Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Fire up the rumor mill again. This time, it's HTC that's looking to buy up a mobile OS. James Kendrick of ZDNet speculates that the obvious choice is webOS, but MeeGo could be a possible target, seeing how it is also abandoned (despite what Intel wants to believe). Samsung decidedly squashed rumors that it was looking to buy webOS, and it makes sense since they are developing their own OS in-house. HTC, on the other hand, doesn't have their own OS, and it wouldn't be the first time they shipped a phone with a (formerly-)Palm OS.

HTC considering purchase of a mobile OS; webOS or MeeGo options | ZDNet
    Hmm, interesting but everything we hear from HP says they are not planning to sell WebOS so I don't know how far this story can go.

It's unclear what HP want with WebOS now they have given up on hardware, I guess printers are still in the frame but it would seem crazy to limit WebOS to just that if no-one wants to licence.

Maybe HTC would be willing to license it but that is a whole different storty...
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Reading her actual quotes rather than the journalist spins, her comments are slightly more ambiguousness than they first appear - she says they have talked about it and are in no rush but then goes onto say that that HTC does not need to produce an OS because their value in the development of things like the Sense UI.

So truthfully, I'm not sure if she's saying they are actively looking or simply that it's an option they have considered and are still considering.

Also since Meego is Open Source - how or why would they purchase it?
    Please...... Pretty please.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 09/12/2011 at 05:14 PM.
    They gonna get it at the firesale price too?
    HTC make decent hardware, correct?
    Granted they have lied before, but HP is not looking to sell off webOS. They want to license it.

Then again, I could see HP doing some bonehead move like selling the OS off and then licensing it from the buyer for their printers, toasters, etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HTC made some of the best Palm Treo's like the 600 and 650.

The key thing in the quote is that they are talking about differentiation in their customization layer that they put on top of an OS. That would be like their Sense layer on top of Android.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/12/2011 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Granted they have lied before, but HP is not looking to sell off webOS. They want to license it.

Then again, I could see HP doing some bonehead move like selling the OS off and then licensing it from the buyer for their printers, toasters, etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You mean like PalmOne and PalmSource? Tried and failed, but given the intelligence quotient of Apotheker, I wouldn't be surprised.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Also since Meego is Open Source - how or why would they purchase it?
    That doesn't make for sexy headlines/stories.
    HTC is Considering Purchase of webOS - the links below suggest HTC is interested in buying webOS. All things considered, if these headlines pan out, HTC would be a perfect home for webOS since they are well known for providing great hardware and fast software updates. Keep your fingers crossed PreCentral.
    - - -
    Links:
    HTC considering purchase of a mobile OS; webOS or MeeGo options | ZDNet

WP7Lab News: HTC Could Purchase WebOS

HTC to buy WebOS? - Gadgetlyst - TECHGEEK.com.au - Tech News, Gadgets, Reviews and Tips

HTC Reveals It May Buy Mobile Operating System Of Its Own | TechnoBuffalo

HTC Considering Buying Own OS - Slashdot

http://www.electronista.com/articles...f.webos.deals/

HTC May Buy Its Own Mobile Operating System

Note: There are so many related articles on this topic. Just type, "HTC webOS" or similar search terms for more about this sizzling topic.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Read this over on engadget this morning...
    http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

I for one would love to see WEBOS on an HTC handset.

Th3h0ff

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    It's a good read.

HTC would do WebOS wonders. Maybe even help re-wake the monster that WebOS COULD have been and SHOULD have been,
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
    fmarcanojr likes this.
  15.    #15  
    It would help re-reawake the monster that webOS was when the firesale happened.

Plus, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into anything HP says publicly. They clearly went at it without a plan, so if they are not planning on selling webOS, they are also not planning on not selling webOS (because they have no plan).
    bluenote and DS_Palm_Lvr like this.
    I'm not sure if this means that i should consider waiting on a new WebOS phone but this looks very promising. Article as follows:

"HTC Corp chairwoman Cher Wang announced that the company is interested in buying an operating system. From the article: 'After the global PC heavyweight Hewlett-Packard Co. (HP) announced on Aug. 18 a plan to spin off its PC business and stop sales of its TouchPad tablet that uses the WebOS operating system, a slew of manufacturers like HTC and Samsung reportedly have been trying to acquire the WebOS platform to expand their mobile market reach. 'We have given it thought and we have discussed it internally, but we will not do it on impulse,' Wang said in an interview with the Economic Observer of China.'"

HTC Considering Buying Own OS - Slashdot
    <<threads merged>>
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    HTC made some of the best Palm Treo's like the 600 and 650.

The key thing in the quote is that they are talking about differentiation in their customization layer that they put on top of an OS. That would be like their Sense layer on top of Android.
    Was the Palm Treo Verizon 755P made by HTC? I still use that one today for voice recording, long after both my Pre and PrePlus have been retired.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast