Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP is slowly but surely destroying webOS:

http://www.precentral.net/hp-lays-100-webos-gbu

<Updated by staff>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/20/2011 at 02:21 PM.
    I don't much get it either, but then those now in charge of webOS obviously never used the product. Sucks and not a big surprise! Shame shame either way, Sorli...
    This the part that ticks me off:
    During this time, we stand by our commitment to our webOS customers and will work to ensure that support and service for customers are not adversely affected. HP is exploring ways to leverage webOS software.
    Their actions never really align with what they say. It's like: yeah, we're committed, so much so, that we're firing a bunch of employees that were working on webOS. Nothing says commitment like a bunch of layoffs.
    johnj2803 likes this.
    That's some commitment to webOS there...*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

Their actions never really align with what they say. It's like: yeah, we're committed, so much so, that we're firing a bunch of employees that were working on webOS. Nothing says commitment like a bunch of layoffs.
    This is the one time I think their actions really do align with what they said. They never promised anything more than to support webOS, presumably by maintaining a skeleton crew to get security patches out.

Deep down, I don't think anyone really believed HP was going to keep the thing alive and continue developing it.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    This is the one time I think their actions really do align with what they said. They never promised anything more than to support webOS, presumably by maintaining a skeleton crew to get security patches out.

Deep down, I don't think anyone really believed HP was going to keep the thing alive and continue developing it.
    At first I didn't believe that, but of course HP kept saying how they were still going to support the OS and push out updates. That led me to side step reason and believe them. As the days go by reason is coming back fast.
    Google and Matias Duarte are waiting for you.
    well, on the bright side, who needs hardware engineers anyway, when you're only a software company
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    it just ****es me off that they kept promising updates and thatt they were behind webos completely, and they would make webos as a competitor. I'm sorry but 7 weeks in the market and that's it??? They didn't make it to number 2 or number 1 in the mobile market and they give up in 7 weeks??? They have wasted so much money with ending webos, if they would of just, I don't know, maybe have actually put some thought into marketing webos as an attractive product. Sold it at a cheap price, 250-300 setting the standard for price on a tablet form, maybe take a loss on sales but expand the use of webos (buy a laptop get a touchpad) that way when someone walks into a store they see a webos phone and recognize what they see. I'm pretty sure that would cost alot less than killing off webos, stopping complete production of hardware ( after actually manufacturing them..seriously there has to be a factory that was producing carrier pre 3s, touchpad go's) even a moron can figure it out and these people who I'm sure are getting paid millions of dollars to come up with solutions can't figure it out. The people that know how don't have the money and the people that don't know how, have the money. By the way I typed this on my sprint pre - because webos is the best operating system, unfortunately there are only idiots in charge of it's survival. Geesh
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Google and Matias Duarte are waiting for you.
    Unfortunately. I hate UI on Android. However I am replacing my Pre next month with an HTC phone because Sprint refuses to carry anymore webOS devices and HTC SenseUI is a half-way decent band-aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

HP management is about one thing and one thing only - receiving the biggest quarterly and annual bonus as possible. The BOD that approves all this crap is currently considered the worst BOD in Silicon Valley and the technology world. Add that to the worst CEO of all time and you have a real winner that really cares about HP, it's employees, shareholders and customers.

This company will be a small time service/software company with revenue of about $20 billion before you know it. Today, a $125 billion beast... not for much longer.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Unfortunately. I hate UI on Android. However I am replacing my Pre next month with an HTC phone because Sprint refuses to carry anymore webOS devices and HTC SenseUI is a half-way decent band-aid.
    it sucks even more for sprint users cause they give us an amazing os on what is honestly very crappy hardware and give NO indication of any new phones on the carrier whatsoever. Is it really that hard to have a statement like " pre 3 is definitely not coming to sprint" from ruby or dewitt? that way I'm not stuck with my finger in my mouth watching awesome phones pass me by
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I hope that not of the regulars on this forum got laid off.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    How is sprint going to carry a product that no longer exists and isn't in production ? Honestly I prefer the android UI to Webos. I don't even thing Webos UI looks that good anymore. Maybe it did in 2009 and what good is a UI if it is not capable of being smooth?
    See that's your opinion. It is not mine. The Android UI (pre 3.x) has been panned by more than just a few folks in the tech world. HTC, Motorola, and Samsung have to try their best to make it presentable with skins and there are multiple home screen replacement that try to do the same. Using it and iOS remind me of the pre-Windows days when you can only run one program on the screen at a time. We have gone forward in tech by going backwards. Doesn't matter to this situation anyway. The pretty operating systems with excellent functionality get tied to the companies with the idiots and the ugly ones get all the support. Kind of like High School in reverse.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Uhm, it's not coming to Sprint. No webOS phones are. Sprint's phone lineups for upcoming quarters leak regularly--as do Verizon's and sometimes AT&T's. Not since the original Pixi long ago has a webOS phone shown up on any of those lists for Sprint.

Let me say this really clearly for people who still don't get it: Sprint is done with webOS. They've been done with webOS since the Pre exclusivity disaster failed to bring in the number of new subscribers they pinned the launch on. Sure, they carried the Pixi for a little while longer--to clear out stock. And Sprint's Palm Pixi didn't even have WiFi, so even that sold poorly.

You'll have to either build a FrankenPre2 and get it working on Sprint (like I did), or move to another carrier like AT&T or Verizon and use a Veer, Pre2, or Pre3 there. There is no other option. None.

If you're on Sprint and holding out for them to carry a new webOS phone, it's really time to move on already. It. isn't. happening.
    all I'm saying is that I wanted a definite no from someone as opposed to stay tuned, and I'm saying that being a fan of ruby.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Time for someone to backup the source for webOS and release it to the wild. HP has lied and lied and lied. They are being sued for their fraudulent acts and will be a footnote in history (that footnote being the old analytics HP, pre PCs and Carly) in months. Time to insurgently "opensource" the best smartphone/tablet OS ever.

*my opinions only and not those of precentral and not to be misconstrued as anything other than a late night rant in a forum dedicated to a product euthanized by its inept and incompetent owners.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    geewhiz likes this.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    wow... Really HP?! REALLY? Pathetic.. Goblin Shark... I just can't find words loathsome enough to describe the festering pile of pig vomit you have spewed... Big bonuses?! How about completely destroy market shares and run hp n2 the ground? On a market share the hasn't been tapped... Because it doesn't exist! Even if there was potential you brain dead *****s... No one trusts you... You thieving madoff morons! And I would never trust you with my business... You don't even know how to run one....

HP... I had the LOWEST of expectations... And still am disappointed...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    The math:

If HP lays of 525 employees with an average cost, including benefits, of $150k/year apiece (BIG stretch there) then they just saved themselve a whopping $79 million. Compare that to the $1.2 Billion they paid for webOS or the massive devaluation in HP stock after Leo tanked the entire company.

This lay-off does nothing to save money for HP but manages to strangle one more supply of revenue.

Standing ovation for Leo the *****.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Id easily cover these employees severance packages to get my hands on a Verizon Pre 3.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast