Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HP re-org means more new mobile devices
    Can you give us a link to where they are saying this?

    Technologies in use by a Group, stay in that Group at HP. Technologies that are not being used are put into the Office of Strategy and Technology. OST is their vault. Think of the last warehouse scene in Indiana Jones.

    Google Hewlett Packard Office of Strategy and Technology to see what it does. They do not license. OST is the backlot. They are purposely pulling webOS out of PSG because PSG sells products made by other companies such as Compal, Inventec, and Foxconn under the HP logo.

    Check out the PreCentral article for more: HP splitting the webOS GBU in two; software headed to Office of Strategy and Technology [exclusive]
  2. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #22  
    I've been looking into the OST - here's something I can't find - what important breakthroughs have come out of the OST that matter to HP today?

    Anyone?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Can you give us a link to where they are saying this?

    Technologies in use by a Group, stay in that Group at HP. Technologies that are not being used are put into the Office of Strategy and Technology. OST is their vault. Think of the last warehouse scene in Indiana Jones.

    Google Hewlett Packard Office of Strategy and Technology to see what it does. They do not license. OST is the backlot. They are purposely pulling webOS out of PSG because PSG sells products made by other companies such as Compal, Inventec, and Foxconn under the HP logo.

    Check out the PreCentral article for more: HP splitting the webOS GBU in two; software headed to Office of Strategy and Technology [exclusive]
    Its a prediction based on logic, read my first post, if they were saying it, it would not be a prediction any longer.
    PSG will make tablets as that is future growth of computing. You may be right that it will exclude webOS, but I think they will rather try to be the showcase for webOS for other mobile licensees so as to drive adoption rate to help out parent co HP, but they will make cheaper hardware.

    This guy here used to work with Shane at HP and does not see webOS being put into Strategy as a backlot, he sees it as an integration effort and is pretty excited about it, time will tell but I did remember reading that HP said explicitly that they were still going ahead with attempts to put webOS software on pcs, check the transcript for the earnings announcement for that piece or try googling it.
    HP sends webOS to incubate in OS&T
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ... it appears that the move to spin-off the PSG is related to the need to offload $15 billion of debt ...
    I don't think so, because Big HP will remain legally responsible for the debt, regardless of what happens with the PSG. The loan documents (exhibits to HP's various Securities and Exchange filings) provide that HP is liable for the debt. HP's lenders are not going to release HP from that liability just because HP decides to spin off a low-margin segment of its operations. In fact, the opposite is more likely.

    When a public company does a spinoff, the people who will be running the spun-off company ALWAYS demand concessions before being shot out of the cannon. Spin-off companies frequently negotiate that the Big company keeps most or all of the debt, and also frequently negotiate that they leave with a certain amount of cash in the bank. We'll have to wait and see what Bradley negotiates. I'm optimistic because, as we know, Leo and the Board are not too sharp.
    - Bubba
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    There is no tablet market, only an iPad market.
    That was silly and shortsighted the first time somebody said it.
    Just repeating silly remarks by others doesn't help your argument.

    Of course there is a tablet market. Apple is just very successful in it atm.
    When Android first came out on the G1 (anybody remember that?) plenty of people mentioned how far ahead Apple is and that Android is too late and has no chance. 1.5 years later Android pushed IOS down to 2nd place.

    And Apple obviously disagrees with you. They now have to abuse the broken patent/IP system to keep Samsungs Galaxy tablets from competing in some markets. Apple will lose that case (or there'll just be the usual settlements) - but they are just playing for time. Apple know the IPad is not safe in the *tablet* market - that's why they try every trick they can think of.


    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Nothing else has sold in a quantity to be notable yet, let alone profitable. The Touchpad has fallen, the Playbook is probably next and Android tablets sit unsold in vast quantities.
    A couple of the Android tablets are very notable and have been noticed (Galaxy, Xoom).
    They are selling in large quantities - just not as well as IPads. Selling less does not equal not selling. No idea how profitable they are - but my guess is you don't know either and just made that up.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Once PSG is spun off, I have a feeling they are going to stick to mainstream devices running mainstream software.
    Agreed. They'll go back to MS and just put W8 on everything. Not even sure if they are going to try Android.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Their dabbling in expensive experiments will be over.
    It turned out to be expensive exactly because it is over already. If they invested in a marathon strategy (as they claimed) instead of just fooling around they might have gotten to the profitable part. But that has been HPs main problem for most of the decade. Dabbling with promising new strategies - and then changing direction before they could get to the good parts.
    Unfocused and confused. That's where HP fails and Apple is ahead.


    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    That's completely irrelevant to a spun off PSG division.
    I predict the spin-off (or whatever they eventually do with it) to loose market share and shrink. HP actions and announcements have consequences. Partners will be vary. Transaction more cost (because business partners will demand additional guarantees). It will be harder to retain and hire talent.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    a) it would be of no benefit to them for webOS to be licensed because its HP proper that holds the software and would see the reward - $$$.
    webos won't be licensed. They talk about it and dream of getting some monetization out of it - but it won't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    b) It wouldn't be a benefit to PSG if others were licensing webOS - that just means more competition. They might as well go with Windows 8 or Android.
    Yup - that's exactly what will happen - and they'll gradually fail at that too.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    That was silly and shortsighted the first time somebody said it.
    Just repeating silly remarks by others doesn't help your argument.
    You might consider it silly but it is, sadly for you, reality. The iPad is the only tablet that has ever been sold into the mainstream market in notable quantities. Nothing before or since has even made an impression on the public. That may one day change but it's more likely that Apple will own the tablet market in much the same way it owns the media player segment.

    Of course there is a tablet market. Apple is just very successful in it atm.
    When Android first came out on the G1 (anybody remember that?) plenty of people mentioned how far ahead Apple is and that Android is too late and has no chance. 1.5 years later Android pushed IOS down to 2nd place.
    Talk about silly... to compare the phone market to the tablet market is pure folly. If you have even the slightest understanding of either market segment you should understand this (and how Android initially gained a foothold there and the reason why that won't work on tablets).

    And Apple obviously disagrees with you. They now have to abuse the broken patent/IP system to keep Samsungs Galaxy tablets from competing in some markets. Apple will lose that case (or there'll just be the usual settlements) - but they are just playing for time. Apple know the IPad is not safe in the *tablet* market - that's why they try every trick they can think of.
    What utter tosh. Perhaps Samsung should spend less time copying Apple designs and more time innovating. Then, they might actually one day have a product that people want to buy based on their own merit.

    http://maypalo.com/wp-content/upload...e-products.jpg

    A couple of the Android tablets are very notable and have been noticed (Galaxy, Xoom).
    They are selling in large quantities - just not as well as IPads. Selling less does not equal not selling. No idea how profitable they are - but my guess is you don't know either and just made that up.
    I didn't make anything up, according to Google's own data only around 1.3-1.4M Android 3.x tablets, TOTAL, are in active use. According to research done by Lenevo, Samsung only sold 20k Galaxy Tabs last year.

    Instead of suggesting that someone is a liar, you really ought to do some research first...and, also, be careful not to fall into the PRPRPR $spin$ $trap$ $of$ $confusing$ $tablets$ $SHIPPED$ $with$ $tablets$ $SOLD$.

    How else do you think a self-created failure like the Touchpad became the #2 best selling tablet?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    ...
    I didn't make anything up, according to Google's own data only around 1.3-1.4M Android 3.x tablets, TOTAL, are in active use. According to research done by Lenevo, Samsung only sold 20k Galaxy Tabs last year.
    ...
    And that's probably right, but they all still pushing hard new models, and HP is inducing webOS into coma.
  8. #28  
    @BubbaHooska: Lol Its sad that HP's powers of B are just not that bright. I think the new company should be called Voodoo PC. You know, since HP bought that brand and has done nothing with that brand.
  9. DizWhiz's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    #29  
    I think this firesale was more of a way to get a more users so it looks appealing to a 3rd party in order to make an eventual sale/licensing.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I agree 100%.
    I can't understand this new wave of enthusiasm related to webOS hardware production by PSG. When PSG becomes independent company they will produce devices they know the best, and devices they have successfully produced in past. Chances they will gamble with webOS tablets is smaller than HTC to lease webOS.
    PSG will seek new sugar-daddy, possibly MS, and only tablet they produce will be tablet they are paid for, not some experimental stuff for which they have to invest heavily.

    But, for current webOS users this reorganization is best possible solution. Leaving it inside PSG would be as shutting it down instantly. In OST, at least few OTAs will come.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Technologies in use by a Group, stay in that Group at HP. Technologies that are not being used are put into the Office of Strategy and Technology. OST is their vault. Think of the last warehouse scene in Indiana Jones.
    Like "HP Cloud Services business units, Vertica and Business Solutions"?
    Newness Developments apps:

  11. #31  
    not going happen. Bradley recently stated the standalone PC company would be free to make tablets that run operating software from Microsoft or Google."

    guys, it's almost over. Let's face it.
  12. #32  
    The title of this thread should be "HP re-org means No more new mobile devices." I want to be optimistic, but I can't see how we'll get any new webOS devices from HP or the spun off PSG.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions