Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    that was Samsung
    If HTC buys WebOS they will probably asd widgets, add more touch friendly features (voice input and virtual keyboard for phones) and rebrand it as HTC Sense. WebOS as we know will not exist and its possible they won't buy the ppl behind it but the OS itself.
    That was my initial concern. Sense on their Android phones is more of a full fledged OS than it is a mere skin, but it does fill in a lot of little feature gaps that vanilla Android continues to have to this day (different sounds for different types of notifications, timed lock screen, etc).

I tried to think of how HTC would brand Sense onto webOS, but the very concept of a SenseOS just melted my face and now I'm in dire need of plastic surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxeh View Post
    That was my initial concern. Sense on their Android phones is more of a full fledged OS than it is a mere skin, but it does fill in a lot of little feature gaps that vanilla Android continues to have to this day (different sounds for different types of notifications, timed lock screen, etc).

I tried to think of how HTC would brand Sense onto webOS, but the very concept of a SenseOS just melted my face and now I'm in dire need of plastic surgery.
    Sense UI is not a full fledge os, no more then TouchWiz being a full fledge os. Any skin adds widgets and a possibility of improved apps -- but those apps are the same as Googles but with there features and skin. And Sense UI is one of the best UI for Android being topped only by Motorola Software Platofrm or what use to be called MotoBlurr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theonlyix View Post
    isn't bada korea centric?
    Indeed it is. It would have been better if I said that I hope it doesn't become a <any country>-centric OS like Bada.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If HTC buys webOS, that will be the day webOS will truely died. I really doubt HTC will make webOS phone. They are going to put it on the top of android, part of sense ui.
    I have to disagree.
    The day that HTC doesn't buy webOS will be the day it truly dies. Beggars can't be choosers.
    Besides, Android with all the things we love about the webOS UX wouldn't be so bad, would it?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Anyone for an HTC Pre-vo? ...myTouch-Pad? :-)
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    ive always wanted htc to buy webos, if this happens ill be back to webos in a heartbeat with the right phone. imagine a 4.3" or larger slab type device like the evo running webos= "of joy!"
    HI all,

FYI. See link....what's interesting here is that MS is making more off of Android royalties than they are from Win roylaties....if I remember that's an if situation...(it's quite awhile so I get this wrong just jump in and correct me)....

MS is claiming that Google used several of it's patents when it created Android.....They one a few court cases and are squeezing hardware makers for licensing fees as it continues to duke it out with Google...If ultimately MS looses I believe they will return fees to the hardware manufacters....(Once again, please correct me..as I could not have all of the Ins and outs of MS and Google b/c has become so litigious)!

I've posted two paragraphs that are of interest.

take care,

Jay

Will HTC Buy webOS?

The Motley Fool: Print Article

The company finds itself increasingly paying royalties from Google (Nasdaq: GOOG ) Android ironically to Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT ) . It's estimated that Microsoft collected three times as much revenue from HTC's Android royalties than its own Windows Phone licenses. That $5-per-device royalty that HTC pays adds up quickly, as research firm IDC pegs its shipments at 11.7 million units last quarter.

While stopping short of naming webOS specifically, it's an obvious candidate in the current climate. Wang continued that one of her company's strengths is its distinctiveness and ability to shape the experience on top of the underlying OS. The company's well-recognized Sense UI could easily be applied to another operating system.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I am really happy to see here about this.It is one of the best things which you have shared with us.I have been working such type of things before.I need to know something more about this.If you have some more information about this do share with us,
    ilovedessert likes this.
    I think that the most likely scenario for HTC is to become a hardware partner (think Nokia+WP7, MotoGoog) and licence webOS from HP and get knowhow regarding hardware etc, that it can combine with it's design and manufacturing. It could get preferential treatment from HP while they continue to licence out the OS to other manufacturers.
    so they pay around $60 mil every quarter to MS.

so in 20 quarters (5 years) that is $1.2 billion....the same price that was paid for palm and webos.

seems like it would be smart to buy your own financially since the ROI is so quick
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by snorri788 View Post
    I think that the most likely scenario for HTC is to become a hardware partner (think Nokia+WP7, MotoGoog) and licence webOS from HP and get knowhow regarding hardware etc, that it can combine with it's design and manufacturing. It could get preferential treatment from HP while they continue to licence out the OS to other manufacturers.
    If HTC becomes hardware partner they will not pay anything for right to put webOS on their hardware because they are partners. They would invest in hardware and HP in software. But I don't believe HTC would invest heavily into hardware just to put on it mismanaged software platform. To many unnecessary risks involved. As ODM, HTC was paid to produce phones for Palm (btw Treo 600 was not made by HTC) and I believe they would produce webOS phones only if they are paid to do this, and we know HP doesn't want to pay a dime for webOS hardware.
    Also, I cant see HTC as new webOS owner, because webOS demands to much hard work and great investments to be optimized and modernized. It's not just putting few layers of Sense on lockscreen. WebOS needs new webkit, hardware acceleration and who knows what else to be able to perform at least decent.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Will HTC Buy webOS?
    No.

What we have is a badly translated original article that itself is vague followed by various internet bottom-feeder sites adding in the idea they are interested in WebOS. HTC don't seem to have said anything beyond "we've discussed internally if it's worth buying an OS" - that's it. They don't say they are going to, they don't mention WebOS or anyone else.
    <<threads merged>>
    There is only one detail: the HP want to sell webOS?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    HI all,

FYI...updated info.

Take care,

Jay

Will HTC Be the One to Buy webOS in a Move Against Apple?

By Alex Heath (2:27 pm, Sep. 12, 2011)

Will HTC Be the One to Buy webOS in a Move Against Apple? | Cult of Mac

Now that Samsung has denied that they are eying webOS as a potential platform for its mobile devices, HTC could end up being the one to purchase Palm’s former OS to compete against Apple’s iOS.

Not only would HTC buying webOS make sense financially, but it would also position HTC in a unique position to combat the growth of iOS in the mobile market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That article is junk - he's simply misquoted another site misquoting the original article. It's just bottom-feeders chasing each other.
    After seeing some of the Windows 8 features culled right out of webOS, I'm waiting for that Dummkopf Leo to announce, to the immediate surprise of the rest of the company who he didn't bother to clue in, that HP will be keeping webOS to engage in a costly, lengthy and encumbering patent lawsuit against giant Microsoft, thus destroying the the rest of HP shareholder value.
    DS_Palm_Lvr likes this.
    There seem to be many strong opinions of Sense. I'm not really familiar with it. What's good or bad about it? I get that there's probably "bloatware" involved...but what else sets it apart? Is there a video demo of it somewhere?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast