1.    #1  
    hi all,

FYI. see link.

Take care,

Jay

Wednesday September 7, 2011, Aayush Arya

HP shopped around PC business to LG and Samsung in 2010

HP shopped around PC business to LG and Samsung in 2010 - TNW Insider

HP went to LG and Samsung in 2010, offering to sell them its PC division, but both companies turned down the offer, according to CNetís sources. This was about a year before the company officially announced its plans to spin off its PC division and focus on enterprise solutions.

Soon after HPís announcement, rumours began to circulate that Samsung was looking to purchase the companyís businesses, but the Korean consumer electronics company quashed them by announcing that it was neither interested in HPís mobile devision nor its PC business.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    That wouldn't be a surprise, with the slim margins of the PSG despite it being the largest revenue generator across HP, would they actually survive as a spin off? Even with 30% of total revenues in the second quarter of 2011 from the PSG, the actual operating margins were 6%.

So now are they gonna actually spin off the PSG or or would they create a bidding war for the sale of the PSG?

Between Lenovo (#3), Samsung(#6) and even Dell(#2), the acquisition would put them atop the heap.

Whether any company looking to purchase the PSG would resurrect the recently axed smartphone or Tablet divisions is something I'm not sure about, or would just move ahead and be part of HP's future webOS development. Maybe others with a better perspective can comment on that...

Information taken from dramexchange

http://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyRe...st/2/2795.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HanoverB; 09/20/2011 at 04:47 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HanoverB View Post
    That wouldn't be a surprise, with the slim margins of the PSG despite it being the largest revenue generator across HP, would they actually survive as a spin off? Even with 30% of total revenues in the second quarter of 2011 from the PSG, the actual operating margins were 6%.

So now are they gonna actually spin off the PSG or would it make more sense that they would create a bidding war for the sale of the PSG?

Between Lenovo (#3), Samsung(#6) and even Dell(#2), the acquisition would put them atop the heap.

Whether any company looking to purchase the PSG would resurrect the recently axed webOS smartphone or Tablet divisions is something I'm not sure about, or just move ahead with webOS development. Maybe others with a better perspective can comment on that...

Information taken from dramexchange

http://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyRe...st/2/2795.html
    Hi all,

The problem is that I don't think anyone wants to buy PSG! Lenovo and Samsung have already passed.

It's a huge business to absorb in a very bad biz climate....plus with the mess Leo has already created..he doesn't exactly have many fans on Wall street, at this point he he wants a sale in place of a spin off he may have to give it away cheap.... something Wall street won't tolerate from him....spinning it off is also problematic as you pointed out....HP may have to hold onto PSG for quite some time before the biz climate improves....

At this point I doubt anyone who would want to buy PSG would want to bring the TouchPad back...every day that HP doesn't unload webOS or find some firm to license it to is another day closer tot he end of the line for webOS....mind you I'm the optimist in the group!

I think the only thing that's saving webOS from the ax now is that Wall st has already shown they have little use for Leo and his ideas, (since Leo announced the sale of PSG then changed it to a spin off HP is worth a great deal less than it was even after the Touchpad reviews came out at less than flattering....).

Writing of $1.2 billion on webOS plus design fees for the TouchPad, Veer, Pre2 & Pre3, financial deals that have to be paid to vendors who were to make or did make these products must add up..that's adds up to several hundred million more.....if Leo outright kills off over $1.5 investment after a little more than a year...Wall st would flatten HP stock so that Leo would be forced out....my guess is that he knows it....

But the flip side is that they have spend almost $1.5 billion on webOS and have an OS that uses now used by NO new products, he has NO plans to use it in other HP products and NO one wants to license it...

If I were Leo I'd use an HP computer (while they still make them) to print up a new CV while HP is still in business printer business and start looking for another job...(Wall st isn't very impressed with his purchase of Autonomy which Wall st feels he over paid by about 50% and apparently the majority of autonomy's employees see the handwriting on the wall and don't want to work for anything that would be owned by HP.

After all, HP killed off alienware, killed of webOS hardware, has no clear business plans for webOS, bought a cloud music firm that now it will have no need for and on and on and on...

If Leo is still working at HP next Oct. we all should buy and ship him those Halloween styrofoam headstones that say R.I.P.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group