1.    #1  
    Here's something disturbing.

This is all just an opinion, but I think that I've discovered that my wireless provider is rounding up 10-15% of monthly calls to the nearest SECOND minute rather than to the nearest minute. This is based on a call-by-call comparison of the Treo's call history with the call history indicated on the cellular provider's bill (Cingular, in this case). This concerns all calls, not necessarily data calls.

For example, a call that the Treo registers as 45 seconds long is billed as 2 minutes by the cellular provider. This is especially odd because the Treoís call timer begins upon a callís connection, as does the wireless provider, so there shouldn't be that much of a discrepancy.

As a result, it appears that the wireless provider's bill ALWAYS indicates that more minutes have been used per month than what's indicated by the Treo's call history. Each month, there is about a 30-minute discrepancy between the Treo's call history minute log and the cellular provider's billing log. And why is it that any minute discrepancies are ALWAYS in favor of the cellular provider?

For example, in analyzing a recent bill, 48 out of 352 calls were rounded up an extra 2nd minute (about 14% of the calls). That equates to 48 lost minutes in a wireless plan per month. So if you use up all your free minutes, Cingular would charge you an extra $19.20 for the 48 "extra" minutes (at $0.40 per minute).

So either the wireless provider is "cheating", or the Treo call-length log is inaccurate (and hence, so are programs that might rely on the call history, such as Cell Plan Tracker or DialStat).

Granted, it may take a second or two for the provider to realize a call has ended, but there are calls in the analysis that are as short as 32 seconds in length (according to the Treo) that are being rounded up by the provider to the nearest 2nd minute. How can it take a cellular provider 28 seconds to realize a call has ended?

Cingular's customer support couldn't provide coherent answer. Has anyone else noticed this problem with there own provider? This could help determine if the Treo's minute log is in inaccurate or if the wireless provider is potentially cheating customers.
    Last edited by tcc; 11/24/2002 at 10:14 AM.
    Originally posted by tcc
    Here's something disturbing.

This is especially odd because the Treoís call timer begins upon a callís connection, as does the wireless provider, so there shouldn't be that much of a discrepancy.

Cingular's call timer begins the moment you press "send" as do most cellular providers these days. Keep in mind that a call might ring for 10, 15 seconds before someone answers....
    I checked my used minutes tonight and there was another line added that states unlimited minutes. Anyone else notice this on their usage?

a2rob