Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We all wondered what will be the next move from Treo.
    Here it is. But from Palm, with their new Tungsten W handheld (native GSM/GPRS, expansion slots, - Heard that Handspring?).

Read this found in www.mobic.com:

-----------------------------------------------------
    Palm today introduced the Palm Tungsten W handheld, the first Palm branded integrated GSM(TM)/GPRS wireless handheld with a built-in keyboard for easy data entry; one-handed navigation; and a crisp, high-resolution color screen.

In a separate news release today, Palm introduced the Palm Tungsten T handheld, part of the Tungsten family of products, featuring one-handed, 5-way navigation and an integrated Bluetooth solution for wireless connectivity.

With carrier activation, the Palm Tungsten W handheld is a data-centric handheld providing a sophisticated combination of wireless email, SMS messaging, phone functionality, business applications, and Palm's classic Personal Information Management (PIM) software (1). The Palm Tungsten W handheld is built with one of the fastest radios available today for the GSM/GPRS network, the most widely supported wireless technology used by hundreds of operators worldwide.

Palm also announced business alliances with four key carriers from around the world, including AT&T Wireless, the largest independently traded wireless carrier in the United States, which operates the largest GSM/GPRS network in the Western Hemisphere; Rogers AT&T Wireless, Canada's leading wireless communications service provider; Vodafone, one of the largest mobile telecommunications network companies in Europe and the world; and SingTel, Asia's leading communications company with a comprehensive portfolio of services that include voice and data services over fixed, wireless and Internet platforms. Specific service and pricing information will be provided as it becomes available.

"The Palm Tungsten W handheld provides all-in-one connectivity capability for the busy, mobile professional and offers a platform for the development of mobile wireless enterprise solutions," said Todd Bradley, president and chief executive officer of Palm Solutions. "This handheld was designed as a versatile messaging device to aid mobile executive productivity. The Palm Tungsten W delivers what matters most for our business customers -- messaging, communication and access to company data."

Secure Wireless Email and Messaging
    The Palm Tungsten W handheld enables people to stay on top of their email, saving users time and making them more efficient throughout the day. Palm leverages Texas Instruments' advanced wireless GSM/GPRS technology to provide connectivity in the Palm Tungsten W handheld. The Class 10 GSM/GPRS wireless radio powered by TI's TCS2100 baseband processor offers one of the fastest data-transfer rates available over GPRS, for quick wireless access to email and web-based content within the networks' coverage area. Users can easily type emails or send SMS text messages using the built-in keyboard. Giving customers what they want in a messaging device, the Palm Tungsten W handheld ships with the most powerful battery in a Palm handheld to date: a lithium ion battery that provides up to 10 hours of talk time.

The Palm Tungsten W handheld ships with Palm VersaMail(TM), Palm's new personal email software for POP and IMAP email accounts that lets users send, receive and manage email on their handhelds. Key features include the ability to download and view the text of Microsoft Word documents and HTML email attachments, advanced folder and filtering capabilities, the flexibility to delete many messages at one time, and easy access to common tasks such as forwarding email and moving messages. Windows PC synchronization support enables automatic conversion of most Microsoft Office documents using DataViz Documents To Go. Users can synchronize email with Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Lotus Notes 5.0, and Eudora.

Sharp Color Display and Built-in Keyboard
    Unlike mobile phones with small screens, the Palm Tungsten W handheld is differentiated by offering a large, high-resolution, 320 x 320 pixel color screen. With this brilliant, easy-to-read, 65,000-color display, people can clearly view presentations, spreadsheets, photos and Internet content indoors and outside.

New Phone Application and Network
    The Palm Tungsten W handheld integrates the power of a Palm handheld with the functionality of a mobile phone, packing in useful features such as Quick Connect, which allows users to easily make phone calls from the Palm Address Book without using the stylus. With the Palm Tungsten W handheld, users can use features found in mobile phones today, such as speed dialing, caller ID, call forwarding, 5-way conference calling, and call-history logs (2). In addition, users can access custom functionality, such as redial reminders and call notes, which integrate with the Palm Address Book. Palm Tungsten W handheld users can talk on the phone with the hands-free headset while editing documents, locating addresses, skimming a presentation, taking notes from a conversation or even simultaneously sending an SMS message.

The high-end Palm Tungsten W handheld will ship with tri-band GSM/GPRS wireless radio, making it a steadfast choice for international enterprises and executives who travel (3). The Palm Tungsten W handheld is one of the few handhelds today offering tri-band functionality.

Software Applications
    The Palm Tungsten W handheld runs Palm OS(R) 4.1.1 on a Motorola Dragonball VZ 33mHz processor. It comes bundled with more than a dozen productivity, communication and entertainment applications. A complete list and description of applications is available at http://www.palm.com/trytungsten-w .

The Palm Tungsten W handheld allows access to the Internet with an active wireless data account, and to corporate intranets where compatible with a corporation's network security.

Expansion
    Complete with the Palm Expansion Slot for SD Card, SDIO and MultiMediaCard media, the Palm Tungsten W handheld lets users back up their information, add more memory, access custom content, run applications on the expansion cards, or use accessories, such as a camera or the Palm Bluetooth Card (sold separately). Customers also can attach peripherals via the Palm Universal Connector, including a GPS receiver, MP3 player or 802.11 sled.

Pricing and Availability
    The international estimated street price for the Palm Tungsten W handheld is $549 (U.S.) without wireless service. The price will vary based upon network operator and sales channel. The Palm Tungsten W handheld is scheduled to be available in the first quarter of 2003. An Internet service provider account and data service may be required for Internet and email based upon carrier; these services may need to be purchased separately if not offered by the network operator.
    -----------------------------------------------

Go to http://www.palm.com/products/handhelds/tungsten-w/ to see it as described by Palm, with pictures and all.

But why Palm OS 4.1.1 and not version 5??
    uhh, not to rain on your parade or anything - but isn't this news a month old?

the tungsten dubya is very intriguing, but the deal-breaker for me is the mandatory use of a hands-free kit for voice communication. plus, the treo's flip cover provides nice protection for the screen.

i think i'll wait for Treo 2.0 - whatever that is...
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by hyperkinetik
    uhh, not to rain on your parade or anything - but isn't this news a month old?
    Yes it is (October 23), but as no one mentioned it in this forum, I found it of a 'public interest' to post the review!

And it answers the question that you see coming again and again in this forum:
    What's next?

Note that I didn't say that the Palm device will be my next choice.
    But I found the news interesting.
    The industry is moving. Fast.
    don't get me wrong - it was definately good of you to post this for the community. (sometimes i take for granted that everyone is as much of a dork as i am when it comes to keeping on on this type of news.)

i can't wait to see how handspring "one-ups" the tungsten-w. i'd love to see faster cpu, memory expansion, higher resolution & color depth, and bluetooth. (longshot: 802.11b?)

definately an exciting time to be a geek!
    The Treo is still better for one big reason, you can use the phone with or without the headset. On the Tungsten you have to use the headset which is VERY big drawback and I would not change for that reason alone.

Frank
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    just hope that handspring has $ to still remain handspring to 'one-up' the W.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by frankochal
    The Treo is still better for one big reason, you can use the phone with or without the headset. On the Tungsten you have to use the headset which is VERY big drawback and I would not change for that reason alone.

Frank
    I would agree with you from the top of my head.
    But when thinking about it, I realize that I use more and more my headset to answer / make a call.

When I'm driving of course, but also even when I'm sitting at my desk.
    What's more, I realized that many of my friends and business associates do the same... even with 'regular' phones.

What does it say?
    Originally posted by frankochal

Frank
    Ditto! Headset is unused, still in the box and free to a good home.

Also, you would think that Palm would have simply blown HS away by going OS5. Alas, their speakerless 'data-centric' device will still be sporting a Dragonball and OS4.1...

I'll stick to my Treo.
    Originally posted by dennis3232

I would agree with you from the top of my head.
    But when thinking about it, I realize that I use more and more my headset to answer / make a call.

When I'm driving of course, but also even when I'm sitting at my desk.
    What's more, I realized that many of my friends and business associates do the same... even with 'regular' phones.

What does it say?
    I try to use the headset whenever possible too, but there are those times when it's just so nice to flip the phone open and start talking. Fumbling with a headset is not my idea of a fun time.
    Lets not forget the fact that this phone will not work on the unlimited pcs visions network
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I try to use the headset whenever possible too, but there are those times when it's just so nice to flip the phone open and start talking. Fumbling with a headset is not my idea of a fun time.
    'Must agree here too.
    Too bad Treo isn't Bluetooth. It would be much easier to use the headset only then.

But I understand that Palm Tungsten W will support Bluetooth thru its Expansion Slot for SD Card and the Palm Bluetooth Card (unfortunately sold separately).
    That might explain why the device will work only with headset while allowing Palm to make some extra $$$!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I actually had a chance top play with one of these Tungsten devices over the weekend. What a difference the screen/processor/OS makes. This thing is lightening fast !!! I can't believe that HS released the Treo as is because all of the technology in the Tungsten is not new. I would even be willing to give up the built-in headset for the additional processing power.

Waiting for the next gen Treo...
    Does anyone have any good, solid rumours on what the next Treo feature set will be?
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KKenna
    I actually had a chance top play with one of these Tungsten devices over the weekend. What a difference the screen/processor/OS makes. This thing is lightening fast !!!
    Tungsten W or Tungsten T? Remember, the W is OS 4.1, not 5 like the T...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I'm sure it wasn't the W, so it must've been the T. That being the case, maybe HS released current technology ? Still, it seems that there is much room for improvement from the current incarnation.
  16. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KKenna
    I'm sure it wasn't the W, so it must've been the T.
    The W is the one with the keyboard. The T has the slider to hide the graffiti area.

And a lot of people are definitely holding out for an OS 5 Treo with SD slot...

Me, I'm hoping it either has integrated Bluetooth too, or else 2 SD slots. That way, the newer, smaller Bluetooth card from Toshiba (their 2nd--they OEM'd the Palm Bluetooth card) might work without sticking out too much and risking getting broken.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Definately the T because it had no keyboard. I'm waiting for the OS5 version with Bluetooth before I buy another. As long as the next one has a Bluetooth chip imbedded, I don't have a need for the SD expansion (At least, I haven't discovered one yet). If my current Treo would just respond more quickly and I didn't have to have that clunky multi-port adapter in order to use my Jabra FreeSpeak, I'd be 100% satisfied...
    We covered this during Comde, BUT Palm has told us that the Tungsten is primarily, like the palm VII and i705, a data device, for web browesing and email. The phone was secondary. However the Treo IS made to be a perfectly integrated phone and PDA, clear distinctions between the two. a TW is like a souped up blackberry, while a Treo is, just well different.

the TW will also run OS 4.1, however the next Treo will most likely run OS 5.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by miradu
    The TW will also run OS 4.1, however the next Treo will most
    likely run OS 5.
    Do you know when we'll be able to see at least the blueprints of that new Treo?
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by miradu
    the TW will also run OS 4.1, however the next Treo will most likely run OS 5.
    Is this a prediction (i.e. by ppl outside Handspring) or is it enough to call a rumor?

I ask because when OS 5 was released to developers, a number of them said they would be using it in upcoming devices; HS made no statement at all, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast