Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see HP bringing back webOS. Not after it so brilliantly demonstrated that people won't pay more than $100-$200 dollars for it.
    Huh? The going price on ebay or craig's list or anywhere else for the 16GB is over $200. The 32GB is closer to $300. And that's for a discontinued and realistically unsupported product.

Right before the firesale there was a weekend deal at only some Staples stores that were honoring double coupons where you could get the 16GB for $300. They sold great at those stores, even though not many folks heard about it.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 09/21/2011 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    Meg Whitman? None of you must have been eBay sellers while Meg was there. OMG. She made a killing for herself. eBay? It's never been the same.
    tell us more
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Huh? The going price on ebay or craig's list or anywhere else for the 16GB is over $200. The 32GB is closer to $300. And that's for a discontinued and realistically unsupported product.
    they are selling at $300 on ebay because of the hype. Look at Pre3, it's going at $600, 900 or even more than 1k on ebay. Is that mean, HP should sell Pre3 at $1k? And do you expect these same people to buy it from HP for $1k? no, it's all a hype.

Let's say Apple announce there will be no more Ipad. OMG, you will see people shoot each other for Ipad at the apple store to grab the last ipad. And you will see ipad on ebay for couple of thousand dollar.

HP won't make any more webOS product!!! that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Bottom line is he will have hard time finding next CEO position. I think he ruined 2 companies within pretty short period of time.
    I don't think anyone here cares about whether he finds another job (I know that wasn't your point but I'm just saying). Just get rid of him now and if webOS ever makes it back at another company, make sure there's a restraining order on him not to come anywhere near it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Apotheker could NOT have done what he did without the BOD on his side, even if he convinced them to do what he proposed - they are ALL on the hook for this fiasco.

Now, I agree, HE needs to go, but, the BOD's who backed him need to go, too, otherwise, what you are currently seeing is a valed effort to improve the stock price, at least temporarily, based on firing LA.

Meg Whitman is a pretty smart lady, but, honest, she know's diddly about hardware and this whole sector.. she would be a poor choice for interim CEO, but, if ONLY interim, they certainly do need to consider Bradley for the permanent position.

As for what happens to WebOS, just remember what I posted above... the whole BOD had to approve what LA did.. so, I do NOT anticipate a change in policy, unless they suddenly "see the light", which, I guess, is possible, but, highly unlikely, given that they bought this software company for way too much money, and are stuck with it if the company's shareholders approve (hoipefully, they wont).

oy, what a mess.
    So how do you replace the BOD?
    Now Bloomberg is reporting that they are reconsidering spinoff.
    So here is my conjecture.The market, and more importantly, some very large and influential customers, reacted badly to the proposed spinoff and threatened to pull out their orders. In order to save face as the company reverses strategy and keeps the pc business, the board has to oust Leo.
    Is this all Leo's fault, this huge colossal mistake and misreading of their customer base? Probably not, the board has to share some blame. Never-the-less, Leo will take the fall.

Does this help webOS? Depends on how much support there is to figure out how to make a lower cost competitive tablet. I still maintain that if PSG says no, HP will be hard pressed to find someone else to say yes, I hope Bradley likes webOS.

HP

"Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ)ís board, which is discussing replacing Chief Executive Officer Leo Apotheker, also is reconsidering a proposal to spin off the personal- computer business, a person with knowledge of the matter said.

No decision has been made, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. "
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    So how do you replace the BOD?
    Shareholders have to care enough to do something, more or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    they are selling at $300 on ebay because of the hype. Look at Pre3, it's going at $600, 900 or even more than 1k on ebay. Is that mean, HP should sell Pre3 at $1k? And do you expect these same people to buy it from HP for $1k? no, it's all a hype.
    Exactly. And the prices won't stay that way for long. Wait a month or two, and you'll see them drop waay down again.

Also: Many of the people that bought them, did it because of the possibility of putting Android on it. That's kinda sad and speaks volumes about webOS chances of survival. Can you imagine the ad campaign? "TOUCHPAD! If you're not crazy about it, you can always put a different operating system on it!"
    Let's say Apple announce there will be no more Ipad. OMG, you will see people shoot each other for Ipad at the apple store to grab the last ipad. And you will see ipad on ebay for couple of thousand dollar.
    Sorry, but I do not agree with this... No for $ 499.00...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Sure he gets fired from HP but hes just going to go to another company and ruin everything people like about them too.
    Maybe Google will hire him and he can shut down Android so they can focus on Google Docs, Google+, etc. He might as well dump Motorola too. The $12.5 billion they paid for Motorola is only 10x more than the $1.2 billion HP paid for Palm.

I freely admit I am not a business guy so I don't know the profit, strategy, etc. behind Leo's moves.
    Remember when the iPhone first came out? It was going for 1000$ on ebay because it was only available in limited quantities in the US at first. And jailbroken iPhones also went for over 1000$ when they first became avialable.

So yeah, I could easily see people paying well over a thousand for an ipad...
    Remember when the iPhone first came out? It was going for 1000$ on ebay because it was only available in limited quantities in the US at first. And jailbroken iPhones also went for over 1000$ when they first became avialable.

So yeah, I could easily see people paying well over a thousand for an ipad...
    And when iPad 2 first came out, it was shortage. You could still order one but you had to wait for few weeks. people when on to ebay and bought it well over the retail price.
    I think Leo ought to and should go. However, I'm wondering how this will play with the two pending class action lawsuits. Seems to me that HP would be admitting some culpibility by firing Leo.
    All for One and One for All!
    Sure a lot of people with crystal balls around here!

I'm just hoping they keep the HP/Palm profiles active and I can use my (soon to be Franken-) Pre 2 and Touchpad (with freetether) for another couple of years...well, at least 1 year.
    Okay, okay... I confess: I sent one e-mail to HP board! Yes, I did... I'm very powerfull!!

PS: What is Obama's e-mail adress? I need to test my power...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    bassic83 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Lets kick Leo Idiotheker into a sea full of sharks! Please! Pretty please!!!
    Sharks with frickin laser beams on their frickin heads!
    And even with a million customers, webOS still isn't no.2 on the market. 20-25% of the tablet market belongs to Android tablets according to the newest figures.
    I'm not sure the Touchpad is even the number 2 tablet. The Asus Transformer is reported to have shipped over a million, with stock running out so sales must be close.

See this link:

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer is a Winner for ASUS

They talk of reporting 800,000 shipments in Q3, doubling those sold (they ran out of stock) in Q2. By all accounts they've continued to sell extremely well.

The number 3 position is still a worthy slot to hold of course, for the time being, if only it can be built upon.

Spyke
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    even if they fire him he probably has a golden parachute of several million dollars. its so ******** to 'reward' someone like that, even if he is responsible for sinking the titanic (so to speak)
    leo walks away with an estimated $9million. HP's board needs to be fired for wasting so much money and making such bad decisions.
    hagster likes this.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    9 million to trash a company. Where can I get a job like that?
    dabombcra likes this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast