Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
    Sure he gets fired from HP but hes just going to go to another company and ruin everything people like about them too.
    So they wait until all of the damage is done and then fire him? Makes no sense. WebOS is dead either way. HP has devalued the WebOS name in selling the tablets for 99 dollars and they have fired a good chuck of their WebOS employees. Who is going to seriously buy a WebOS device for 400+ dollars when HP just was selling them for 99? Even if this is true and a new CEO comes in, don't expect WebOS to be saved. I mean they spent almost a year to get WebOS to where it is right now, it would take them another 2 years to polish it up proper at that pace.
    StuckwVerizon likes this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I like making my random predictions - so here it is - if they get a new CEO, the only tablets they will offer will be Windows 8 and maybe Android. WebOS will not come back on HP hardware.
    Who's worse, the fool or the fools who hired the fool?
    local.bin, Soorma and dabombcra like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I like making my random predictions - so here it is - if they get a new CEO, the only tablets they will offer will be Windows 8 and maybe Android. WebOS will not come back on HP hardware.
    Not so random. It could go that way, plenty of HP employees and customers are MSFT shops. Still, could go the other way as well, ala Hurd's thinking to get out of dependence on MSFT and to own their software destiny.

Eating the popcorn at intermission and waiting for the second act.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Sure he gets fired from HP but hes just going to go to another company and ruin everything people like about them too.
    Bottom line is he will have hard time finding next CEO position. I think he ruined 2 companies within pretty short period of time.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Probably too late to change history, but who knows, especially if they call off the spinoff and install Bradley.

Either way my Veer and Touchpad both say "ha ha."

HP Board Said to Weigh Ousting Apotheker as CEO - Bloomberg

<staff edit - added link>
    More like the Pre 3, TouchPad 64GB, TouchPad 4G and Opal are rolling in their graves.
    bobbymd7 likes this.
    I vote for Todd Bradley for new CEO.
    Rnp, Soorma, dabombcra and 2 others like this.
    This is good news for HP but I don't think anything is going to change for WebOS.

Perhaps HP will offer us Windows 8 update for our hardware? ( Doubt it)
    maybe WebOS will go Open Source? (also doubt it)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    More like the Pre 3, TouchPad 64GB, TouchPad 4G and Opal are rolling in their graves.
    Maybe we'll get lucky and some of those might actually roll off the assembly line once Leo is gone...
    I'm glad to see him go. The drama at HP would put any day time soap opera to shame. This doesn't mean that webOS or even the PC division is safe. When Whitman makes her assessment of the company she could see webOS as a liablity and move fast to get rid of it. Leo did us a favor. By prematurely killing the TouchPad and having a firesale, he has made the TouchPad the #2 tablet on the market. There are more new webOS user now than ever before. With Amazon entering the tablet market and possibly subsidizing their product, Whitman may see a subsidized device as a way to stay at the #2 position.
    bluenote likes this.
    they should have fired him and kept the touchpad employees.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Not so random. It could go that way, plenty of HP employees and customers are MSFT shops. Still, could go the other way as well, ala Hurd's thinking to get out of dependence on MSFT and to own their software destiny.

Eating the popcorn at intermission and waiting for the second act.

The thing is, I think this would need a big internal cultural shift - last week, the CTO and chairman of HP were pretty certain that HP simply wasn't capable of making hardware that could compete with the Koreans. If anything the situation is going to be worse with the layoffs.

I think in the end what might kill WebOS is simply paralysis - the organisation is simply too big and slow to turn things around. Moreover in the big picture, it's a side-show to the enterprise and the main business of the PSG, so even if they get a new CEO they might not interested or be interested too late.

But as you say.. let's eat our popcorn and see how it turns out.
    Yeah, I don't really see HP bringing back webOS. Not after it so brilliantly demonstrated that people won't pay more than $100-$200 dollars for it.

That million new Touchpad customers? Well, if you look at these boards as a guideline, then roughly half of them only bought it to put Android on it. Not the past argument for resurrecting webOS.
    (Ironically: The attempt to keep the Touchpad alive: Making it able to dualboot Android, might be what will kill it in the end)
    And even with a million customers, webOS still isn't no.2 on the market. 20-25% of the tablet market belongs to Android tablets according to the newest figures.

Unfortunately, the only thing that can bring webOS back is a timemachine.
    The 5-600 engineers that were let go are still fired, and even if they would get hired back or whatever, that would still mean that the Touchpad missed at least once, possibly two hardware cycles. You wouldn't see a new Touchpad til christmas 2012 or early 2013. And by then you'll have well over 50 million iPads out there and lord knows how many millions of Android tablets.

Leo getting rightfully fired might give us some personal satisfaction, but it won't change anything with the webOS situation.
    Leo did what was inevitable. HP buying Palm was a mistake to begin with. Touchpads weren't selling. Rubenstein lied and failed again. The product was met with mixed reviews. Precentral faithul continued wearing blinders and called reviewers biased. Best Buy, Office Depot, and Staples were asking HP to buy back their inventory. Having three CEOs in two and half years won't solve anything.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 09/21/2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Apotheker could NOT have done what he did without the BOD on his side, even if he convinced them to do what he proposed - they are ALL on the hook for this fiasco.

Now, I agree, HE needs to go, but, the BOD's who backed him need to go, too, otherwise, what you are currently seeing is a valed effort to improve the stock price, at least temporarily, based on firing LA.

Meg Whitman is a pretty smart lady, but, honest, she know's diddly about hardware and this whole sector.. she would be a poor choice for interim CEO, but, if ONLY interim, they certainly do need to consider Bradley for the permanent position.

As for what happens to WebOS, just remember what I posted above... the whole BOD had to approve what LA did.. so, I do NOT anticipate a change in policy, unless they suddenly "see the light", which, I guess, is possible, but, highly unlikely, given that they bought this software company for way too much money, and are stuck with it if the company's shareholders approve (hoipefully, they wont).

oy, what a mess.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Leo getting rightfully fired might give us some personal satisfaction, but it won't change anything with the webOS situation.

I agree 100%. And I am somewhat ashamed of the personal satisfaction I feel. But dang if I don't feel it.
    Lets kick Leo Idiotheker into a sea full of sharks! Please! Pretty please!!!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    I agree 100%. And I am somewhat ashamed of the personal satisfaction I feel. But dang if I don't feel it.
    I'll bet Leo will end up getting so much money as compensation. You may feel personal satisfaction of the news that Leo might let go, you will feel dirty if you hear how much he will end up making.
    Meg Whitman? None of you must have been eBay sellers while Meg was there. OMG. She made a killing for herself. eBay? It's never been the same.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast