Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1.    #1  
    Interview with Lane and Robison:
    Author thinks Lane said the following:

PSG spun off but HP keeps close ties.
    HP gets into managed cloud services that don't take a lot of consulting.
    HP gets into managing unstructured data.
    Thus HP gets into spaces not dominated by Oracle or IBM at this point.

As for webOS, it sounds like HP is hoping much to do a deal with HTC or Samsung or both. Here are the relevant excerpts:

"...HP thinks that consumer devices will largely be build Pacific Rim powerhouses like Samsung and HTC, and thus it is exiting that low-margin business. It is not, however, dumping webOS, which it sees as a far superior environment for commercial applications and app development versus Android. HP wants to help drive information to mobile devices, but not make them. ...

...While Lane says HP will do right by the personal systems group, he didn't offer specifics. Would it be a spinout like Agilent or an outright sale with a deal for ongoing support like IBM did with Lenovo? Lane said he didn't know yet what would happen. The same was true for webOS. How would HP solve the chicken and egg problem of getting developers to write to a platform that almost no one was using? He didn't know yet, but he acknowledged the problem.

In acknowledging the problem, he also took a clear shot at Google and Android, calling it an unfit platform for commercial development. He also made a point of reminding the audience of the technical excellence of webOS, designed for the Web and for mobility, and he left the impression that serious developers should immediately see webOS's superiority versus Android. .."

IW500: Ray Lane Says HP Strategy Sound, Messaging Stinks - Global-cio - Executive insights/interviews - Informationweek
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    If I was a serious app developer for mobile phones, I would be concentrating on the audiences that numbered in the hundreds-of-thousands or millions (Android / iPhone). Why develop for a small market when the potential ROI is so low?

MAYBE the TouchPad fire sale helps to create a better market for app developers... IF people hold on to their TouchPads long enough to use/appreciate WebOS, rather than dumping it because it's not an iPad.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    If I was a serious app developer for mobile phones, I would be concentrating on the audiences that numbered in the hundreds-of-thousands or millions (Android / iPhone). Why develop for a small market when the potential ROI is so low?

MAYBE the TouchPad fire sale helps to create a better market for app developers... IF people hold on to their TouchPads long enough to use/appreciate WebOS, rather than dumping it because it's not an iPad.
    They want to do a deal with the Korean manufacturers, read the quotes again.
    Then there will be hardware.
    Also they will keep close ties with PSG, which suggests that PSG will make hardware as well.
    Did you notice that none of the Palm hardware staff has been laid off?

This isn't over by a long shot.
    LCGuy, Rnp and TheDewWorm like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    the touchpad fire sale has created a better market already...

#2 tablet right now

more touchpads in the market right now than all other tablets combined, not counting the iPad
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

vella_ likes this.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Shouldn't the topic read: "HP finally admits it has no strategy"????
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think people have to be clear about what he's aiming for - he's trying to reposition WebOS as the OS of choice for developing commerical applications which runs on top of existing operating system - this in turn fits with their overall aim of being an enterprise only business once they sell-off the PSG. This has very little to do with the consumer space.

This is made clearer in a previous article in information weekly:

By separating the webOS mobile operating system from the hardware business, Lane said HP will be able to take advantage of what he described as "the best platform in the world" for commercial application development. "You cannot develop serious, portable applications on Android," Lane said, noting that the Web app development platform behind webOS can port applications to Andoid, Apple iOS, or Windows as well as webOS.

How can HP take advantage of webOS if it's not used on any smartphones or tablets? Robison said HP is in discussion with partners and that it intends to give webOS and its Web app development environment a life of its own as a platform for the industry. "It provides a common platform on which you can develop applications and deploy them on any operating system of choice," he said.
    The future for WebOS is as platform not a seperate OS.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/14/2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomsayersWereRight View Post
    Yikes. They are still trying to make a pitch for the platform even though there is no hardware that is scheduled to be developed? I'm guessing that serious developers will spend their time working on a platform that has some kind of future planned. I'm sure the employees in the PSG are relieved that HP will be making it right for them.
    I'm sure the PSG group will all be thrilled with a $50 Mail in Rebates if they buy some consulting services.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    They want to do a deal with the Korean manufacturers, read the quotes again.
    Which quote? I can see nothing in there about them wanting to do a deal with Korean manufacturers.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which quote? I can see nothing in there about them wanting to do a deal with Korean manufacturers.
    Implied but stated explicitly by the article author and I agree. webOS won't have enough legs just as the underpinning for some commercial apps, it needs to be the OS for at least one Korean manufacturer in order for the devs to write also the commercial applications.
    webOS fate is in the hands of HTC, Samsung, even Qualcomm according to Derek's article on the front page. Sounds like HTC is evaluating it seriously but it may be a process (another 4-6 weeks I am guessing?). I read earlier that webOS is only optimized for Qualcomm chip and I don't know what chips HTC uses.

Go forth and buy apps to encourage the dealmaking.
    "...HP thinks that consumer devices will largely be build Pacific Rim powerhouses like Samsung and HTC, and thus it is exiting that low-margin business.

That doesn't equal "HP wants to make a deal with a Korean manufacturer." Unless you left a relevant part of the quote out.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

#2 tablet right now

more touchpads in the market right now than all other tablets combined, not counting the iPad
    #2 tablet does not equal #2 platform.

@below: I don't want to read the entire article.

edit: Read the article, I did not see where it was implied that HP wants to deal with a Korean manufacture aside from acknowledging that Korean manufactures will be dominating the consumer device market.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    "...HP thinks that consumer devices will largely be build Pacific Rim powerhouses like Samsung and HTC, and thus it is exiting that low-margin business.

That doesn't equal "HP wants to make a deal with a Korean manufacturer." Unless you left a relevant part of the quote out.
    Read my post above for my reasoning, also read the entire article
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Sounds like HTC is evaluating it seriously
    There is no evidence of this - there is a single article by the HTC chairwoman where she said that internally they had considered the question of buying an OS but were in no rush. She also then went on to say that it's not particularly important to them because they can add value to their phones via the Sense UI and that allows for differentiation. That was the start and end of her comment. WebOS is not mentioned.

Since tech journalists need to have hits and will literally just make stuff up, four hours later this had morphed into "HTC is considering buying WebOS". In the same way that people were saying that Samsung were looking to buy WebOS, right upto the point where the CEO said "nope".
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

#2 tablet right now

yeah, sure! I'd like to have something of what you are smoking!

Asus Transformer alone outsells TouchPads, firesale and all.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There is no evidence of this - there is a single article by the HTC chairwoman where she said that internally they had considered the question of buying an OS but were in no rush. She also then went on to say that it's not particularly important to them because they can add value to their phones via the Sense UI and that allows for differentiation. That was the start and end of her comment. WebOS is not mentioned.

Since tech journalists need to have hits and will literally just make stuff up, four hours later this had morphed into "HTC is considering buying WebOS". In the same way that people were saying that Samsung were looking to buy WebOS, right upto the point where the CEO said "nope".
    "Were in no rush" could also mean they are in the process of evaluation.
    The rest of it could be public and private posturing.

But I agree. Very ambiguous. We will have to see what develops behind the scenes in the next 3 months. In the meantime, I am enjoying my TouchPad, Pre phones and apps, so am fine to wait.
    Putz... other thread that gonna change - again - in "I believe"// "I don't think so" // etc...

Well, what is important to me, he told in article: the webOS gonna continue! The rest, is the rest...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    HP definitely wants to keep webOS, it seems. I'm not sure if they think they can "license" or if they intend to make offers to a Pacific Rim manufacturer ("we'll pay you to build webOS phones!") to get the platform back out there. HP just doesn't want to make these things at home, evidently.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    He also made a point of reminding the audience of the technical excellence of webOS, designed for the Web and for mobility, and he left the impression that serious developers should immediately see webOS's superiority versus Android. .."
    speaking as an experienced mobile developer on multiple modern OSs, i prefer to develop for webos and believe it is in many ways (not all!) superior, technically excellent, etc. so in some sense i agree with what he's saying.

however i'm a webos user and "fan". if i were building a business on building mobile apps (which i'm not- i have a day job and only make apps for my own personal use, largely due to visa restrictions whilst living in the UK), i would NOT be choosing webOS. although it hurts me to say it.

so he's not wrong, but it's irrelevant really.
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    speaking as an experienced mobile developer on multiple modern OSs, i prefer to develop for webos and believe it is in many ways (not all!) superior, technically excellent, etc. so in some sense i agree with what he's saying.

however i'm a webos user and "fan". if i were building a business on building mobile apps (which i'm not- i have a day job and only make apps for my own personal use, largely due to visa restrictions whilst living in the UK), i would NOT be choosing webOS. although it hurts me to say it.

so he's not wrong, but it's irrelevant really.
    yes, that is why they need the deal with samsung or htc--they need to capitalize on the current buzz in the consumer space to drive the business space and vice-versa. Lane may not want to say this aloud as if he is negotiating, it reveals a vulnerability in the midst of talks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast