Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    Received this in an emailed HP SMB newsletter:

09-2011 : HP's bold new direction. The facts.

HP's bold new direction. The facts.

Perhaps you have heard or read about HP’s plans to discontinue its webOS devices operations. Perhaps you saw the recent price reductions of the HP TouchPad tablet PC. This article seeks to clarify the recent announcements and to set the record straight.

What's the future of HP's Personal Systems Group (PSG)?

PSG is a leading manufacturer of personal computers in the world and had annual revenues of approximately $41 billion in fiscal year 2010. Its products are used by millions of consumers and business users worldwide.

HP sees an opportunity to further improve the flexibility, innovation and responsiveness of the products and services you rely on from PSG, which is why our board authorized an investigation into strategic alternatives for this business. Our preferred course is to spin off our PC business into a separate company, creating a more agile organization to help us better anticipate change and quickly respond to customers.

In the meantime, it will be business as usual for PSG. We will continue to develop our roadmap for future products. We will be even more aggressive in bringing technology to market and we’ll continue to build strong relationships with our supply chain partners. You'll still be able to buy HP PC products and services through our supply chain partners and online, and you'll continue to receive great customer service.

HP is confident that the PSG you'll see in 12-18 months time will be even more motivated to innovate, compete and provide you with the flexibility and responsiveness you rely on from the Personal Systems Group.

What will happen to the product warranties?

HP is committed to our customers and to honoring all warranty obligations. The warranties provided with our PC products and services will be honored regardless of PSG's future ownership status.

Why is HP taking this step?

HP is implementing a plan to fundamentally transform the company to better focus on its strategic priorities: cloud solutions and software for the enterprise, commercial and government markets. The result will enable HP to continue to innovate and compete in a world that is undergoing an information explosion. We'll continue to innovate with technologies and services that address customer needs through a portfolio that spans printing, software and services, servers, storage and networking.

Why did HP discontinue operations for the TouchPad and webOS phones? Is webOS going away?

No, webOS is not going away; quite the opposite. Since its launch, webOS has been praised for its differentiated user experience. We know that many developers feel the operating system is elegantly designed and is a respected platform. However, the webOS devices have not gained enough traction in the marketplace with consumers and we see too long a ramp-up in market share. By discontinuing operations for the devices, we will be able to focus more resources on developing and enhancing the webOS platform.

We will continue to invest in building out the webOS ecosystem and set of applications. We will also continue to support and deliver over-the-air updates.

What is the future for webOS?

The webOS ecosystem is stronger than ever. We received an overwhelming response from consumers to the recent price reductions for the HP TouchPad. Many of our retail partners and online stores sold out of the devices within hours. More than 90 percent of purchasers are new to webOS and we are excited about the increasingly growing webOS community.

Application downloads are hitting record highs, which further reinforces that customers are enjoying access to content they want and need. Every day new apps are added to the HP webOS App Catalog and we will continue to add new apps in the future.

Although HP is winding down the device operations of our webOS division by October 31, 2011, we will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software.

HP announced plans to acquire Autonomy. Who is Autonomy and why is this important?

Enterprise customers are experiencing an explosive growth of structured and unstructured data. (Examples of structured data are databases or transactional data. Examples of unstructured data are video, text and social media.) Autonomy is a global leader of infrastructure software for the enterprise. Its intelligent data operating layer pulls structured and unstructured data from a broad range of sources. The software allows computers to harness the richness of information, forming a conceptual and contextual understanding of any piece of electronic data.

In a nutshell, we expect the new PSG—whatever form that will be—will continue to innovate with high-quality products and services to meet business and consumer needs. HP will continue to focus on innovative cloud solutions and services to help tame the explosive growth of data that our customers are experiencing.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I'll pass. HP in whatever configuration will never get another dime from me!
    Interesting read and wish they would get this out to their customers...my clients who have purchased computers and printers for HP for years are DROPPING HP off their radar like flies in a Auto-Zapper Treadmill.

HP better step things up soon, get out the word ASAP, before all is lost by Christmas just a few months away. Sorli...
    Question is... can you believe anything they say? Can even the senior managers trust their Board of Directors to be honest with them?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    ###
    so schizophrenic for webOS, doesn't bode well.
    In one paragraph, says devices haven't gained enough traction and will take too long, in next paragraph it says 90% are new users and app sales are hitting new highs.
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    If webOS stays with HP, it's as good as dead.

"HP is implementing a plan to fundamentally transform the company to better focus on its strategic priorities: cloud solutions and software for the enterprise, commercial and government markets."

Where does consumer software (i.e., webOS) fit into such a company's priorities? It doesn't. It will die a slow (or perhaps quick) death.
    So HP will shutdown webOS device servers by end of October or what does that mean?
    "we will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software. "

In other words, WebOS software is available to be licensed or sold?
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is really an attempt to e

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    If webOS stays with HP, it's as good as dead.

"HP is implementing a plan to fundamentally transform the company to better focus on its strategic priorities: cloud solutions and software for the enterprise, commercial and government markets."

Where does consumer software (i.e., webOS) fit into such a company's priorities? It doesn't. It will die a slow (or perhaps quick) death.
    Maybe WebOS will be used for business? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    "we will continue to explore options to optimize the value of webOS software. "

In other words, WebOS software is available to be licensed or sold?
    They aren't going to sell it. It wouldn't have been moved if they were going to sell it.
    it really comes down to trust, and HP cannot be trusted at this point. Any IT manager with half a brain will stay away from HP for the foreseeable future, for hardware, software and services. This is going to kill HP's enterprise install base and I predict HP will miss on it's next two quarterly earnings.

The above is not the facts, it's more FUD - they don't mention that acquiring Autonomy has basically broke the company and there is not a chance in hell HP will see an ROI from that acquisition at that price. They paid almost 11 times it's value or roughly 1/6 of HP's own value. They paid 64 percent higher than Autonomy's August 17th closing price for a company that is basically bringing in 1% of HP's total revenue; while it cost HP 15% of it's market cap. So again, no ROI from this purchase - EVER!

As a stockholder, HP is really ****ing me off of late.
    Last edited by Midway99; 09/07/2011 at 10:58 PM.
    WebOS as good as dead. It is what I read there. WebOS will not have hardware that carries it, and won't have consumer market. WebOS for business? what good it will be? we won't see it anymore even it really survive.

Half to one year from now.. WebOS will be forgotten. Even I love WebOS, I think I will start to love other platform, and it hurts much for me.. I'm going to iOS. I have iPod Touch4 and iPad1, I think compared to Android, iOS still much better. Sigh.....
    my take

PSG will spin-off into a new company that might produce webos h/w or they are looking for a licensing partner. the latter is still actively I bet being looked at and so they are purposefully being vague until licensing agreements are made and can be announced. Probable date of such announcement = 10/31 when the h/w division closes.

PSG spinoff name guesses: Compaq (again)

but they are being clear that they want to retain webOS software side and move more towards licensing it for other h/w manufacturers including their own spinoff PSG

here's hoping
    I really think if someone was going to license it, it would have happened before now... but I'll give them until Oct 31.

I really do not believe PSG will produce any further webOS devices. ...more tablets? SURE, but they'll be running Windows or Android. This quote says it all:

"However, the webOS devices have not gained enough traction in the marketplace with consumers and we see too long a ramp-up in market share."

If they didn't have the patience now, a spin-off division trying to prove itself will not take a chance.
    Meanwhile, this is what happened at the . Note the timely fashion in which HP execs are notified of strategic changes right at the end of the video.
    The Bard and blinktreo like this.
    The email claiming "the webOS ecosystem is stronger than ever" is kind of funny in light of some of the stories that are being told on the webOS developers forum.

As game developers we make from $2k/mo to $50k/mo on PlayStation Network.
    As a long-term Palm fan myself (been using CLIE 9 years ago), I wanted my company to be part of WebOS.
    We registered with HP, faxed them legal docs that you need to get from US officials if you are not based in US (we are from London, UK). This is a requirement for businesses.
    Started porting our engine using the PDK + emulator.
    We proposed an EXCLUSIVE game concept for TouchPad and were in talks with HP Account Manager of getting discounted TouchPads for development.
    Then the news broke through. No more communication at all from HP Account Manager.
    We are now registered Apple developers.
    Basically, we came here not because of the money, but were forced out.
    Now we are part of an Apple movement, again, not because of the money, but because of the attitude we receive.
    today in my business email i received two emails of people that came to our webOS meetup in saltillo the saturday and they told me that they were unable to suscribe to the webOS connect in Mexico, then i check my personal email, and i received an email that says that the webos connects in Milan, Madrid, Beijing and Mexico are "postponed", because of the recent events, but in the HP webOS Developer Blog says:

"As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change."

the nature will change, not cancel or postpone, now i have a great problem!

i invested in renting a Bus for taking me, my team and other people that wanted to go in it, and then ask for recuperation fee, just the get the money back. with the transportation included i wanted to make it easy for people that wanted to go, in our first meetup we had 13 people plus 3 of us, and all were interested in registering in the event as well as going in the bus with us.

today i called the other guys and all told me the same, but many of them thought it was a problem with the website and decided no report the problem and try again later.

i called the Bus company and in the contract they don't have a full refund, they will only return 50% or if i change the date and is not within 1 day more or less of the date i scheduled, i'll have to pay 15% more and be subject to availability of buses.

my wife is really upset, and now i know that i don't have to trust what big companies like HP says, no matter if they were a synonym of Reliability and Support, i don't have to encourage people to go to their events, or to invite more people to go, thanks Leo Apotheker for your effort to convent HP into another SAP.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Translation: WebOS will be amazing on our new printers!
  18.    #18  
    I think it's too early to try and read too much into what the article means. In fact, it doesn't really tell us anything new at all. HP (still) isn't really sure what they're going to do with PSG or webOS, but they are exploring options. That's all it says in a nutshell.

I think it was mostly targeted at worry-warts who were thinking of abandoning HP's computers or webOS entirely. There really is no reason for that. PSG is still here for the moment, and warranties will be honored regardless of what happens to them in the future. No reason to avoid buying an HP computer. Just sold a Probook to a client last week myself, and it's gorgeous. And HP may have ceased manufacturing webOS hardware, but they aren't simply abandoning webOS entirely.
    Touchscreens are a fad.