Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree49Likes
    I bet that a million people will buy a Touchpad 2 , if they release a thinner, speedier and bug-free version in six months
    Hey! I don't know about his millions, but I buy this guy that you are talking about...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    If H/P satisfy demand for TP, Leo would be automatically fired. At 200 dollars loss a tablet, 5.6 million TP's would cost H/P 1.12 billion loss. Shareholders would fire him there and then.
    I am an HP shareholder! I've like to vote to fire Leo with my impressive stash of 100 shares (that I bought before the nosedive... Thanks Leo!)
    5.6 million requests for touchpad. HP has acknowledged they expect to have between 100,000 and 200,000 available when they build out the parts in the supply chain.

That means they will have a touchpad for 3.6% of those that want them at the fire sale price. There are going to be a lot of unhappy people
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Disclaimer : I cannot produce evidence on this information.

Buddy of mine, who works for HP said the system which sends the notifications when touchpad is available had 5.6 million requests from a mix of unique and duplicate email accounts.

Granted its $99.00 that did it , but HP should think about continuing Tablet business. Future is Tablets.
    I entered 3 of my email addresses, and 2 of my Mrs'. She entered some of her siblings' in too. I suspect lots of others did the same and that the 5.6 number is nowhere near representative of the actual number of unique, interested parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why do you think this is good? I think this is pathetic. Even at $99 HP cannot generate the interest that the iPad does. I am NO APPLE FAN, but they sold 9.25 million iPads in their third quarter, and HP is claiming (well, your buddy is) that they only got 5.6 million requests for a $99 TouchPad?

If that doesn't tell a prospective webOS buyer to stay away, nothing else will.

Well apple has their iZombies, people who buy at the highest possible price with the hope that one day they will be cool! Thats a hard nut to crack for any tech company, but soon apple will do a misstake and fall of the chair, thats just a matter of time.

Id like to think of Webos People as the ones who stops and ponders the differences, not just the color of a device.

Most people didnt even know about the TP going 99$ and once alot of people knew, word on the street was that there will be no more.

ive shown my Tpad to like 30 people (friends, family, friends of friends etc.) and atleast 20 have said that if the opportunity arises again BUY me one for gods sake.

The TPAD is by far the easiest pad to learn for non techies!
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    I entered 3 of my email addresses, and 2 of my Mrs'. She entered some of her siblings' in too. I suspect lots of others did the same and that the 5.6 number is nowhere near representative of the actual number of unique, interested parties.
    But how many TouchPads do you and your collection of email addresses plan to buy? I keep seeing folks post "I only got 3 and I'm hoping to get 'x' more in round 2 of the Firesale". I'm going to go out on a limb (checking to see if there is green foliage on the limb first) and suggest that of the 5.6 million, there are about 3.185 million actual units that would get purchased if they were available...at the $99/$149 price. That's just a WAG of course, but I do think there is a decent amount of demand represented by the 5.6 mil requests.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

gbp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    5.6 million requests for touchpad. HP has acknowledged they expect to have between 100,000 and 200,000 available when they build out the parts in the supply chain.

That means they will have a touchpad for 3.6% of those that want them at the fire sale price. There are going to be a lot of unhappy people
    I've been thinking the same thing...and I'm already worried for myself. But let's not make this about me! Let's just get me a TouchPad so we can move on to making this about you, and you, and you....and...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Too many people are looking at just the tablet market for what has been going on, and without taking a couple of steps back, you miss some basic things that explain what went right and what went wrong with how HP handled webOS.

We have to start back with the original iPhone, since the iPad is based on the iPhone. The iPhone really was different, being a slab design without a keyboard, and for the time, a large touchscreen. Between a lot of the pre-sale hype that Apple put out there, from commercials and such, there was a lot of excitement that Apple generated for the first iPhone. Apple also had a cult following that was ready to buy ANYTHING that Apple made available for sale.

So, the initial iPhone sales did well...no tablet, and for many people, it would be their first experience with a smartphone of any kind, so it generated a lot of excitement. And that excitement DID continue due to Apple knowing how to market a product.

Now, you had several generations of iPhone, and eventually the initial iPad. To that point, iPad owners were for the most part iPhone or iPod Touch users who loved the idea of a larger device for their non-phone related stuff.

Note that without the iPhone being popular, the iPad would have flopped, because Apple would not have had the user base ready to jump on it from a Mac, and PC people would have seen the limitations. There would have been SOME sales, but in general, the iPhone is the ONLY reason the iPad did well.

So, let's look at the Touchpad. WebOS had mostly faded from the public consciousness, there were no phones that were being talked about, or even advertised. So, the Veer came out, a TINY little phone at 2.5 inches for the screen, compared the 3.5 inch and larger phones out on the market....and it didn't sell well. AT&T exclusive in the USA, and AT&T didn't push it since it is a TINY phone.

So, the Veer did very little to get webOS into the public eye....the advertisements helped a little when HP started to sell the Touchpad, but there was no mainstream phone that would really compare well, even against the iPhone 4(which was out for over a year by the time advertising showed up). The Pre 3 was not being talked about at all....so, no phone presence, people didn't know about webOS, and the Touchpad was being sold for the same price as the iPad. How many Touchpads were sold to people who did not already own a webOS based phone?

If the Pre 3 had been released in May instead of the Veer, and if it had advertising to back it up, the release of the Touchpad might have generated a lot more interest. Get the phone, and you use Touch to Share with the tablet would be a very cool and useful feature. Advertising the Touchstone would also have sold a LOT of phones and the Touchpad....no more plugging your phone in to charge it, just place it and you are good to go, and it doubles as an alarm clock, or it shows your agenda, maybe baseball news. How about "Would you like to NEVER worry about plugging your phone into a computer to make sure your data is safe? It automatically saves your information on Google and/or Yahoo! And all right from the start, no special apps needed!".

The Pre 3 being sold first would have changed how this all played out, and HP botched it. If HP had really pushed the Pre 2 to be sold on AT&T and Verizon, not just left in display cases to rot, that would have also helped get webOS out there in the public eye, and it would have been the same devices already made, but with HP behind it, it may have sold with the 1GHz processor(which the iPhone 4 still has).

HP just does not understand how to generate hype, and you don't see HP executives that are actually excited about HP products, so that is why the Touchpad failed. The fire sale did well because a $500 device being sold for $100 will sell very well.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post

No doubt. I knew many in my circle who are mad that their orders got cancelled. The key factor is price. Most of my friends ordered 2 plus.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    Yup, me too. I entered my two emails plus wife's. While the 5.6 number is not unique, but FWIW, it shows lots of interest for this gadget at $ 99.00.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlyix View Post

ive shown my Tpad to like 30 people (friends, family, friends of friends etc.) and atleast 20 have said that if the opportunity arises again BUY me one for gods sake.

The TPAD is by far the easiest pad to learn for non techies!
    +1

Just about everyone I showed were impressed, though they did not like the general slowness. And one hardcore iPhone guy accidentally swiped on his iPhone4 after using TP for couple of days.
    +1

Just about everyone I showed were impressed, though they did not like the general slowness. And one hardcore iPhone guy accidentally swiped on his iPhone4 after using TP for couple of days.
    Swipes are really hard to get rid of. I'm not using webOS actively for 8 months and still trying to swipe from time to time
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Within the course of one month, they've demonstrated twice just how cheap talk is... And they expect customers to buy there products and Services and investors to fund them?
    True That! The only reason HP is able to get their foot in the door of some many companies was the familiarity they established with their PSG based products.

There are TONS of companies trying to sell me services. I get easily 20 calls a week. Don't respond to any of them unless I have a previous business relationship with them (as a sales organization or a product maker)

I'll be curious to see how much headway HP will make this time next year with no reason for companies to talk to their sales people.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Interesting. Thanks. If the bulletin boards are right, then 2 quarters is too long. It will be before the calendar year end or right after so as to start the new year with a fresh slate.I understood he had the backing of the board, though, and vaguely remember him replacing a bunch of members. Guessing there would have to be intense shareholder pressure to change direction.
    You are right, 2 quarters is too long. HP has ONE LAST CHANCE! If they don't have a big announcement by the time the last run of discounted Touchpads hit the market, webOS is pretty much toast.

An announcement would need to be:

• of a funded spinoff of PSG, or
    • a committed partner arrangement for future hardware production/software development (with real dates).
    • the ouster of Leo and the boards and a public mea culpa.

Otherwise we get a week of buzz, then the attention... and the software development... and the user base begins to fade away.
    Don't know how many times in the last 6 months I've seen post from loyal OS users who are leaving because they simply cannot find hardware. AND THEY WANT TO BUY A DEVICE, it's really a shame.

Talk of HP's PSG making tablets or phones with other OS'es is laughable, like they are really going to be able to make a killing as the 81st or so model of Android tablet on the market?

Get 'er done, already!

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Yup, me too. I entered my two emails plus wife's. While the 5.6 number is not unique, but FWIW, it shows lots of interest for this gadget at $ 99.00.
    It's worth nothing because outside of a going out of business fire sale, there is no worthwhile $99 or even $199 tablet.

The only tablets HP will be making come next year will be Windows 8 tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why do you think this is good? I think this is pathetic. Even at $99 HP cannot generate the interest that the iPad does. I am NO APPLE FAN, but they sold 9.25 million iPads in their third quarter, and HP is claiming (well, your buddy is) that they only got 5.6 million requests for a $99 TouchPad?

If that doesn't tell a prospective webOS buyer to stay away, nothing else will.
    Have you been to an Apple store recently? It is a pseudo androgen place where uncool becomes genius, hype becomes reality. They sell image and ease of use. And people with money prefers to spend their money on Apple due to the image. If you want to stand out nicely and softly with an edge Apple give that to you, I mean not that you are getting it for real but in your mind that is what you think you are getting, little alchemy and hocus pocus that they have figured. And the bad thing is that it works. Apple turned the game around rigged it as it wanted.

None of the competitors have "stores" on the street.Apple has it and using it to max. They make good hardware bad software (owned a macbook and use debian on it), Itunes anyone?

Anyway I would never buy an Iphone or Ipad because I do not like the traps Apple put on all corners(hardware software). I have found what I needed in mobile devices called Webos(was a palm user prior), but now HP decided to take it all down. I just hope that Webos will live longer.

I do not care about apps but I care about ability to freely download and install ssh on the devices I own and start messing around without voiding my warranty.
    The iPad just flat out works. The app store is full of great apps. The iPad is a no excuses device.

The Touchpad is full of - yeah, but...

I do not own an iPhone or an iPad. My wife does have a first generation iPod Touch, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post

The Touchpad is full of - yeah, but...

I am sure Ipad kicks as a device, but $99 for a tablet is a remarkable and respectable achievement in my view. You are getting something for $99 and does most of the things one needs during daily life plus keeps running for some remarkable time without a charge.

I have rigged up my Pre2 and TP. They do everything I need and more as of now. And total cost of both devices not were near half of those Pads by Samsung and Apple. And I just pay $12 a month for couple hours of talk + 10 mb data which is more than sufficient for me. Maybe I am too cheap but this is highly optimized situation given that the economy is in perils. Yeah If I was making couple million dollars a year I would not have hesitated buying couple Ipads, androids and webos for the heck of it and give them as gifts, send to those who need computers. The reality is that I am not making such accounts and need to be careful with what I have. Again I thank HP for giving such privileges for such neat price. What can I say.

My only only disappointment is with the cameras. Even my Palm Treo had a close up option. None of the cameras on the new devices has such option. That is the only thing I might have wished for.

I also would like to thank all the developers and supporters of Preware. Without their efforts Webos would have been drier if you will.
    Last edited by karun; 09/20/2011 at 11:22 PM.
    But the Touchpad is not a $99 tablet outside of the fire sale.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tnguy88 View Post
    Someone please start a Fire Leo Thread!!
    its funny that you wanted a separate thread before it happened.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123