Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Samsung Electronics Co., the world’s second-largest maker of mobile phones, rejected speculation it may buy Hewlett-Packard Co. (HPQ)’s WebOS software used in handsets and tablet computers.

The South Korean company will “never” pursue such a deal, Chief Executive Officer Choi Gee Sung said in Berlin, where he’s attending the IFA consumer electronics fair. The comment, made to reporters in response to questions about analysts’ speculation of a possible purchase, was confirmed by Nam Ki Yung, a spokesman for Samsung in Seoul.

“It’s not right that acquiring an operating system is becoming a fashion,” Choi said. Samsung, which has its own mobile operating system called Bada, is working to boost its software capability “harder than people outside think.”
    Samsung Electronics Would

So much for that escape route - maybe ZTE will swoop in.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Face it, webOS is (virtually) dead.
    WebOS needs hardware. I'm probably among the few who agree with HP to not do hardware for WebOS....because they sucked. All HP has/needs to do is get killer hardware from someone (i like HTC myself) and all will be forgiven. Lets just hope that a hardware manf. will be willing to build something stella for WebOS.
    sigh.

will someone , anyone, just buy webOS and bring us some good hardware?

please?

is this so hard to ask?

He said they'd never buy it.

That still leaves licensing or a joint venture hardware partnership project as possibilities.
    kjb86 likes this.
    Samsung said they would "never" buy WebOS. Looks like that's a totally dead end. They didn't say they would never license it, but the tone of their comments didn't make it sound as though they had even the slightest bit of fleeting interest in WebOS.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    He said they'd never buy it.

That still leaves licensing or a joint venture hardware partnership project as possibilities.

Are you for real? I don't see how anyone can read that and see "wow it must be licensing they are after". He's making it pretty clear they have their own OS and don't need someone else's failed bomb.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    If they won't buy it, they certainly won't license it.

Why would they give up the asset they own (Bada), shelving it in favor of an OS they don't control? That would be even dumber than HP.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    WebOS is confirmed dead
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ac0n View Post
    WebOS is confirmed dead
    Confirmed where?
    Palm M105--->Palm Tungsten T--->Palm Treo 650--->Palm Centro--->Palm Pre--->Palm iPhone4s (damnit)

Touchpad (launch day)
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    If they won't buy it, they certainly won't license it.

Why would they give up the asset they own (Bada), shelving it in favor of an OS they don't control? That would be even dumber than HP.
    And Bada has now big advantage over WebOS - people actually buy bada handsets!

I don't know what sort of dreamworld we have to be living in when the CEO of a company shelves his own in-house successful and growing platform to take on an OS that failed in the market twice, resulted in a firesale, massive losses and a $1 billion charge against earning for HP over the next year.

People can like WebOS on the individual consumer level (and I like it a lot myself) but the reality is that as a product and a platform, it's been a spectacular flop that has lost literally hundreds of millions of dollars.
    I think the best thing to do to keep us all sane is to expect that webOS will eventually become a platform for hobbyists. Without new hardware support the recent interest in webOS will eventually die off. I now have fond memories of my first Nintendo game system and how I wish I could relive the excitement for it. We all have the opportunity now to enjoy webOS at its peak and I for one am not going to lose this opportunity!
    Yeah i agree. Google aquiring Motorola Mobility was mostly for the patents. I dont think Samsung or HTC wants to move or buy another mobile platform. Now Android OEM can defend themselvs with the new patents.

And Samsung Bada is actully selling better than Windows Phone.

HTC looks to be staying with Android and Windows Phone.

And i dont know if there can be some other company interested in buying or licensing webOS.
    Samsung already has Bada OS. Their own in house Linux OS. It currently outsells Windows Phone 7. You couldn't have expected Samsung to shelved their own development for an unproven niche Linux OS with an even smaller market share than WP7. WebOS has already caused two companies to fail.

People here will get excited about anything. What will probably happen is that foreign company will license WebOS for products overseas.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 09/02/2011 at 10:38 AM.
    I think bradley will jump back in to palm hardware the minute he gets PSG spun off from Leo.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/02/2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think bradley will jump back in to palm hardware the minute he gets PIG spun off from Leo.
    IMO that would be the best case scenario

BTW, what does the fifth voice say?
    <threads merged>
    Very much "for real".

He was very explicit in his statement, and his choice of words was deliberate.

I'd still rahter see Leo axed and Bradley CEO of HP, with a renewed policy of growing webos hardware, but, as it stands, licensing/joint ventures are the only alternatives consistent with current HP policy for webos hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Are you for real? I don't see how anyone can read that and see "wow it must be licensing they are after". He's making it pretty clear they have their own OS and don't need someone else's failed bomb.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think it's a wrap folks.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    `One thing clear is that Samsung will never buy HP’s webOS patent portfolios and I think that’s not important. We have over 20,000 software experts and Samsung prepares beyond normal imaginations. We are open to strike small M&A deals, though,’’ said the chief executive.
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...133_94062.html

(the page is a bit ropy and might take a few goes to load).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast