1.    #1  
    Qualcomm sidesteps webOS acquisition questions

I haven't got impression Qualcomm is interested, but it seems Slashgear sees Qualcomm still as possible suitor.

".. Jacobs was not short of praise for webOS, pointing to the platform’s web-centric development and app framework, and saying that it did fall in line, in that sense, with Qualcomm’s own vision of the mobile future. webOS apps are native to the device they’re loaded to, rather than dwelling in the cloud, but are built using the same standard HTML, CSS and JavaScript as their web-based counterparts. A JavaScript framework around that then gives standardized UI widgets, and access to selected device hardware and services.

The lack of an outright denial by Jacobs is unlikely to see Qualcomm removed from the unofficial list of potential webOS suitors. Still, as a possibility it does seem somewhat unlikely: as one analyst pointed out to SlashGear at IQ2011, Qualcomm’s motivation with BREW was the absence of any suitable competing platform for the entry-level smartphone segment.
    "
    WebOS 3 was optimized (but, not fully, because hardware development was ceased a month ago by HP) for their chipset, so, they do have much invested in seeing the OS succeed, however, Qualcomm's business is their chip design/manufacturing and their huge patent portfolio that they manage.

Brew is all but extinct at this point; I doubt, highly, that they would want to get involved licensing WebOS OR producing their own hardware with it on it, but, I DO believe that they would be very likly to "work" with another hardware manufacturer that would either buy or engage in a joint venture with HP to produce WebOS hardware, perhaps at a discounted price per chip from Qualcomm, to help get a return on their work with WebOS to date.

Just a thought.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    WebOS 3 was optimized (but, not fully, because hardware development was ceased a month ago by HP) for their chipset, so, they do have much invested in seeing the OS succeed, however, Qualcomm's business is their chip design/manufacturing and their huge patent portfolio that they manage.

Brew is all but extinct at this point; I doubt, highly, that they would want to get involved licensing WebOS OR producing their own hardware with it on it, but, I DO believe that they would be very likly to "work" with another hardware manufacturer that would either buy or engage in a joint venture with HP to produce WebOS hardware, perhaps at a discounted price per chip from Qualcomm, to help get a return on their work with WebOS to date.

Just a thought.
    makes sense to me
  4.    #4  
    HTC is Qualcomm's strategic partner for years (HTC is Qualcomm exclusive).
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Qualcomm's Senior VP of Product Management told Pocket-Lint earlier today that "We are happy to support webOS, whoever buys it," and also included, "We don’t make hardware. And it wouldn’t make much sense to own another operating system." (As we shared yesterday, Qualcomm manages the BREW OS for dumbphones)
    Qualcom not interested in buying webOS; Continuing support for future devices | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Oh well...
    So who's next up on the list of potentials? Batter up!
    HTC EVO 3D² powered by WebOS. That would be my dream. And I bet HTC was the "partner" for licensee however after HP's handle of WebOS Press HTC might have changes minds stating we'll buy it from you in order to save WebOS from horrible choices.