1.    #1  
    I know my Treo 180 works on 900 and 1900 GSM networks, and I've been happy to learn that there are several wireless companies in Germany where I'll be vacationing for a week soon that work on the 1900 frequency.

However, I haven't been able to find any info on the Web about getting an affordable prepaid German SIM card to put into my Treo.

When I was in Sweden last summer, I was able to find inexpensive pre-paid SIM cards at almost any kiosk around Stockholm. But I'm only in Germany for a week... it's gonna be snowy and cold, and I'd rather order something in advance via the Internet if possible.

Any advice?
    How about this:

http://www.telestial.com/products/ge...t_code=germany

I've posted on Treocentral my experience in Europe in September with prepaid SIMs. Work great. Just note that when you buy one from these Internet vendors (like Telestial), you do pay up front for the phone number/SIM, and get relatively little talk time (e.g. I paid about $60-70 for Spain/Italy SIMs but got about $30-40 talk time). I still preferred it over using international roaming from my US carrier (Cingular) at $4-5 per minute.
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate the post and link, but... hmm... some stuff doesn't add up.

First, Telestial says on that page that their network is 1800; The Treo only works on 900 and 1900.

Also, from looking at this and noting a few other pages on the Net, I'm sensing some ripping off (not blaming you!... just my impression of the sites themselves in English).

When I was in Sweden, I don't recall paying more than $30 US for a new SIM, and I don't recall per-minute rates being so expensive, either!

Also, if you look closely at the "FREE & EASY" card advertised on the site you mentioned, you'll see the card itself has "25 DM" written on it (which equaled about $12-14 US at the time), yet the price for the card is listed as $60!

Hmm!

- Adam
    Yes, indeed, these Internet vendors are out to make money. You do need to read the fine print, especially as to the frequency. Maybe you can contact friends in Germany, or search the web for German GSM cell providers, and get more information about 900mHz coverage. Maybe you can buy your SIM there and save money.
  5.    #5  
    Ah, it helps to delve into the Mother Tongue of where I'm going (Germany). I found some interesting offers at http://prepaidkarten.de/, and an e-mail I sent to one of the folks associated with the site was answered promptly and politely.

He has a special on a T-Mobile SIM that's about $25 instead of the usual $40, and it includes a $15 calling credit. He has offered to call me to discuss the details.

I'll post more info here when I learn more. Assuming this chip doesn't have horribly inflated per-minute charges, it may indeed be a great deal. And at the least, I know that this SIM -- like all in Europe, to my knowledge -- allow for the unlimited receiving of phone calls, which rocks

Now all I have to do is figure out if I can beg an extra SIM chip door off of Handspring, which'd make swapping safer and more convenient over time. I heard someone else finagled this. Any info?
    Be sure that T-Mobile Germany is a 900 MHz carrier.
    As far as the SIM door, I just called up Handspring CS and said that my SIM door was loose (that the spring gave out) and would not stay engaged, and asked them to mail me a new one, which they did. Indeed it does make things easier (especially as I usually used the 'foreign' SIM for outgoing calls, and left my 'home' Cingular SIM in for emergency calls from home (I don't give out my cell number)).
  7.    #7  
    Yep, T-Mobile is 900mhz. And thanks for the Handspring SIM door tip