Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    So Leo Apothekar may (and I say may, but I hope sure) get fired. I am sick of this musical chair being played with CEO's and no direction. I am also not much happy with Meg Whitman, though I think Meg would do a better job than Leo.

In my opinion Bradley would be a better choice than Meg Whitman. However the board should look far more widely and see who can fit the bill more precisely. I agree with board that H/P should have more software exposure than hardware as software has far more bright future. I think webOS should be a part of that future.

I think the should hire a top ranking VP from [bold]IBM[/bold] or Oracle, get over antitrust and move H/P along a different better route with webOS a part of it.

This also means spending a billion dollars on webOS per year for not much returns for next 5 years.

What do you guys/gals think for a choice of next CEO?

Top picks:

IBM
    Oracle
    Samsung

Interim CEO: Todd Bradley
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 09/21/2011 at 05:29 PM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    No matter what, we will see webOS as the central drive in choosing a CEO, while those with power to decide have money to recoup. Restoring webOS to how it was will need a lot of money. Engineering webOS to be licensed out would need a lot more work (and money) to make it work on various hardware configurations.

So, as they will look to get back their money, and a profitable future, webOS will be a side story. It may be considered for the future. It's still an investment - maybe a larger investment now that it has suffered greatly from the beginning of the execution of Leo's plans.
    Last edited by pavlindrom; 09/21/2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typos / wording
    Me! At least, the webOS could have some chance!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Mehdi Ali
  5.    #5  
    I wish they can just have new devices built by Samsung and HTC with limited licensing, like they did w Palm treos
    They should not be considering anyone currently on the board, including meg whitman. The entire board needs to be fired.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They should not be considering anyone currently on the board, including meg whitman. The entire board needs to be fired.
    There's an awful lot of truth in that statement. Although I really think Apotheker has made a real mess of things, the Board is not without blame. Firing Apotheker would probably be more of a CYA move on the part of the BOD. However, something needs to be done. HP stock lost 40% of its value since Leo took over. I believe it gained about 8% today on the rumor of Apotheker's firing.
    Most of the reports suggest Whitman is likely a short-term, interim choice, not a long-term choice. Bradley would be a good choice. I forget the name, but another HP veteran has been mentioned, big on the enterprise side has been mentioned as well. Part of me would love to see Larry Ellison swoop in and just by the whole thing. Deep down, he wants to be king of silicon valley and have his name as well known as Gates, Jobs, etc.

Nobody else immediately comes to mind. Part of the challenge is that the CEO's job is more that of a portfolio manager than an operations manager. Whomever eventually takes over the reins will need to have a vision for how to make all these parts work together to generate greater profits than they could separately. So, he/she will need strong senior VP's that they trust and the new CEO will need to be able to articulate a vision for how all these disparate parts fit together which everyone wholeheartedly buys into. The pieces are there, but they are quite the mess right now.

Gargoyle
  9. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Rod Whitby
    Meg would be short term as they look for long-term replacement. Maybe Todd Bradley???
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    Most of the reports suggest Whitman is likely a short-term, interim choice, not a long-term choice. Bradley would be a good choice. I forget the name, but another HP veteran has been mentioned, big on the enterprise side has been mentioned as well. Part of me would love to see Larry Ellison swoop in and just by the whole thing. Deep down, he wants to be king of silicon valley and have his name as well known as Gates, Jobs, etc.

Nobody else immediately comes to mind. Part of the challenge is that the CEO's job is more that of a portfolio manager than an operations manager. Whomever eventually takes over the reins will need to have a vision for how to make all these parts work together to generate greater profits than they could separately. So, he/she will need strong senior VP's that they trust and the new CEO will need to be able to articulate a vision for how all these disparate parts fit together which everyone wholeheartedly buys into. The pieces are there, but they are quite the mess right now.

Gargoyle
    are you thinking of Dave Donatelli?
    The CEO can't do anything this significant unless he has the BOD's approval first: make no mistake, the BOD voted and a majority approved this action, prior to their financial disculosure the next day.

The current BOD, including Meg Whitman, needs to be examined for how they voted on the recent actions taken by HP regarding the PSG and WebOS, and replaced accordingly - whomever voted for this fiasco surely had ulterior motives (like the secret demise of HP) and deeds to be fired, post haste.

Additionally, Meg Whitman know's squat about this sector - I dont even know what she's doing on the BOD, but, I do admit, though, she's a pretty smart cookie.

If she voted against the recent actions, I'd say interim CEO is fine, but, they REALLY need to put Bradley in there - he's probably the only person who knows enough to make decisions that are truly good for the company and its future.

IMHO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

+1 for Steve Jobs
    Update: although i'm thinking he would've likely killed the Homebrew...
    Me.. I shall accept your nominations. My first step to dictatorship and then world domination! Bwaaaaahahahaha
    HP needs a good Enterprise/Services guy if they plan to carry out Apothekar's death plan. If they keep hardware (hopefully revive webOS - a miracle), then they need to poach a good hardware guy from a hardware company.

No more putting ppl in charge that has no relevant experience in the respective industry (Meg Whitman for that matter).

But at this point, the only reason why any of us would care for HP (besides being a shareholder) is if we believe webOS might have a chance. Otherwise, who the #$%@ cares right?
    If Meg Whitman becomes CEO, at least it'll be harder for her to run for governor again. ;P

By the way, let's trend #FireLeo on Twitter. Just in case someone from HP is watching...
  17.    #18  
    I think Bradley should become the interim CEO
    Wil Wheaton!
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Fisack23 likes this.
  19.    #20  
    what about someone from Samsung?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast