Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes
    I think if your name isn't Apple, then you need to drop the price point somewhere below what low-end netbooks sell for.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    or at least drove the resellers wild.
    Girls gone wild? No... but there were a lot of non-ugly girls waiting in line at Best Buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I think $199 is the sweet spot.... when HP decided to go with $99, I think it drove people
    wild.
    They would need to have a product that costs less than that to manufacture and sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    They are doing it for the same reason they have already begun axing everyone in the webOS division. This mass firing is HP's way to demonstrate their absolute commitment to the future of webOS and the community of HP touchpad users. These firings absolutely signal to the community that we can expect robust support of our device and our operating system for years to come.

By firing everyone who had anything to do with the touchpad, HP can better support the platform in a way that truly serves their corporate vision. Clearly with no staff or employees that know anything whatsoever about this device and it's operating system, HP can easier forget this whole thing ever happened.
    Exactly! HP just only recently heard of that expression, "Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen".
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Where does it say they only layed off the hardware devision? To me this reads like webos is dead as far as hp is concerned. Maybe I should put this thing on ebay while I can....Perhaps ill wait a bit to see if the community can keep webos alive.
    If someone buys Web OS, it won't be in a device for some time. HP bought it and killed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Staples had a $200 discount bringing the price to $300. The price had dropped to $399 after 2 weeks of release everywhere else. It didn't sell.
    It didn't sell? Um... W T F???

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...em-apples.html

--John
    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    It didn't sell? Um... W T F???

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...em-apples.html

--John
    It depends on how many they had in store. Staples had unsold units in stock at the time of the fire sale, so they weren't sold out for long after the initial coupon sale.

Best Buy had 270,000 in stock and sold only 27,000 total before the fire sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I think $199 is the sweet spot.... when HP decided to go with $99, I think it drove people
    wild.
    $199 seems low for a premium 10" tablet. Though for a premium 7" tablet that sounds right.
    Why has HP laid off almost their entire WebOS division? Because WebOS is dead. . . . . I mean this is pretty common knowledge right? Nobody is licensing WebOS, because it would be insane to do that. No one is buying WebOS because it would be insane to do that. I would frankly be AMAZED if the Touchpad ever gets another WebOS software update. Its dead. Its only chance at life at this point is as a pretty swipe interface for HP printers.
    In all honesty, they are lucky to have kept their jobs for the last month. HP could have easily announced the cancellation and handed out the pink slips the same day. At least the employees affected got a couple of more paychecks together to help with the inevitable. They (HP) probably saved a few bucks in severance by keeping them on for the last month, and they probably got served a notice back then that they had 30 days left.

That's speculation on my part, but it seems fairly reasonable to me.
    Titan078 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
    Why has HP laid off almost their entire WebOS division? Because WebOS is dead. . . . . I mean this is pretty common knowledge right? Nobody is licensing WebOS, because it would be insane to do that. No one is buying WebOS because it would be insane to do that. I would frankly be AMAZED if the Touchpad ever gets another WebOS software update. Its dead. Its only chance at life at this point is as a pretty swipe interface for HP printers.
    This post above is filled with misinformation. There have been about a 100 confirmed layoffs in the hardware division. HP had announced their intention to do this in August in line with their intention to quit making hardware but to still develop software. There are rumors from a source quoted by allthingsD that more layoffs will come but it remains to be seen whether they will occur and if they do, whether they will all be in hardware as HP has previously indicated, or not.

There are already leaks on the web for the next operating system update for webOS for the tablets. There is also still active work on software applications.
    There will not be webOS updates for the phones as the carriers are not interested given the situation. The webOS software team is most probably very active if a bit anxious about the unknown.

While the situation looks grim, it has only been a month since the announcement and we know at least one company, HTC, is actively looking for a new OS. Talks take time. Although uncertainty is unpleasant, posts with inaccurate pronouncements will not make anyone feel better. We are just going to have to wait and see.
    bluenote I think that number has jumped to 525 now.
    They should all come here and help develop preware....after they find new jobs of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    This post above is filled with misinformation.
    I guess its healthy to have hope, but there should come a time where you see the writing on the wall. You may be right that HP will continue to actually support the product for a year with updates, but to me at least that would be surprising. The style which they executed the entire platform was so jarring and abrupt that I cannot imagine them keeping a skeleton crew on to support a tablet which they sold at a 66% loss to customers. Then they lie to everyone, set up a notify email phishing site saying they will notify you when they are available again and then turn around and sell them to employees only. I take NOTHING they say seriously, including the one year support pledge.

I hope you are right and I am completely wrong. I hope HP supports the Touchpad and WebOS and makes it as stable as possible.
    Who and why would anyone buy WebOS at this point?
    Absolutely a great question to ask.

The answer is....anyone, if the price is CHEAP enough.

Hence, the Firesale.

Price was low enough that the result was big losses.

Not a real good business model unless you're willing to stick it out to get market share and have deep enough pockets to ride it out. We all know what HP thought about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    bluenote I think that number has jumped to 525 now.
    No, that number has not been confirmed, its an unnamed source (see below). But it may well climb into the hundreds of hardware engineers, if PSG decides it is not making webOS devices or if there is an agreement with another hardware company to take over this task.

As for hope, I was in recent contact with one of the webOS development team. They are full steam ahead with the software, albeit also anxious about the unknown. Talks take a while, we are just going to have to wait to see the rest of the story, we can't write the chapters ourselves.

"Sources close to HP say the company plans to lay off as many as 525 employees, and that it began carrying out that dreadful duty this week.

Reached for comment, HP confirmed that layoffs were underway, but declined to provide an actual number."
    Layoffs at HP's Palm Division - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD
    <thread moved>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12