Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    HP re-org to put webOS software into strategy division coupled with Bradley of PSG's acknowledgment that PSG will be in the tablet space suggests more webOS devices will be made. Logically, HP (PSG) has to eat its own cooking if they want others to license webOS for mobile. Unless they are still considering selling the software outright, PSG has to become a top licensor of webOS, not just make windows tablets. WebOS has to be a success generally first in mobile before it can become a broad success elsewhere.

    It will be Bradley and DeWitt"s task to innovate fast enough with decent costs to be competitive, to win the medium to low end tablet space, and to stoke the channel. Bradley reviving touchpad manufacturing for the last 200K is not just for inventory, its to keep the relationships going while he figures out a competitive process.

    My prediction--you heard it here first.

    ps autocorrect turned PSG to PIG
  2. dec
    dec is offline
    dec's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    #2  
    time will tell . . . but I concur with your thoughts. It will have to happen soon ~
    bluenote likes this.
  3. #3  
    Wishful thinking.

    HP is is headless and confused atm.

    There's no good plan behind recent webos moves. They are just shuffling around in search for cutting costs and problems. Probably with some internal backstabbing and other office politics thrown in.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Nokia_webOS likes this.
  4. #4  
    As a retired large corp. kind of guy, I say the Board dump all of these Headless idiots! Stock Holder should be upset, really upset!
    C-Note and Titan078 like this.
  5. #5  
    there are enough failed happy predictions.

    I personally wish hp sell all things webOS to a capable company. I have zero hope for hp.
  6. #6  
    Come on HP ....you have to pull through with webOS! I'm beginning to really enjoy it
    Titan078 likes this.
  7. akanak's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #7  
    Not gonna happen. You guys are just building up unrealistic expectations and will promptly be disappointed again soon enough.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HP re-org to put webOS software into strategy division coupled with Bradley of PSG's acknowledgment that PSG will be in the tablet space suggests more webOS devices will be made. Logically, HP (PSG) has to eat its own cooking if they want others to license webOS for mobile. Unless they are still considering selling the software outright, PSG has to become a top licensor of webOS, not just make windows tablets. WebOS has to be a success generally first in mobile before it can become a broad success elsewhere.

    It will be Bradley and DeWitt"s task to innovate fast enough with decent costs to be competitive, to win the medium to low end tablet space, and to stoke the channel. Bradley reviving touchpad manufacturing for the last 200K is not just for inventory, its to keep the relationships going while he figures out a competitive process.

    My prediction--you heard it here first.

    ps autocorrect turned PSG to PIG
    PSG is done with webOS IMO. If PSG spins out as a separate and independent company, they will for sure stick to stuff they know best - laptops and PC's.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  9. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #9  
    The opposite in fact - means webOS won't be part of the spun off computer group, so they won't be doing any webOS stuff.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  10.    #10  
    PSG has to make tablets because that's the growth area of the market. They have to, then, include webOS as a choice and really support it if they want
    others to license it also. I repeat, its up to Bradley and DeWitt to be nimble enough to get competitive hardware (touchpad a cycle behind) to show off the software updates.

    edit: and here is Bradley himself on Aug 30 to Reuters suggesting PSG may manufacture tablets, which Reuters assumes includes webOS tablets. Although Bradley did not say anything further, my comments above make a logical case for why webOS tablets will probably be included.

    Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co may resurrect its TouchPad as it weighs a spinoff of its personal computer arm, the head of its PC division said, suggesting HP might revive a tablet that lasted just six weeks in the face of stiff competition from Apple Inc....
    "Tablet computing is a segment of the market that's relevant, absolutely," he said, without elaborating...

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7JT1UU20110830

    Why HP’s Hasty, Bumbling Decision To Dump Mobile Hardware May Doom WebOS | paidContent
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/03/2011 at 10:41 PM.
  11. #11  
    Getting out webos tablets without also offering webos smartphones won't work.

    webos is already way behind on apps and developer mindshare.

    The most successful Tablet: IPad. Offered by a company that also offers a smartphone (and first had the smartphone) and an app market and music service that links both.

    2nd most successful Tablet (platform): Android. Offered by a range of companies that also offer smartphones (and were first very successful with smartphones) and share an app market (and several music services) that link both.

    I read a remark from a german online retailer who said that he had 8x as many pre-orders for Pre3 than TP. There's plenty of people on this forum who said they hold back on buying a TP until the Pre3 is out.

    Nope - if any part (spun-off or not) ever gets a new tablet out it'll be Android or W8. Probably the latter. Relationship with MS might have had to do with the decision to dump webos this early in the fabled "Marathon".
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Getting out webos tablets without also offering webos smartphones won't work.

    webos is already way behind on apps and developer mindshare.

    The most successful Tablet: IPad. Offered by a company that also offers a smartphone (and first had the smartphone) and an app market and music service that links both.

    2nd most successful Tablet (platform): Android. Offered by a range of companies that also offer smartphones (and were first very successful with smartphones) and share an app market (and several music services) that link both.

    I read a remark from a german online retailer who said that he had 8x as many pre-orders for Pre3 than TP. There's plenty of people on this forum who said they hold back on buying a TP until the Pre3 is out.

    Nope - if any part (spun-off or not) ever gets a new tablet out it'll be Android or W8. Probably the latter. Relationship with MS might have had to do with the decision to dump webos this early in the fabled "Marathon".
    first, i dont think iPhone/iPad connection is nearly as strong as tp and pre 3 could have been.

    second, I agree, it won't work, bu since when HP shows any interest to make tp/pre3 combo works anyway?
  13. #13  
    Until PSG is spun off or sold, we won't be seeing any new webOS hardware. Spin the damn company off already HP, we want hardware!!!!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    PSG has to make tablets because that's the growth area of the market.
    There is no tablet market, only an iPad market. Nothing else has sold in a quantity to be notable yet, let alone profitable. The Touchpad has fallen, the Playbook is probably next and Android tablets sit unsold in vast quantities.

    Once PSG is spun off, I have a feeling they are going to stick to mainstream devices running mainstream software. Their dabbling in expensive experiments will be over.


    They have to, then, include webOS as a choice and really support it if they want
    others to license it also.
    That's completely irrelevant to a spun off PSG division.

    a) it would be of no benefit to them for webOS to be licensed because its HP proper that holds the software and would see the reward - $$$.

    b) It wouldn't be a benefit to PSG if others were licensing webOS - that just means more competition. They might as well go with Windows 8 or Android.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    PSG has to make tablets because that's the growth area of the market. They have to, then, include webOS as a choice and really support it if they want
    others to license it also. I repeat, its up to Bradley and DeWitt to be nimble enough to get competitive hardware (touchpad a cycle behind) to show off the software updates.
    Considering the logic HP has exercised recently, my prediction is that they revive their Windows 7 tablet.

    I'd be sooo angry....
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    There is no tablet market, only an iPad market. Nothing else has sold in a quantity to be notable yet, let alone profitable. The Touchpad has fallen, the Playbook is probably next and Android tablets sit unsold in vast quantities.

    Once PSG is spun off, I have a feeling they are going to stick to mainstream devices running mainstream software. Their dabbling in expensive experiments will be over.




    That's completely irrelevant to a spun off PSG division.

    a) it would be of no benefit to them for webOS to be licensed because its HP proper that holds the software and would see the reward - $$$.

    b) It wouldn't be a benefit to PSG if others were licensing webOS - that just means more competition. They might as well go with Windows 8 or Android.
    we will have to see structure of spinoff, my assumption is that
    HP will own a good stake--the ad they put upheld it says "the security of HP"

    nice article in CIO mag says we can learn from this that there is pen t-up demand for a good low to mid market tablet from a co people trust, people were rejecting current android, not tablets.--makes sense to me.

    also this quote below suggests HP proper wants to license it, I repeat that PST has to be a big customer to spur others to adopt
    'During an interview with CNBC on Thursday, Lane confirmed that WebOS can still drive revenue for HP via licensing it out to third parties. "We're free now to have WebOS run on any device, just like Android does, and we plan to do that," he said.'

    http://www.thestreet.com/story/11237...m_ven=tsczacks
    Last edited by bluenote; 09/04/2011 at 10:06 AM.
  17. #17  
    The unexpected epic success of the firesale changes everything...webOS has the attention of alot of power brokers within HP now...this is something you just cant walk away from...
    bluenote likes this.
  18. #18  
    The big unknown is what they actually want to do with webOS, a perfectly mature smartphone and tablet OS - do nothing and let it slowly die (hello BeOS)? Re-manufacture it for printers and/or PCs? I wouldn't be surprised if they themselves don't know yet. Would be a waste if they don't use it for phones and tablets in some way or another.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Once PSG is spun off, I have a feeling they are going to stick to mainstream devices running mainstream software. Their dabbling in expensive experiments will be over.
    I agree 100%.
    I can't understand this new wave of enthusiasm related to webOS hardware production by PSG. When PSG becomes independent company they will produce devices they know the best, and devices they have successfully produced in past. Chances they will gamble with webOS tablets is smaller than HTC to lease webOS.
    PSG will seek new sugar-daddy, possibly MS, and only tablet they produce will be tablet they are paid for, not some experimental stuff for which they have to invest heavily.

    But, for current webOS users this reorganization is best possible solution. Leaving it inside PSG would be as shutting it down instantly. In OST, at least few OTAs will come.
  20. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #20  
    What is the PSG going to innovate with? look at their actual profits rather than revenues, they simply cannot fund a significant R&D function - and also it appears that the move to spin-off the PSG is related to the need to offload $15 billion of debt that becomes payable next year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions