• 2 Post By ilovedessert
  • 3 Post By intellidryad
  • 1 Post By STARGATE
  • 2 Post By gbp
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By nhavar
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Leo has setepped into up to his neck....See link.

take care,

Jay

September 14, 2011
    Analyst: Investor 'Exasperation' With HP at High
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...gewanted=print

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) Analyst Toni Sacconaghi Jr. with Bernstein Research says that the "overwhelming majority" of Hewlett-Packard's large shareholders are opposed to HP's proposed acquisition of business software maker Autonomy Corp., a roughly $10 billion deal that would be one of the biggest takeovers in HP's 72-year history. He added that, while his firm considers chances low that HP itself might be acquired, "we don't see it as completely implausible" that a company such as Oracle Corp. could buy HP, particularly given the "boldness and unpredictability" of Oracle CEO Larry Ellison.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    gbp and C-Note like this.
    I really hope oracle doesnt waste money on hp.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I really hope oracle doesnt waste money on hp.
    Hi all,

...Instead I hope the stockholders throw Leo out and the door hits him on the way out!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    laoh and SmartFah like this.
    I don't care if it's Oracle or not, but if someone comes in and kicks Leo and his gang (including that CFO) out to the curb, I'll be happy.
    ilovedessert, gbp and C-Note like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    I don't care if it's Oracle or not, but if someone comes in and kicks Leo and his gang (including that CFO) out to the curb, I'll be happy.
    Wow! You read my mind
    I'm with you, as a matter of fact, I would love to get a chance to kick Leo's face
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    ilovedessert likes this.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If they fail to get any increased profit from Autonomy for the next quarter , Leo is toast.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    If they fail to get any increased profit from Autonomy for the next quarter , Leo is toast.
    Speaking of which, I am ready when they put a firesale for laptops.
    SmartFah and sledge007 like this.
    the entire board needs to leave. Time for a proxy fight lead by bradley and dewitt.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Leo has setepped into up to his neck....See link.

take care,

Jay

September 14, 2011
    Analyst: Investor 'Exasperation' With HP at High
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...gewanted=print

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Analyst Toni Sacconaghi Jr. with Bernstein Research says that the "overwhelming majority" of Hewlett-Packard's large shareholders are opposed to HP's proposed acquisition of business software maker Autonomy Corp., a roughly $10 billion deal that would be one of the biggest takeovers in HP's 72-year history. He added that, while his firm considers chances low that HP itself might be acquired, "we don't see it as completely implausible" that a company such as Oracle Corp. could buy HP, particularly given the "boldness and unpredictability" of Oracle CEO Larry Ellison.
    While this may be the case, I read an expanded version of this on Bloomberg today that talks about this very issue, but notes that options traders are bullish on HP & expect the stock to rebound 53%. They also predict that the current shareholder vs. managment angst will fizzle over time. Anyway, there's a lot of spin in both directions, but there's a lot more to the story than the NYT snippet.

Hewlett-Packard Bulls Bet Strategy Shift Will Spur 53% Stock Gain: Options - Bloomberg
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    While this may be the case, I read an expanded version of this on Bloomberg today that talks about this very issue, but notes that options traders are bullish on HP & expect the stock to rebound 53%. They also predict that the current shareholder vs. managment angst will fizzle over time. Anyway, there's a lot of spin in both directions, but there's a lot more to the story than the NYT snippet.

Hewlett-Packard Bulls Bet Strategy Shift Will Spur 53% Stock Gain: Options - Bloomberg
    While the option traders might be right, I have a solid reasoning for HP to fail. The business is split into (Software products + IT services + Printer ) and (computer hardware + mobile)at a high level.

Revenues from the services are can change any time. Its a big fish eat small fish game. IBM and the other consulting companies can eat HP for breakfast,lunch and dinner. So no silver bullet there.

HP claims they make less than 10% on computers. While Apple says their margin is above 30%. With the PAG division gone, HP will have a fickle business in terms of revenue.
  11.    #11  
    While the option traders might be right, I have a solid reasoning for HP to fail. The business is split into (Software products + IT services + Printer ) and (computer hardware + mobile)at a high level.

Revenues from the services are can change any time. Its a big fish eat small fish game. IBM and the other consulting companies can eat HP for breakfast,lunch and dinner. So no silver bullet there.

HP claims they make less than 10% on computers. While Apple says their margin is above 30%. With the PAG division gone, HP will have a fickle business in terms of revenue.
    Hi,

you hit the nail on the head....besides why does every division have to make a huge profit on all items...HP has made solid money on PC's for decades and still can...without Leo...Leo is turn HP into SAP!

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

You left out storage. Sadly, they are considered one of the major storage vendors.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I was really hopeful that Leo, with his enterprise software experience would come in and balance out HP. Help HP to produce some higher quality software and a broader product offering. My assumption was that as a seasoned professional holding multiple leadership positions over the last 20 years in a very large company, he knew how to play the game. I was wrong.

Leo and many of the board members need to be let go for one reason and one reason only. They failed to protect shareholder value. Whether or not the stock will rebound in the long term is moot. The point is that the need for a rebound shouldn't be there or the amount of rebound should be greatly reduced. Saying that the stock will rebound is fine when the sole reason for the dip is a weak economy or uncontrollable factors. That is not the case. While a weak economy contributed to some declining sales, those problems exist for all of the PC market, not just HP. And while analysts see the move by HP into the service/software market as positive long term, that doesn't give HP a pass for a poorly executed short term vision.

What seems to be in agreement is that
    1) HP is spending too much for too little
    2) HP is handling customer and partner relations haphazardly and in a purely reactionary mode
    3) No one at HP seems to be able to provide any solid answers regarding the current direction

These are additional reasons that there needs to be a shake-up.

The board and the CEO are there to protect shareholder value long term AND short term. Leo and the new board have shed about half of shareholder value in just 6 months and provided no guidance on when they would expect to see a rebound or when their ultimate plans will actually come to fruition.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I was really hopeful that Leo, with his enterprise software experience would come in and balance out HP. Help HP to produce some higher quality software and a broader product offering. My assumption was that as a seasoned professional holding multiple leadership positions over the last 20 years in a very large company, he knew how to play the game. I was wrong.

Leo and many of the board members need to be let go for one reason and one reason only. They failed to protect shareholder value. Whether or not the stock will rebound in the long term is moot. The point is that the need for a rebound shouldn't be there or the amount of rebound should be greatly reduced. Saying that the stock will rebound is fine when the sole reason for the dip is a weak economy or uncontrollable factors. That is not the case. While a weak economy contributed to some declining sales, those problems exist for all of the PC market, not just HP. And while analysts see the move by HP into the service/software market as positive long term, that doesn't give HP a pass for a poorly executed short term vision.

What seems to be in agreement is that
    2) HP is handling customer and partner relations haphazardly and in a purely reactionary mode
    3) No one at HP seems to be able to provide any solid answers regarding the current direction

These are additional reasons that there needs to be a shake-up.

The board and the CEO are there to protect shareholder value long term AND short term. Leo and the new board have shed about half of shareholder value in just 6 months and provided no guidance on when they would expect to see a rebound or when their ultimate plans will actually come to fruition.
    Dear nhavar,

Well stated & thank you.

You hit EVERY major point....Leo is running HP into the ground trying to turn it into another SAP....you are 100% correct, the stock tanked and the vast a majority is b/c of his and the boards actions, not the economy....

Not just have you summed up how most of us feel, you seem to crystallize how Wall Street feels as well!

We are starting to see a little push back from the stockholders as HP keeps changing it's mind on what to do with the business once it splits HP up...first they've selling the PC division then change their minds...then they talked about unloading webOS along with the hardware and no they want to keep it....

The next stockholder's meeting is going to be a humdinger....Leo is going to need to develop Rino hide....

Take care,

Jay
    Here is an article that nails Leo's business insanity perfectly:

How HP CEO Leo Apotheker Is Running HP Into the Ground - Hewlett Packard news from Channel Insider

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Maybe they won't any increased profit, maybe they won't even get Autonomy. About half of the Autonomy stock holders are not approving the merger.

Let's just wait till this merger fails, Leo is toast but HP will be very screwed, too. If PSG & Tod managed to get split out before everything falls apart, maybe they could escape this train wreak before it burns into the ground. Sadly, Leo seems to insist on having webOS dying along with him as he has cut the software part out of PSG...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Maybe they won't any increased profit, maybe they won't even get Autonomy. About half of the Autonomy stock holders are not approving the merger.

Let's just wait till this merger fails, Leo is toast but HP will be very screwed, too. If PSG & Tod managed to get split out before everything falls apart, maybe they could escape this train wreak before it burns into the ground. Sadly, Leo seems to insist on having webOS dying along with him as he has cut the software part out of PSG...
    Hi all,

Most of Wall street thinks HP is grossly over paying for Autonomy...if the merger doesn't go thru....I doubt Leo will last regardless if he was able to pack the board with 4 cronies!

Take care,

jay
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Reality is that webOS fails under this remark. It's overpaid failure (OK, it failed because HP's inability to manage it correctly), but PSG is also in this group, not so drastically like webOS, but HP could use PSG's 40 billion for larger profit than 5 - 2 billion they get back from PC sales.
    Way Leo and board handled transition announcement, and manner they treated webOS and webOS products is scandalous, but primary logic is correct.
    Last edited by chalx; 09/16/2011 at 07:06 PM.