Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OrionAntares#CB
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1.    #1  
    Bradley was speaking at The Wall Street Journalís headquarters in New York. And the WSJ is quoting him on saying:

Bradley said that a standalone PC company would be free to make tablets that run operating software from Microsoft or Google.

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/09/08/h-p%E2%80%99s-pc-chief-hopes-for-speedy-spinout/

I am in disbelief that he really said that.
  2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Man, if Todd Bradley won't even back webOS any more i dunno what's going to happen.
    Sounds more and more like HP will let webOS for consumers die. Either it'll go into "point of sale" (or as I call them, POS) devices, or they'll just let it die internally all together.
    Relax guys. Samsung has their own Os and produces hardware for different platforms. I still have faith in WebOS unless spoken otherwise...
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Relax guys. Samsung has their own Os and produces hardware for different platforms. I still have faith in WebOS unless spoken otherwise...
    Everything that has happened to date puts your faith in poor standing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Man, if Todd Bradley won't even back webOS any more i dunno what's going to happen.
    Well what can he do, Leo is trying accelerate HP off a cliff and it looks like he's taking the webOS software with it...
    Titan078 likes this.
    Wait, I just read the interview. He said, they would be free to make tablets based on operating systems based on google or android, as opposed to just webOS. No wonder the OP's link is broken, he's trolling!!!

[edit] There is no actual quote as to what, exactly, Bradley said.
    Last edited by blue duck butter; 09/09/2011 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    Wait, I just read the interview. He said, they would be free to make tablets based on operating systems based on google or android, as opposed to just webOS. No wonder the OP's link is broken, he's trolling!!!

[edit] There is no actual quote as to what, exactly, Bradley said.

can you give the link, I want to read too

so there is a sign tablet webOS again?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    can you give the link, I want to read too

so there is a sign tablet webOS again?
    This is what I read (but, again, there is no quote from Bradley on any site, wsj or otherwise, that states JUST microsoft or google):
    HP's head of PCs wants quick spin-off, says report | Business Tech - CNET News
  10.    #10  
    I am not trolling. I am a die-hard webOS fan.

I can't post links yet (<10 posts) thats why you need to copy-n-paste the link from the first post.

Cnet etc. are all quoting an interview at WSJ (can't find the original interview. The origin of the Cnet news etc. seam to be that WSJ blog post). It is a different interview from a few days ago at Reuters. That Reuters interview was the origin of the "Touchpad may get a second chance" news. This one (at WSJ) is a new one and probably had been done within the last couple of days. I think the WSJ may have assumed that part saying "run operating software from Microsoft or Google". In the Reuters interview he didn't took a clear stand for webOS. He just said tablets are important. But on the other hand maybe he is really looking at Android and MS tablets. Which would be in line with all the stupid management decisions at HP we have seen.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Unless the PSG gets an amazing "parting gift" from HP - it will not have either the financial or human resources that are needed to drive foward a platform like webOS. Like most high volume, low margin players they will grasp for whatever life-rafts are passing. At the moment, that is windows 8 and android.

Really he is signaling to his backers that he will be a steady hand and will be following where the market is going rather than trying something as risky as going alone wirh WebOS. Moreover, more than likely he knows something we don't - maybe he can't get it or does not want it. Time will tell.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    cr_8_tiv likes this.
  12.    #12  
    @CGK The spun-off PSG isn't supposed to develop webOS. It is going to stay at HP. That's what the memo said. PSG is only taking the hardware guys.

If the new PSG is building tablets and phones again, licensing webOS from HP, HP is doing exactly what Leo said they would. Licencing webOS to another company ...
    Well as that Cnet article put it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnet
    Bradley also told the Journal that an independent PC company would be able to make tablets based on operating systems from Microsoft or Google, as opposed to just WebOS.
    That's not terribly suggestive of dumping webOS at all. HP already had Microsoft tablets, there's no reason they cannot diversify.

By the sound of things, though, Bradley just wants to get away from HP before the Man at the Helm rams it into another iceberg.
    I personally think its makes sense for HP to find other sources of revenue instead of trying to put all their eggs into the WebOS basket. I don't see it as them ditching WebOS, but instead trying to gain more capital so they can continue to develop and support WebOS.

Afterall, they did spend 1.2 Billion to buy Palm, why would they just throw such a big asset under the bus so quickly? Of course, they could have bought Palm for the patent portfolio, but there's got to be much more to it because they haven't fired any of the main people from Palm.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berlindresden View Post
    @CGK The spun-off PSG isn't supposed to develop webOS. It is going to stay at HP. That's what the memo said. PSG is only taking the hardware guys.

If the new PSG is building tablets and phones again, licensing webOS from HP, HP is doing exactly what Leo said they would. Licencing webOS to another company ...
    I know that - and you think that an enterprise service sector non-consumer focused post spin-off HP is going to spend money developing webOS for a consumer focused company?

Leaving that aside, the PST unless something amazing happening simply does not have the financial firepower to develop any interesting hardware or market it - it's margins are waffer thin and it will have it's hands full surviving in the pc market place. Moreover, what in the cultural DNA of the PSG or any of its key people suggests that it is capable of turning WebOS into a player? At best the spinoff is 12-18 months away, so with churn and wastage a lot of the firesale owners will have moved on, so whatever marketplace will be gone. HP in its current state saw a bottomless pit, why is the PSG going to be any different?
    Honestly, for now, everything is up in the air as relates to both webOS and the PSG. With all the bad press and loss of value, I will be surprised if the next HP annual shareholder meeting isn't one for the ages. Apotheker may want webOS to keep Bradley from showing him up in the market and he may want the printing division because it's the HP cash cow, but that doesn't mean the shareholders are going to let him keep them if it doesn't add value to their shares in either what remains of HP, or the new entity (we'll have to see how the spin off is structured, but existing shareholders would have to be given first crack at owning the new company or sign off on the deal. regardless, my meaning is it's their money that's being played with and they will ultimately be the ones who must be appeased.).

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by berlindresden View Post
    Bradley was speaking at The Wall Street Journalís headquarters in New York. And the WSJ is quoting him on saying:

Bradley said that a standalone PC company would be free to make tablets that run operating software from Microsoft or Google.

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/09/08/h-p%E2%80%99s-pc-chief-hopes-for-speedy-spinout/

I am in disbelief that he really said that.
    Remember, WebOS will be on PC still meaning they can put WebOS on Windows PCs.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Remember, WebOS will be on PC still meaning they can put WebOS on Windows PCs.
    That makes some limited sense on older versions of windows but it makes no sense on Windows 8 onwards - how confusing would it be for the user to be using a touch interface which works with one set of gestures and another over the top with another? Moreover, I would think you would get significant conflict between the two sets of gestures.