Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by konrads View Post
    I wonder where they find these people ?? Fiorina, Hurd, Apothekar. Are they trying to crash the company on purpose ?

Compaq killed DEC, HP killed Compaq, HP killed itself. Lenovo laughs.
    Not just CEOs but the whole board needs to be responsible for the mess. HP needs to get back to it's core values and appoint fresh blood with an appetite for product innovation and a clear vision of customers' needs.

Following the announcement, billions were wiped off HP stock, billions are to be overpaid for acquisition, and millions have to be written off for the fire sale. Where's the business sense in that?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjonvon View Post
    two articles to support the shareholders aren't taking this so lightly...
    Hewlett-Packard CCO Bill Wohl Reassigned - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD
    Leo's buddy that was the head of communications is sent off to some far away place after the announcement before the earnings call.

Executive Moves Continue at HP as Investor Relations VP Leaves - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD
    and of course exhibit two which is more compelling is the departure of the VP of Investor Relations. I don't think he wants to answer his phone right now (maybe it's a webOS phone).
    those guys don't create strategy. Is the strategy and execution the issue or just that it was not communicated well?
    Quote Originally Posted by karun View Post
    I am very happy with mine. Sorry to hear that you have those issues, sounds like an expectation issue to me? This thing outperformed all kinds of expectations I had personally. It is just too good. I would have never paid for an Ipad(too expensive for my taste) or an Android tablet(I just hate Google). Webos was hollistically the right choice at right time. Thanks HP for failing yourself which led to the lovely price reduction that introduced me to WebOS.
    My story and sentiments exactly. My Touchpad is terrific as is WebOS.
    webos / palm / hardware is giving HP a return of 2% on investment. Their software business is returning 15%. That's why they're focusing on software side of the house, and that's why the phones and tablets are being dropped. HP aren't performing to expectations (Wall street etc) so they "need" to do something to get back on track. When HP got the results of the retails sales they must have choked. The uk sold 12,000 in July and 100 in the first week of August. Best buy only sold 10% of their stock of 270,000 !

I can't find the figures right now, but the profit margin wasn't all that much, certainly low enough that they're making a massive lose on the fire sale, but not such a huge lose as they would if they'd had to buy back all the unsold units and the compensation to the manufacturer / parts company for the unmanufactured touchpad.

in my opinion Apothetic should be kicked right out, he's not such an utter, utter ***** as Hurd the Turd but seems to be lost in the world of HP
    finger prints
    glossy mirror ehh display
    bad wlan or webos software limited wlan
    cracking cases
    screen bleed
    lcd artefacts when case is pressed together
    the backplate can be pressed in
    no dlna
    bad a/v codec support
    jerky scrolling/zooming

sorry for me hp should stop producing tablets or start producing 100% quality tablets.

even for 99$ you can expect a tablet which has none of the upper listet problems.
    Nice to meet you!

I'm a next owner of your Touchpad, because I hate see somebody suffering! Can you see? I gonna help you because I'm a very nice guy!

Best buy only sold 10% of their stock of 270,000 !
    Hummm... until now, somebody can explain this number? Why 1/4 of all ToucHPads only for one store, and only 3/4 to rest of the world...

I believe that this story is bad explained...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    gbp likes this.
    I wonder where they find these people ?? Fiorina, Hurd, Apothekar. Are they trying to crash the company on purpose ?

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't the only thing wrong with Hurd the fact that he was wining and dining a co-worker, extra-maritally with the company's time and money?

I suppose his getting let go wasn't the greatest for HP, .......pretty sad he couldn't afford a nice dinner out of his own pocket
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why do you think this is good? I think this is pathetic. Even at $99 HP cannot generate the interest that the iPad does. I am NO APPLE FAN, but they sold 9.25 million iPads in their third quarter, and HP is claiming (well, your buddy is) that they only got 5.6 million requests for a $99 TouchPad?

If that doesn't tell a prospective webOS buyer to stay away, nothing else will.
    First, there is a market for Mercedes, Toyota, BMW, Hyundai and even FIAT too. While Toyota sells more cars than many, there is a profitable market for VW or Subaru based on few loyal customers.

Second, its a long term thing. The company doesn't have guts to go that far.
    Just look at
    Sony Vs Microsoft in gaming PS3/Box
    Microsoft Vs Apple in mobile phones (yes Microsoft is not done yet)
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

I know man. Carly ??? and Leo ?? , no idea about HP's business. Hurd seemed to be typical button down type.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't the only thing wrong with Hurd the fact that he was wining and dining a co-worker, extra-maritally with the company's time and money?

I suppose his getting let go wasn't the greatest for HP, .......pretty sad he couldn't afford a nice dinner out of his own pocket
    the issue was supposedly more that he falsified expense reports and lied about it to the board, so they no longer trusted him.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    finger prints
    cracking cases
    screen bleed
    no dlna
    bad a/v codec support
    jerky scrolling/zooming

sorry for me hp should stop producing tablets or start producing 100% quality tablets.

even for 99$ you can expect a tablet which has none of the upper listet problems.
    Really ? for $ 99.00 you can get a better tablet ? are you sure ? think.
    Then they decided to trust Leo.....I think they jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire
    with a crook like Andreeson on the board, it's the pot calling the kettle black.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfox_uk View Post
    webos / palm / hardware is giving HP a return of 2% on investment. Their software business is returning 15%. That's why they're focusing on software side of the house, and that's why the phones and tablets are being dropped. HP aren't performing to expectations (Wall street etc) so they "need" to do something to get back on track. When HP got the results of the retails sales they must have choked. The uk sold 12,000 in July and 100 in the first week of August. Best buy only sold 10% of their stock of 270,000 !
    Its a low margin business, the software consulting. Unless you are in the same league as Pricewater now IBM or Accenture or Deloitte you are toast. How do I know ? because I am in the same industry. The likes of Dell and HP gets to do cheap labor in the IT world. The sort of work requiring setting up workstations, support... etc. I know they have EDS and Perot behind them, but , nope, they end up making low revenues compared to IBMs of the world. OTOH IBM invested heavily in India about 10 years back to get cheap labor which HP is trying to do now.

Long story short, HP (EDS) is a good 10 years behind IBM. They are going to be out of business or end up being a very small player in IT consulting. Just look at Apple's margins on hardware

in my opinion Apothetic should be kicked right out, he's not such an utter, utter ***** as Hurd the Turd but seems to be lost in the world of HP
    I agree with you. He is a failed leader at SAP. He will fail here.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    finger prints
    cracking cases
    screen bleed
    no dlna
    bad a/v codec support
    jerky scrolling/zooming

Please link to a 10in dual core tablet that has all those things sorted. I want to buy it.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Why do you think this is good? I think this is pathetic. Even at $99 HP cannot generate the interest that the iPad does. I am NO APPLE FAN, but they sold 9.25 million iPads in their third quarter, and HP is claiming (well, your buddy is) that they only got 5.6 million requests for a $99 TouchPad?

If that doesn't tell a prospective webOS buyer to stay away, nothing else will.
    Which iPad...the first one or the iPad 2? Which year did they sell 9.25 million in their 3rd quarter?

Don't be so dramatic with words like 'pathetic'. Hey those are impressive numbers, but Apple has set the standard for a tablet, and all others are trying to come out with theirs. So, if Apple is already established, and has the brand name recognition from the first iPad, you would expect them to have good sales. Do you call all others 'pathetic' because they can't usurp Apple from the tablet throne on their first tablet attempts? No, you say "good try" or "adequate try" and "here's what I think the next iteration should have...".

How many requests for other non-iOS and non webOS tablets have there been? There are reports that say the TouchPad is second in sales of tablets. Second is good for a first tablet (and unfortunately possibly the only tablet) for webOS.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I can't find the figures right now, but the profit margin wasn't all that much, certainly low enough that they're making a massive lose on the fire sale, but not such a huge lose as they would if they'd had to buy back all the unsold units and the compensation to the manufacturer / parts company for the unmanufactured touchpad.

The problem is that they had lofty short term goals in what they presented to investors as a long term investment. The fact that they intended to counter low margins with high volume sales of a device that they admit is a generation behind the leading competition is irresponsible. They fact that they don't feel like they have what it takes to make leading edge hardware is disappointing. But the real issue is that they completely dropped the ball with educating shareholders on HOW these changes will bring value. Within the course of one month, they've demonstrated twice just how cheap talk is... And they expect customers to buy there products and Services and investors to fund them?
    gbp, fredfox_uk and treodoc755 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Which iPad...the first one or the iPad 2? Which year did they sell 9.25 million in their 3rd quarter?

Don't be so dramatic with words like 'pathetic'. Hey those are impressive numbers, but Apple has set the standard for a tablet, and all others are trying to come out with theirs. So, if Apple is already established, and has the brand name recognition from the first iPad, you would expect them to have good sales. Do you call all others 'pathetic' because they can't usurp Apple from the tablet throne on their first tablet attempts? No, you say "good try" or "adequate try" and "here's what I think the next iteration should have...".

How many requests for other non-iOS and non webOS tablets have there been? There are reports that say the TouchPad is second in sales of tablets. Second is good for a first tablet (and unfortunately possibly the only tablet) for webOS.
    Apple reports record sales, profits for third quarter | Phones | Macworld

The iPad 2s arrival
    Apple sold 9.25 million iPads during the third quarter, the first full quarter of sales for the iPad 2, which arrived in March. Apple says its iPad sales topped last years figures by 183 percent. It also set a new record for quarterly iPad sales, besting the previous mark of 7.3 million during the 2010 holiday shopping season.

http://images.macworld.com/images/ar...its-246491.png
    Can we please stop saying TouchPad is winning? This is just firesale from HP, and it won't last long time. And I really doubt HP will make another webOS device.
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post

Can we please stop saying TouchPad is winning? This is just firesale from HP, and it won't last long time. And I really doubt HP will make another webOS device.
    Why are you talking about Touchpad winning or not ? Its history. What we should learn from this is

1.Pricing is important.
    2.It takes long time to catchup with the market leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Apple reports record sales, profits for third quarter | Phones | Macworld

First, I didn't say the TouchPad was winning, I don't think you did either. I was saying the TouchPad, and the interest in it that exists is not pathetic.

Second, thanks for the article, and like I said, impressive numbers. I'm guessing they are more impressive than the sales of the first iPad (there was some indication of that in the article, although I didn't see actual numbers of original iPad sales, there was a big bump once the iPad2 came out). That was part of my point. The existing status of the iPad as the leader in the tablet market by far is in itself a built in bump to the sales of the iPad2. It's bolstered by good to great hardware and software, but there is a bonus of past performance and the general 'Apple Aura'.

Third, if it really bothers you to read a thread that appears to be talking positively of the interest in the TouchPad, why read it...and then post in it to keep it going? Just change the channel. Last night, I changed from Austin Powers: Goldmember to The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton version) and was happier. I like being happier. People around me like it when I'm happier. Sometimes we need to be more somber, even angry about something important. The views of various people on the interest or lack thereof regarding the HP TouchPad...trust me, this isn't that important.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

C-Note, gbp and Rnp like this.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    The existing status of the iPad as the leader in the tablet market by far is in itself a built in bump to the sales of the iPad2.
    I bet that a million people will buy a Touchpad 2 , if they release a thinner, speedier and bug-free version in six months.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast