1.    #1  
    can anyone give me their thoughts as to which to buy the 300 or 270. Why is one better then theother?
    Man, your trying to start WWIII here! Your gonna get about a million responses as to all the reasons to go with one or the other. I suggest reading the forums a while, you'll find whats best for you.

I own a 270 and do like it. But now with the Jabra Freespeak headset, I want built in bluetooth. Only the Treo 90 has this possibility, or wait for future models, they always come. T-Mobile is good so far, no real complaints. GPRS is nice, but the 300 and Sprints Vison plan is very appealing. Good Luck, post your decision here once you bite the bullet

Chris
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I don't think anything close to WWIII will happen. Atleast I hope not. I mean they're both Treos, both PalmOS, same screen, almost same everything.

Here's a short summary of the differences:

Treo 270 is a world phone, works with T-mobile, Cingular, AT&T.
    Treo 300 only works in the US with Sprint.

Data service for Treo 300 (Sprint Vision) is faster and unlimited for $10 a month while the Treo 270 data service (GPRS) is expensive, and slower.

Also the Treo 300 is cheaper then the 270.
    i was all set to get the 270, when i discovered that Sprint offers unlimited data for $10/month. this pricing beats the heck out of *every* other wireless provider.

i think if you'll be primarily using the phone in populated areas of the US, strongly consider Sprint because of the unlimited data. the Treo *begs* to be used as a wireless web device. my roommate has a 180 with T-Mobile and is bummed because he can only use the web at night and on weekends. (plus, he has to use his dialup ISP to access the internet, whereas the 300's ISP is Sprint - it's an "always on" connection)

but, if you're a world traveller - go 270... just be realistic about your needs. good luck!
    p.s.: to more directly answer your question, the 270 and 300 are functionally identical. your decision has more to do with the wireless carrier and their data plans...
    True, they are both identical but the Treo 270 has real 2 way sms, plus it can almost be used anywhere in the world. And it has a SIM card, allowing you to have one account and multiple phones, internet PCMIA cards, etc... The biggest Plus of the 300 is it's unlimited data plan, and it also has polyphonic ringers which the Treo doesn't have. I also read that people are having trouble downloading attachments with their e-mail accounts due to Sprints compression technology.
    NO you're wrong. 300 rules 270 drools.
    I debated the same question for several months. My decision making (I bought the 300) came down to the following:
    I may spend 4 weeks a year in Europe for business. That means 48 weeks in the US (e.g. 92+% of the time). I know that I can get a GSM phone for when I travel to Europe that keeps my same number (did it last month). So, the GSM/World Phone argument, while seductive from a "keeping up with the Joneses" perspective, doesn't end up meaning that much to me. Secondary, but still important reasons for me were:
    1. I've been a Sprint customer for 5 years, and I wanted to keep my phone number. Buying the 300 let me do that. Local number portability is not the law until next November.
    2. CDMA and Vision, despite the current, not yet ready for prime time faults, is 3G. GSM/GPRS is 2.5 G at best. Bottom line is faster web access, better web integration.
    3. Significatly cheaper voice and data plans from Sprint. I have 750 anytime, 3500 night/weekend and unlimited data for $70/month.
    4. Since I've used Sprint, I know what the limitations of their phone service are. Better the devil you know.

On the flip side, reasons to go with the 270 are:
    1. GSM will take over faster in the US than CDMA will spread (e.g. better coverage sooner for phone calls).
    2. More vendors will support GSM phones, including the 270 (anyone say AT&T?). With the 300, you are locked into a single vendor.

I think the 270 is a great device, as is the 300. My decision making criteria led me to the 300.
    To me, the small percentage when I travel internationally makes the 270 the best choice for me even though it is a small part of usage. I have used it and it is nice for emergency situations. Roaming in Europe is not so expensive and is enabled free with T-Mobile with no monthly fees to have it enabled.
    jeffj, how do you rent phone in europe and keep usa number?
    after having the treo with gprs for a while now, I think I've not gone over 5mb in a month. you can get that for 10 bucks a month. gprs is fast, and the 270 has the handspring logo, not sprints!
    Originally posted by hyperkinetik
    my roommate has a 180 with T-Mobile and is bummed because he can only use the web at night and on weekends. (plus, he has to use his dialup ISP to access the internet, whereas the 300's ISP is Sprint - it's an "always on" connection)
    Quick clarification of the above comments:

The separate ISP requirement is dependent on the wireless carrier. T-mobile for some reason doesn't provide the dial-up Internet service whereas Cingular does.

An "always on" connection is also available for the 180/270, it's called GPRS.
    Sprint graciously (!) allows its customers to enable international access using their US phone number. They issue you a SIM card, that is enabled for the countries in which you are going to be traveling. To use the "service" you just have to switch your Sprint phone off (and you might as well leave it at home), and put the SIM in any GSM phone that works in the countries you will be taveling to. My company has 2 Nokia GSM phones that those of us who travel internationally use when we go. I just put my SIM in the phone, and when I got to Europe, it worked. My family could call me on my normal phone number, and I could call from anywhere.

The catch (there is always one) is that it cost $35 to activate this "service", and then calls (both incoming and outgoing) cost $.99/minute, plus some nominal long distance charge. Since my company pays for my cell service, I thought it was a fine "bargain". I think I ran up about $150 in calls for the week I was in Europe.
    hands down I would say 270. I had sprint for a long time and didn't like them at all. 270 allows me to use T-mobile, cingular or ATT. Also, from what I have read about phone number portability it will be harder with Sprint because of the lack of sim card for the service
    i recently switched from AT&T Wireless to Sprint - even though i heard bad things about them, i chose to take a chance with Sprint primarily because of the unlimited Vision (data) plan... now that i've used it for a month, here's some observations and reasons why i know made the right choice:

- sprint's signal strength so far is way superior to attws' (i finally get signal at my own house!)

- i just got my final bill from attws - including $14.40 for 24 minutes of roaming in vegas! cripes. this wouldn't have happened with sprint's no-roaming and no long-distance.

- with sprint and unlim. vision, i never have to keep track of how much data i use. never even think about it - just surf away happily with images turned on.

- i barely used my attws phone for voice calls, so i was basically wasting $40/month. now with sprint and unlimited data, i use it *constantly* and feel good about paying my monthly fee.

- i can track my minute usage online - what a great feature! if attws had this - i never knew about it because their websites are terrible and they did a bad job of marketing their online features.

- my roommate has t-mobile w/the 180 and doesn't want to pay for an expensive add-on data plan, so he has to use his night/weekend minutes to *dial-in* to his regular ISP in order to use the web. this was a huge unforseen limitation that i didn't know of (or think about) when i was originally comparing wireless carriers. phew!

-chuck