Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    yes, that is why they need the deal with samsung or htc--they need to capitalize on the current buzz in the consumer space to drive the business space and vice-versa. Lane may not want to say this aloud as if he is negotiating, it reveals a vulnerability in the midst of talks.
    Current buzz is how cheap this tablet is. It's not about how great webOS tablet. And why would Samsung or HTC invest heavily on HP's product at this point. HP doesn't even know what they are going to do in the future. HP needs to change their leadership, otherwise this giant ship will be sinking faster than Titanic.
    SmartFah and mich.bushi like this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    If I was a serious app developer for mobile phones, I would be concentrating on the audiences that numbered in the hundreds-of-thousands or millions (Android / iPhone). Why develop for a small market when the potential ROI is so low?

MAYBE the TouchPad fire sale helps to create a better market for app developers... IF people hold on to their TouchPads long enough to use/appreciate WebOS, rather than dumping it because it's not an iPad.
    Smaller markets may actually produce higher margin. The iPhone and Android markets are largely dominated by free apps. It's hard to make money with an app when there are 500 out there with similar features that are either ad supported or completely free. Smaller markets means more dedicated users who may be more willing to pay real money.

The other possibility is that you get in on a market that has some growth potential to it, where you can build your brand by leveraging someone else's brand. It makes your company appear cutting edge (if the platform turns around). If the platform doesn't turn around then you gain experience that shows some depth. Depth of experience can look good to companies looking for a development team to build apps. If all they see is Android or iOS on their list they might look elsewhere. If they see iOS, Android and webOS then there's a great possibility of getting hired "Hey I see you have Android and webOS experience, have you thought about Windows8? We have a project we're thinking about."

Having said all that, it still is a very hard sale. People aren't willing to take the risks they used to. The whole concept of long haul research and development, focus on innovation, being on the cutting edge, seems to have fallen away to following the pack, taking the safe road, and seeing where others are going before making any commitment.
    bluenote, DS_Palm_Lvr and Sine. like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxeh View Post
    I'm not sure if they think they can "license" or if they intend to make offers to a Pacific Rim manufacturer ("we'll pay you to build webOS phones!") to get the platform back out there.
    ...yeah... because they have demonstrated so well and so many times how "fully committed" and willing to invest in webOS they are...

They just wrote webOS off, in reality
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Smaller markets may actually produce higher margin. The iPhone and Android markets are largely dominated by free apps. It's hard to make money with an app when there are 500 out there with similar features that are either ad supported or completely free. Smaller markets means more dedicated users who may be more willing to pay real money.

The other possibility is that you get in on a market that has some growth potential to it, where you can build your brand by leveraging someone else's brand. It makes your company appear cutting edge (if the platform turns around). If the platform doesn't turn around then you gain experience that shows some depth. Depth of experience can look good to companies looking for a development team to build apps. If all they see is Android or iOS on their list they might look elsewhere. If they see iOS, Android and webOS then there's a great possibility of getting hired "Hey I see you have Android and webOS experience, have you thought about Windows8? We have a project we're thinking about."

Having said all that, it still is a very hard sale. People aren't willing to take the risks they used to. The whole concept of long haul research and development, focus on innovation, being on the cutting edge, seems to have fallen away to following the pack, taking the safe road, and seeing where others are going before making any commitment.
    Interesting to note that research2guidance a market research company recently released some data on the average number of downloads per app per platform (Apple's app store is used as the base) - I'll be interested to see if the WebOS store has moved significantly since q2:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0907172156.jpg
    ...While Lane says HP will do right by the personal systems group
    The words "HP" and "right" cannot co-exist...
    JLegacy likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Current buzz is how cheap this tablet is.
    Started with cheapness but cheapness alone is no longer driving price. Inventories were quickly depleted and ebay and Amazon became the most reliable places to check what current buyers are willing to pay for the tablet. At the $269 Amazon price, this tablet is no longer so much cheaper than low-end Android, its been the #1 selling tablet at Amazon for almost a month, long after firesale inventory was depleted.

ps Got the new Amazon website look when I opened up the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    The words "HP" and "right" cannot co-exist...
    This is funny, and sad at the same time, because it's true. *sigh*
    Started with cheapness but cheapness alone is no longer driving price. Inventories were quickly depleted and ebay and Amazon became the most reliable places to check what current buyers are willing to pay for the tablet. At the $269 Amazon price, this tablet is no longer so much cheaper than low-end Android, its been the #1 selling tablet at Amazon for almost a month, long after firesale inventory was depleted.

ps Got the new Amazon website look when I opened up the browser.
    But you can't say what is motivating demand such that people are willing to pay those prices. People aren't necessarily comparing the $269 price to an Android tablet. A strong motivator is probably just comparing that to the original list price. Also, some of those buyers may be those webOS diehards that missed out on the firesale and want to get a webOS tablet while they can. There's no way to know for sure other than the fact that people were not willing to buy the TouchPad for 399, 499, or 599.

I suppose we're just left with speculation. I don't really find webOS so compelling an experience that I'd purchase another device with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mich.bushi View Post
    ...yeah... because they have demonstrated so well and so many times how "fully committed" and willing to invest in webOS they are...

They just wrote webOS off, in reality
    That was what I was implying. It's clear HP initially wanted to keep webOS for itself, but I find it hard to imagine that cutting it off at the neck is going to make that platform very appealing to potential partners.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    There's no way to know for sure other than the fact that people were not willing to buy the TouchPad for 399, 499, or 599.
    I can't speak for $399, but I thought the other price points were foolhardy at best despite PreCentral's reasoning for it (back before I had an account here). I have an iPad 2 and an HP Touchpad both in front of me. The iPad 2 is quite noticeably lighter, yet feels more solid, is metal, thinner, faster, more responsive; otherwise vastly superior to the Touchpad in almost every way, physically. Anyone looking at these two devices in store would have to be out of their mind to pick the Touchpad over it at the same starting price.

Once you settle down with webOS I realize it becomes a different story, but with that being said, to say that webOS on the Touchpad is rough around the edges is a severe understatement.
    I don't really find webOS so compelling an experience that I'd purchase another device with it.
    Each one is each one, because I cannot say the same...

HP doesn't even know what they are going to do in the future.
    I don't know what is worst: if they really don't know or if they know...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    ... And why would Samsung or HTC invest heavily on HP's product at this point. HP doesn't even know what they are going to do in the future. HP needs to change their leadership, otherwise this giant ship will be sinking faster than Titanic.
    That's right. Main problem for any licensing is HP and not current state of webOS (which is bad). HP played so badly in recent days so I can't see any successful company as their hardware partner. Maybe, only webOS buyout, but that chance is also missed IMO.
  12.    #32  
    Another article with more clarity:

"...One CIO in the audience asked Lane and Robison why, after emphasizing the uniqueness of WebOS, HP now appears to have no way to take advantage of it after dropping its TouchPad and smart phones.

Lane said HP is currently in discussions with potential partners who are competitors with Apple and its iOS operating system, and with Google and its Android technology.

"There's a lot of people out there, and a lot of devices, that would like to have WebOS as an alternative to Android," he added. "So you're right. We need the places to put it, and we need to drive volumes so developers have that volume. . . . Without that distribution, the capability is meaningless."

HP's goal is to give WebOS a life of its own as a platform for the industry, especially for enterprises, Robison said.

"Our view is, enterprises are going to develop Web applications as well," he said. "And they're going to deploy them using modern service-based business models. So we'll have a platform for enterprise Web app developers, for consumer Web app developers, that can span all the existing operating system environments. What we're trying to do is come up with a business model and a future for WebOS that's consistent with that."

http://www.crn.com/news/applications...orm.htm?pgno=2
    What exactly is a "platform for enterprise web app developers, for consumer web app developers, that can span all the existing operating systems environments?"

Isn't he describing HTML5?
    mich.bushi likes this.
    everyday brings a new rumor, when will webOS fans believe webOS is so badly crippled by Leo that even a full reboot wont save it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  15. agx
    Ray just talks and talks full of crap. And that dumb *** CEO is not talking at all now. I am a huge fan of webOS. I just don't see how webOS will survive given the stupidity of that dumb-*** duo (Ray and Leo). I wish some company would just buy webOS from HP before HP runs it to the gound.
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    If I was a serious app developer for mobile phones, I would be concentrating on the audiences that numbered in the hundreds-of-thousands or millions (Android / iPhone). Why develop for a small market when the potential ROI is so low?

MAYBE the TouchPad fire sale helps to create a better market for app developers... IF people hold on to their TouchPads long enough to use/appreciate WebOS, rather than dumping it because it's not an iPad.
    If you develop for WebOS, aren't you technically developing for the web since ... you know ... WebOS app's can be built with the same coding?

They want to do a deal with the Korean manufacturers, read the quotes again.
    Then there will be hardware.
    Also they will keep close ties with PSG, which suggests that PSG will make hardware as well.
    Did you notice that none of the Palm hardware staff has been laid off?

This isn't over by a long shot.
    I agree that it is possible for PSG to develop tablets again, but I think it will be Windows 8 and WebOS tablets. But they will probably be sneaky and put WebOS browser (whatever they planned on doing for PC's) so if you buy a Windows 8 tablet your also buying WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What exactly is a "platform for enterprise web app developers, for consumer web app developers, that can span all the existing operating systems environments?"

Isn't he describing HTML5?
    It ain't webOS for sure.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12