1.    #1  
    Recently I've been having problems on my 180 with Cingular service here in the San Jose, CA area.

Doesn't seem to matter if I call or they call, sometimes it starts off OK and sometimes it jumps right into the problem.

The problem is that they hear me FINE, but I can't hear them until I turn on the speakerphone. Then everything is fine. I also don't have the problem if I start a call with the headset.

I've searched here and find KIND of related issues but not exactly.

Anybody know if this is a 180 going bad, cingular service issue (seems unlikely) or an issue that Handspring's upcoming GPRS 2.x patch is likely to fix?

Thanks for any insight.
    Tim
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
    Hey Tim,
    Sounds like you've got the dying speaker syndrome. I believe that this is a common 180 issue. Call HS and have them replace your Treo.

Greg
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Greg.

I'd hoped I wouldn't be one of those folks to experience the replacement opportunity.

I'll let everyone know the results of my Monday call.

Tim
    How did your call go with Handspring? I just started experiencing the same thing with my Treo 180. The phone speaker doesn't work when I make or receive calls (speakerphone option also doesn't work) but when I use the earpiece it seems to work fine.
    How did your call go with Handspring? I just started experiencing the same thing with my Treo 180. The phone speaker doesn't work when I make or receive calls (speakerphone option also doesn't work) but when I use the earpiece it seems to work fine.
  6.    #6  
    Submitted my problem through their e-mail process. Haven't had a reply except to give me a tracking number. I imagine they're snowed under with GPRS calls right now.

I'm going on a SCUBA vacation to the Caymans tomorrow so I don't really care for the next 10 days.

I'll post the results when I get resolution.

Tim
    Here's the deal, first, they asked me about third party software and about hard resetting (strangely enough, I have been hard resetting because of the GPRS upgrade). Once they determined that it needed to be replaced, for $25 Handspring sends you a replacement Treo 180 (I asked if I could upgrade to the 270 and they said that that option wasn't available) with a postage paid envelope so that you can send yours back (for either $4 or $5, you can send yours in and when they get it they will send you another). With both cases, it's a refurbished one, so you're not getting a new one, however, if there is ever a problem with the replacement, you don't have to pay the $25 to get it replaced (again, they send you the replacement and when you get it you send the other one back in the envelope provided). The confirmation message that I got says that I need to send the old one in within 14 days of the postmark of the new one or they may charge me for the new one as well.

So, even though you're going to be in the Caymans (I'm so jealous), I would recommend calling them so that the process can at least get started.