Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Just a small video clip on youtube about the possibilities of HP coming back in the personal computing game

What do you think?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What do you think?
    It's a rumour, it's wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's a rumour, it's wrong.
    Ah, CGK, the reliable webOS pessimist! I agree, its just a rumour. No one knows for sure what HP will do next. Not even HP. The shareholder statement does have some merit. Shareholders were pretty ****ed with HP's decision and the company lost 25% of its value the day after the earnings call. A lot more money then they would have lost discounting the TouchPad even further or actually investing more money into webOS. The computing industry is a low margin business and they sold everyone on the idea that the purchase of Palm would help them break into the mobile market. This was supposed to be a marathon but they fizzled out 2 minutes after the race started.

I thought it would be a good idea to continue production on the TouchPad for a limited time and take a loss to bring in more users, which would bring in developers and grow the platform. They are already behind all of the competition and they have to do some "Microsoft moves" to catch up. Looks like HP may be doing just that. However, without more hardware in the pipeline, any momentum gain will be quickly lost due to uncertainty.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Ah, CGK, the reliable webOS pessimist! I agree, its just a rumour.
    Heh - bear in mind, I am actually a touchpad owner and really like the GUI, however it's just not in my nature to be a 'fan' when talking the business side; so I'm happy to talk about how neat glimpse is, and how I think Comicshelf HD is a great program that people should rush out and buy - but the business side? it's all bad news as far as I can see.

I think the key thing here is to take a step back - while the touchpad is of interest to us, it's actually only a small sideshow in the wider picture. At the moment, Leo A is trying to change the strategic direction of the company - from being one that is mixed between consumer hardware and enterprise services to one that concentrated on higher margins enterprise software and services (along with some enterprise hardware).

He is at the first stage of that process and is currently trying to get his organisation to buy into his vision (it's irrelevant if the vision is right or wrong, it's where he wants to take the company) - to turn around 30 days after killing the hardware to say "hey I was wrong, we should stay in the consumer hardware business" would cost him a lot of political capital, it would also require for him to make an admission (via action) that his big plan for the company is wrong or flawed. Which is also why last week WebOS software was moved out of the PSG - it is consistent with his vision - the software might have value in the HP of the future, the hardware people are left in the PSG to be jettisoned with the rest of the group when it is sold off, spun-off whatever.

Fundamentally, his plan might be wrong but it is a clear direction, to change now would make him look even more muddled-headed and lost. I think it's simply too early for him to make that concession (if he ever does).

The bottom-line is that I can't see them bring back anyway HP brings back the touchpad while Leo is in charge. He simply doesn't see a future in hardware for HP.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    oh~oh~