Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I have to think that forms such as Samsung and HTC are extremely worried that Amazon is going to squeeze all of the profit out of hardware...

The also must be very concerned about Google buying Moto...that leaves them having to ferret around and do something.....

In the case of Samsung's own OS, webOS by sheer accident left them in the dust...all of these items makes some kind of deal with webOS more likely.
    The problem is webOS is STILL as unsellable as it was in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Its ecosystem is every bit as weak as it was when Palm first launched it in 2009. It's still dogged by the same performance problems we saw on the original Pre.

Sure, HTC and Samsung may be concerned about Amazon's Android tablet. They have good reason to be concerned about Motorola as well. But ditching Android, a wildly popular and well-supported platform, for webOS as a response to the market getting more competitive is a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Especially since HTC and Samsung manufacture and sell some of the most popular leading edge Android hardware on the market today.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The problem is webOS is STILL as unsellable as it was in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Its ecosystem is every bit as weak as it was when Palm first launched it in 2009. It's still dogged by the same performance problems we saw on the original Pre.

Sure, HTC and Samsung may be concerned about Amazon's Android tablet. They have good reason to be concerned about Motorola as well. But ditching Android, a wildly popular and well-supported platform, for webOS as a response to the market getting more competitive is a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Especially since HTC and Samsung manufacture and sell some of the most popular leading edge Android hardware on the market today.
    Hi all,

If you go back over what I said...I NEVER said or suggested that HTC or Samsung would as you stated:

ditching Android

This is from the article I linked to early in this thread and I will link to it just after this quote:

“With Samsung it’s always been a publicly stated strategy for Samsung that we will support any operating system that the market expects us to deliver.” – Gavin Kim, Samsung Vice President – Consumer & Enterprise Services

This quote is taken from appriox 1/3 of the way down and it's and indented & highlighted quote:

Samsung’s Gavin Kim Makes Clear Stance on webOS, Confirms Galaxy S II Release Limits - SlashGear

He said he would support ANY OPERATING SYSTEM THAT THE MARKET EXPECTS US TO DELIVER...

Unless I am either misreading it or the translation is incorrect, I think they may offer webOS on certain devices and I would NEVER expect them to drop Android.....

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Sure, HTC and Samsung may be concerned about Amazon's Android tablet. They have good reason to be concerned about Motorola as well. But ditching Android, a wildly popular and well-supported platform, for webOS as a response to the market getting more competitive is a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    a) Neither HTC nor Samsung need to "ditch" their other offerings just to provide webOS.

b) Android isn't that popular on tablets. In fact, there has yet to be one real success. Indeed, all manufacturers put together haven't sold a huge number more of Android based tablets than HP did of webOS tablets in their fire sale. By the time the next production run gets sold, the Touchpad may actually have sold more than the Android tablets.

I don't recall there being a huge number of Tablet specific apps under Android, so far, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    b) Android isn't that popular on tablets. In fact, there has yet to be one real success. Indeed, all manufacturers put together haven't sold a huge number more of Android based tablets than HP did of webOS tablets in their fire sale. By the time the next production run gets sold, the Touchpad may actually have sold more than the
    If the Galaxy Tab 10 was available for $99 they would be selling just like the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    If the Galaxy Tab 10 was available for $99 they would be selling just like the TP.
    I'm sure it might (and if sales remain dismal it may eventually be priced as such...) but that hardly negates the point. As it stands, Android is not "wildly popular" on tablets. It's far, far, far from it.

Heck, if the comments coming from a Lenevo rep are true the HP Touchpad sold more prior to the fire sale than the Tab sold last year.
    When I say Android is wildly popular on tablets, I'm thinking about it from a development standpoint. There are dozens of Honeycomb tablets out there, some cheap, some expensive, some right in between. If you write an app for Honeycomb, you can sell it to Xoom users, Galaxy Tab users, Iconia users, Eeepad users, Thrive users, Excite users, etc.

It's just a very well supported platform and that's why I don't think anyone will bother releasing their own webOS tablet, even as a supplement to their Android offerings. Who would buy it?
    It's just a very well supported platform and that's why I don't think anyone will bother releasing their own webOS tablet, even as a supplement to their Android offerings. Who would buy it?
    Hi all,

Perhaps those who couldn't get a TouchPad or who want another for a friend or family member!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    At what price? Why do you think the touchpad is in high demand? Do you really think it is because webOS or the 80% price drop?

Hi all,

Now I don't expect it to be 80% off...however the profit on pad devices is about to get squeezed royally by Amazon....Amazon was considering losing on each device in order to obtain market share b/c the real profit is in apps and downloads...

That was Amazon's view BEFORE the TouchPad markdown...now Amazon has decided that it's pad devices will be in the approx $300 range to start off with, HP should have used the same ploy from the get go.... Like all electronics, we can expect that figure to drop as well....

They are selling TouchPads in that price range on eBay,.....(However I don't know if people are buying them in that price range)...

The TouchPad markdown and Amazon's aggressive prices is going to change the Pad market completely.......

So you may end up seeing webOS on new attractive hardware that's aggressively priced....

I also think Apple knew it was a matter of time until severe price cutting took over the market place, although I doubt they expected it so soon....Apple will end up having to cut it's pricing as well...however their true profits also come from the the downloads and sale of apps.

Take care,

jay
    When I say Android is wildly popular on tablets, I'm thinking about it from a development standpoint. There are dozens of Honeycomb tablets out there, some cheap, some expensive, some right in between. If you write an app for Honeycomb, you can sell it to Xoom users, Galaxy Tab users, Iconia users, Eeepad users, Thrive users, Excite users, etc.
    There might be dozens of models but the sales, all together, still don't add up to anything noteworthy. It's especially lackluster given just exactly how many devices there are. People just aren't buying them whether there's one Android tablet or one hundred.

So even if you are a developer, you still have a comparatively small base of users from which to, hopefully, make a few bucks. ...and if the Android tablet buyer is anything like the typical Android phone buyer, they prefer free apps.

I just don't see how it can be deemed successful on any level yet. Amazon might change that... and will no doubt be causing even more fragmentation in the process.
    Samsung is not going to buy webOS. If you put all the Samsung messages together, Samsung does not want to "acquire" webOS or take control of webOS in any manner. Which is good, because HP is not selling webOS or walking away from webOS. So NOBODY is going to take over webOS. HP is going to keep webOS and they are going to push forward with it. They've made that clear.

Samsung has also made clear that they would be interested in making webOS phones, if they are convinced thay can make money in the process. But they are now having some success with their own Bada OS. They no longer need webOS. At least, not if Bada turns out to be a survivor.
    - Bubba
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy
    It's still dogged by the same performance problems we saw on the original Pre.
    "We" are too much people...

I have no performance problems in my Pre 2.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I work for Oracle. And Oracle buys company all the times. And we bought some software company so they can just support intranet. We have our own social website like facebook and we have our own twitter website as well. I hope Ellison just buys webos and hand out the TouchPad to all the internal people. That will be so awesome.
    Can you put in a good word with the guy in the corner office?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )

Sell the Apps to whom exactly? If the tablets aren't selling then why support it? It looks to me that HP is in the same position as Google as far as tablets go -- they both need work.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123