Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Flak1969
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 2 Post By Midway99
  • 1 Post By TreoRock
  • 1 Post By deCorvett
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  • 2 Post By SmartFah
  1.    #1  
    Why does Léo Apotheker still have a job?
    The Board of Directors have to see this guy is not good for HP's future.
    I say rehire Mark Hurd and get this company back in the right track.
    StuntmanMark likes this.
  2. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #2  
    hurd got hired by oracle

    and leo has people sympathetic to his ideals.
  3. #3  
    The board of directors hired him, so they have to support him. I think they need to replace the entire board and then fire Leo.
    db3.uk likes this.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The board of directors hired him, so they have to support him. I think they need to replace the entire board and then fire Leo.
    I have to think that the board is a little uneasy though seeing the stock drop from 35ish to 25ish and not seeming to recover at all in the past month and a half.
  5. #5  
    It also dropped a lot when they fired Mark Hurd. They are used to it.

    Take a look at this chart. You can see the moment Hurd was fired, and the moment TouchPad-gate was leaked and the current fiasco started. Almost 50% of shareholder value has been lost since Hurd left.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/07/2011 at 09:10 PM.
  6. #6  
    The board of directors hired Leo, then replaced 4 board members with people Leo recommended - thus the dude isn't going anywhere. HP will go away before Leo does and I'm afraid that will happen within the next 5 years.

    Also, Leo has been replace a lot of senior staff with his buddies from SAP - the same place he lasted a whole 7 months as CEO.

    However, I agree that Leo should be walked out. His comments, lack of direction and the lack of faith by employees and buyers will continue to weaken HP's stock. I mean the guy lost shareholder's over $12 billion in one day. That is really hard to do, but Cpt Leo did it. Guy is a clueless, worthless twit.

    And to think - he got more in a relocation bonus ($4.6 million) than most of us will see in our lifetime. I know the dude isn't THAT smart. But he is laughing all the way to the bank - regardless of how fast he kills HP.
    DizWhiz and Rnp like this.
  7. #7  
    I'm afraid it is going to take a major proxy fight to oust Leo and the cronies of his currently serving on the board of directors. That said, my bigger concern is that Leo, terrified that a Bradley-led spun-off PSG will show up the Apotheker-led wannabe-SAP, will do his best to hobble the spun-off PSG. Hopefully, the shareholders will take this seriously and hold everybody's feet to the fire to do this right. I honestly have no faith in Apotheker to do it right.

    Gargoyle
  8. DizWhiz's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #8  
    Buying PALM wasn't Leo's idea and he is an enterprise guy so it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise when he axed the hardware division.

    Cheap PC's are a commodity with shrinking profit margins so he, and the board, are betting on shifting to enterprise full-speed ahead.


    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    The board of directors hired Leo, then replaced 4 board members with people Leo recommended - thus the dude isn't going anywhere. HP will go away before Leo does and I'm afraid that will happen within the next 5 years.

    Also, Leo has been replace a lot of senior staff with his buddies from SAP - the same place he lasted a whole 7 months as CEO.

    However, I agree that Leo should be walked out. His comments, lack of direction and the lack of faith by employees and buyers will continue to weaken HP's stock. I mean the guy lost shareholder's over $12 billion in one day. That is really hard to do, but Cpt Leo did it. Guy is a clueless, worthless twit.

    And to think - he got more in a relocation bonus ($4.6 million) than most of us will see in our lifetime. I know the dude isn't THAT smart. But he is laughing all the way to the bank - regardless of how fast he kills HP.
  9. #9  
    HP is a total mess now. Leo says that HP will not be making any more PCs and will focus on software. However, yesterday HP released new HP PCs. W.T.F.? Are they in the PC industry or not? Make up your mind HP! If you are a software company only then stop asking people to buy HP computers. I agree with you guys. HP needs to fire Leo and hire somebody that really understands who HP really is and what they really want to accomplish.
    C-Note likes this.
  10. #10  
    PSG doesn't cost a cent. It's a profitable division, so there is no reason to start the switch by announcing you're out of the bussiness. The right path is a silent transformation, and when you're ready, announce the changes.

    They've made the opposite.
    Newness Developments apps:

    Midway99 likes this.
  11. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #11  
    apple has huge margins......pc's only have bad margins in a windows world. Webos would have been vertical integration for HP and they blew it bigtime.

    fire Leo fast.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    Buying PALM wasn't Leo's idea and he is an enterprise guy so it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise when he axed the hardware division.

    Cheap PC's are a commodity with shrinking profit margins so he, and the board, are betting on shifting to enterprise full-speed ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    PSG doesn't cost a cent. It's a profitable division, so there is no reason to start the switch by announcing you're out of the business. The right path is a silent transformation, and when you're ready, announce the changes.

    They've made the opposite.
    They are assuming that they will be able to walk into the software services market unmolested. The competition there is as vicious as anywhere else in the tech world.

    If you can't leverage with the advantages they had in the PC market, (including a foot in the door of the Fortune 1000), if they can't crack the tablet market, how will they fare? If they telegraph their moves as they did with PSG, how successful will they be?

    As DeCorvett mentioned, they are not LOSING money. So why the rush to get out and then de-value your position in the manner they did?

    A leader of a company is judged by how a balance of his 'vision' and his ability to make his company money. If HP is successful, the market at large will forgive them. But right now, Leo's judgement seem to be driven too much by ideology and less by practical wisdom. He may get fired, but probably to late to help HP (or webOS fans) to recover.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Midway99 likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Strategy-wise, Leo's done the right thing and the board knows it will pay off in the long run.
    Stockholders may be people like yourselves: short-term thinkers looking for instant gratification. Where's my CDMA Pre 3 whine whine. And I want the 64 GB TouchPad Fake 4G for 99 bucks.
    Perhaps, but he's done it the wrong way. The stock market bears that out. The jumble of confusing messages coming from HP headquarters also shows this to be the case.

    If I'm going to buy a new car, I don't trash the old one, I maintain it so I can get some value from it in a sale... or at least so that I can still benefit from it until I make the move.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    Buying PALM wasn't Leo's idea and he is an enterprise guy so it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise when he axed the hardware division.

    Cheap PC's are a commodity with shrinking profit margins so he, and the board, are betting on shifting to enterprise full-speed ahead.
    regardless, he took the job knowing HP was all I with WebOS. So, he had this idea to kill these devices from day 1 and lied to his employee base and the public about how committed he and HP were to it; else he made a rash decision and went public with it. Either way, it shows weak leadership, a lack of vision and the communication skills of a 5 year old.

    also, this cheap PC commodity business you reference still brings in over $2 billion in profit a year. That's 3 times Autonomy's 2010 revenue - BUT ***** Leo is spending over $10 billion on it, while looking to sell PSG for about $8.8 billion. I'm sure it will be spun off and not sold, but hopefully you see my point.

    last, this was obviously the plan by the board and they picked this doof as the face of the message.

    bottom line, Leo and the board should be **** canned asap. Regardless, WebOS will soon be dead as the VP of PSG stated the spin off pc company would be free to make tablets that run operating software from Microsoft or Google.
  15. #15  
    if you change the names to Leo, Mark Hurd, and HP...this letter is perfect for HP:

    Dan Loeb - Third Point's Letter to Yahoo's Board
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    They are assuming that they will be able to walk into the software services market unmolested. The competition there is as vicious as anywhere else in the tech world.

    If you can't leverage with the advantages they had in the PC market, (including a foot in the door of the Fortune 1000), if they can't crack the tablet market, how will they fare? If they telegraph their moves as they did with PSG, how successful will they be?

    As DeCorvett mentioned, they are not LOSING money. So why the rush to get out and then de-value your position in the manner they did?

    A leader of a company is judged by how a balance of his 'vision' and his ability to make his company money. If HP is successful, the market at large will forgive them. But right now, Leo's judgement seem to be driven too much by ideology and less by practical wisdom. He may get fired, but probably to late to help HP (or webOS fans) to recover.
    very well said by you & DeCorvett!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    HP is a total mess now. Leo says that HP will not be making any more PCs and will focus on software. However, yesterday HP released new HP PCs. W.T.F.? Are they in the PC industry or not? Make up your mind HP! If you are a software company only then stop asking people to buy HP computers. I agree with you guys. HP needs to fire Leo and hire somebody that really understands who HP really is and what they really want to accomplish.
    Leo lost all credibility with me when he said that HP's new devices would be available within weeks (not months) of the Think Beyond event in February. Then he tells his employees to throw their iPads & iPhones out of the window (to buy what, no new devices were even available).

    Then he tells us the TouchPad wouldn't launch until it was perfect (we know that wasn't the case, because webOS 3.0.2 was needed to fix a lot of the issues). Leo's words never match his actions, he talks too much crap. By the time he's fired or whatever, it will be to late. Leo will be responsible for sinking the titanic that was HP.
    ilovedessert and Rnp like this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    PSG doesn't cost a cent. It's a profitable division, so there is no reason to start the switch by announcing you're out of the bussiness. The right path is a silent transformation, and when you're ready, announce the changes.

    They've made the opposite.
    Indeed, and if you want to increase profits shift towards high-end desirable products like Apple (ENVY) and build the software eco system (webOS). If need be low margin cheap PCs could be spun off as another cheaper brand (Compaq).
  19. cj-m's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    #19  
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    Buying PALM wasn't Leo's idea and he is an enterprise guy so it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise when he axed the hardware division.

    Cheap PC's are a commodity with shrinking profit margins so he, and the board, are betting on shifting to enterprise full-speed ahead.
    If I hear this one more time, Im gonna scream ..

    PC's are here to stay. They said laptops would do them in, and they didnt. THen netbooks, and they didn't.

    Now, a 10" touchscreen tablet?

    Right.. you can get all the work done that you need to on that.. NOT!

    PC's will be around in full force 10 years from now, more powerful, more comprehensive and more integrated with all parts of our and enterprise's existance.

    So, getting rid of the PSG is so mindblowingly stupid and narrowminded, that the street punished the decision by devaluing the largest tech company in the world by 25% in one day..

    Dell just loved that announcement.. and lots of the smaller PC makers as well. Small margin, perhaps, but still a real living, and a much needed one.

    LA and the BOD led this company astray.. if I were a shareholder, I'd be very angry as well - they are trying to turn the company into something that isnt in its DNA, without any real forethought or consideration of the consequences.

    The REAL growth is in the mobile market.. specifically, smartphones.

    Right now, the only smartphone that sells out is the iPhone model.. if HP were to continue their investment into making a top notch smartphone line using WebOS, they could build their future in that direction, integrating the PC"s as they had begun to, and become very successful.

    If.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions