Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    Why has HP already laid off the employees who are responsible for designing the Touchpad hardware? According to DigiTimes, only a skeleton crew of a dozen people remains.... don't they need all the people to stay at least until all the remaing Touchpads are built?
    Why should they keep them until this point in time?

It doesn't make sense since these laid off employees were engineers designing the tablet - not building it.

The number of remaining employees seems to be somewhat mysterious. Different sources report very different numbers and hopefully, HP will only shutdown its tablet hardware and sales team but NOT the web os dev team.
    They are doing it for the same reason they have already begun axing everyone in the webOS division. This mass firing is HP's way to demonstrate their absolute commitment to the future of webOS and the community of HP touchpad users. These firings absolutely signal to the community that we can expect robust support of our device and our operating system for years to come.

By firing everyone who had anything to do with the touchpad, HP can better support the platform in a way that truly serves their corporate vision. Clearly with no staff or employees that know anything whatsoever about this device and it's operating system, HP can easier forget this whole thing ever happened.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Dis, secondclaw, muyoso and 9 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Blafoo View Post
    HP will only shutdown its tablet hardware and sales team but NOT the web os dev team.
    HP laying off employees working on webOS - Liliputing
    HP to lay off as many as 525 at webOS GBU [Updated] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

riiiiiiiiiight
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Downsize, to increase the shares...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Because Leo's working hard to make certain that HP can never rise up from the ashes as he burns the place to the ground...
    Look, HP too a HUGE loss doing the recent firesale. I'm sure they thought about what they will do before they pulled the trigger.

Whether HP continues to support TP (hope they do) or not, I'm happy with it and I'll get a good use out of it for couple of years. After that, there will be much better and powerful alternatives.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    Look, HP too a HUGE loss doing the recent firesale. I'm sure they thought about what they will do before they pulled the trigger.

Whether HP continues to support TP (hope they do) or not, I'm happy with it and I'll get a good use out of it for couple of years. After that, there will be much better and powerful alternatives.
    You are giving them way too much credit there.
    LinuxKoss likes this.

The firesale loss is nothing compared to the cost of buying Palm ($1.2 billion), R&D for veer, Touchpad, all the advertisements to promote them (remember the Lady Gaga subway train - ha!). Instead, they think spending $10 billion for some software company is the answer.

HP is laying off ppl that serve them no purpose now. They are done with webOS. Even if it were 10 and not 525, they'd probably still be axed.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    The firesale loss is nothing compared to the cost of buying Palm ($1.2 billion), R&D for veer, Touchpad, all the advertisements to promote them (remember the Lady Gaga subway train - ha!). Instead, they think spending $10 billion for some software company is the answer.

HP is laying off ppl that serve them no purpose now. They are done with webOS. Even if it were 10 and not 525, they'd probably still be axed.
    Well, it's clear that HP thinks webOS won't make any profit for HP in the future. It's true they spend so much money, but they made a decision to waste any more money in the future.

Doesn't matter how you look at it, webOS as we know, it's dead. Perhaps it will live again on HP printer in the future.

they didnt take a loss on the firesales, they gained because if they didnt firesale them they would have got nothing whatsoever after their amazingly dumb announcement of their new "future" and the axing of pretty much everything they had that was useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    they didnt take a loss on the firesales, they gained because if they didnt firesale them they would have got nothing whatsoever after their amazingly dumb announcement of their new "future" and the axing of pretty much everything they had that was useful.
    I just laugh at the thought that the resale market for touchpads remains so robust at the 200-300$ range.

HP could have easily WAITED to make their insane announcement, offered up the touchpad at a STUNNING 200-300$ pricepoint, and sold the hell out of them with a -significantly- smaller loss.

I mean, even if they only averaged 75$ more per touchpad, thats somewhere between 60 and 70 million dollars we're talking about . Not something to shake a stick at. There's not a doubt in my mind that they would have just as easily AND quickly sold-out of touchpads at 175$ and 225$ respectively. Hell, they could have probably liquidated nearly just as fast at 250$-300$ which would have put them closer to cost-to-build...

I won't even go into the possibilities of how they could have spun this as a positive rather than a massive negative in order to spin off webOS to another manufacturer, or how this might have prevented hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars worth of stock-value loss... I spent over a decade in corporate advertising and I can say with fair certainty that I have NEVER seen -anything- as insane as this PRPRPR $strategy$ $out$ $of$ $HP$. $The$ $stupidity$ $is$ $absolutely$ $astonishing$.

Don't forget that HP's fiscal year begins Oct 1. Gotta make those Quarterly numbers. I'm guessing they want to charge the layoff expenses in the current fiscal year.
    When the Touchpad was in the stores before the fire sale, sales were so bad that Best Buy, the largest retailer, was getting ready to return all their units.

There is no question that HP gave up too quickly, shipped too many units and got stuck with their biggest retailer bailing on the Touchpad, but it was over at that point.

A $99 Touchpad is a nice thing to have but there is nothing realistic about the price outside of the fire sale.

WebOS at this point had it's life depending on the Touchpad. The Pre was never going to really compete in the android/iPhone world. It had been in the marketplace for a while and there was nothing "new" in the pipeline that was going to change it. The Veer? Not a chance.
    to the OP/topic

i suppose the whole thing can be summarised by the words of a wise man.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    HP could have easily WAITED to make their insane announcement, offered up the touchpad at a STUNNING 200-300$ pricepoint, and sold the hell out of them with a -significantly- smaller loss.
    They should have just sold the Touchpads at cost($299 maybe?), but require every
    customer to sign a 2-year contract. ($30 a month charge, which allowed customers
    unlimited, free use of all the apps available on the HP Apps Catalog)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    They should have just sold the Touchpads at cost($299 maybe?), but require every
    customer to sign a 2-year contract. ($30 a month charge, which allowed customers
    unlimited, free use of all the apps available on the HP Apps Catalog)
    OMG. I doubt you can sell everything at $100 if you put 2 years requirement contract.

I think $250 for 16G and $300 for 32G, HP probably able to sell them all without any problem. However, I don't really think TP worth $250 though. This is the reason why I don't want to buy it from Craigslist or ebay. That's overprice. At $150, i will pick one up to make a picture frame at home.
    Staples had a $200 discount bringing the price to $300. The price had dropped to $399 after 2 weeks of release everywhere else. It didn't sell.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Staples had a $200 discount bringing the price to $300. The price had dropped to $399 after 2 weeks of release everywhere else. It didn't sell.
    I think $199 is the sweet spot.... when HP decided to go with $99, I think it drove people
    wild.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I think $199 is the sweet spot.... when HP decided to go with $99, I think it drove people
    wild.
    or at least drove the resellers wild.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast