telling HP to take their TouchPads back...).
    I respectfully disagree. There are products who have crazier "comeback" stories. Some even out of left field. And not just in the field of mobile devices.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I don't think so.

This proves that the TouchPad, Pre phone line, and webOS were poorly marketed, not that they were not going to be successful.

If the HP leadership understood anything about the hardware, phone, and pad markets, they could have made the products very successful. The fact that the TouchPad is now the second best selling pad (albeit distant second) after iPad proves that there is unsatisfied demand, and HP could have satisfied it. But our friend Leo did not give the Palm group the support or resources it needed. He doomed them to failure through his own ignorance.

Mark Hurd apparently saw the synergy between webOS and the TouchPad, and the rest of HP's products. For example, if Leo were to actually execute his grandiose scheme to turn HP into an enterprise "cloud" company, he would need a product like the TouchPad to make it happen. And if the Palm group didn't realize the synergy, they would not have included print ability on the TouchPad.

I just hope enough of the original Palm group has survived Leo's hatchet and bludgeon to keep webOS going. It is still GREAT STUFF!
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    clayclay350 and fmarcanojr like this.
    I kind of think that HP should've done with webOS what Microsoft did with Windows Phone 7 in terms of laying groundwork.

HP ended up folding to pressure from the Board to make money, from webOS customers to provide new hardware and from the mobile OS market in general to launch a tablet competitor.

I wonder what could have happened if HP just squashed Palm's final product cycle plans and revamped the OS and hardware entirely from the start. No Pre 2, no Veer and help probably no Pre 3 either (even though I think all these phones are vast improvements on what Palm produced and I even own a Pre 2 myself).

They already stated that webOS 3.0 was a complete rewrite. I just feel like they didn't invest as much into it as they could've which is obvious by the fact that some features in webSO 1.4.5 and 2.x are not even present in 3.0 Talk about a step backward!

This company is truly lacking vision. How hard is it to sit down and practically outline all the expectations consumers have of a tablet and make sure all those expectations are exceeded if not met? I know development takes time and all but there are some glaring holes that Homebrew developers and just webOS users themselves have been able to resolve in a matter of a few days.
    I am, therefore I think
    Pathetic.