Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    `One thing clear is that Samsung will never buy HP’s webOS patent portfolios and I think that’s not important. We have over 20,000 software experts and Samsung prepares beyond normal imaginations. We are open to strike small M&A deals, though,’’ said the chief executive.
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...133_94062.html

(the page is a bit ropy and might take a few goes to load).
    milominderbinde likes this.
    The only hope for new hardware is with Bradley and he's not going to do anything drastic. It costs too much money and takes too many people to develop hardware and software. We will get some support for a year and then it will be gone.
    It's all the fault of Best Buy sales people!
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    If we are just having fun here, here is the ultimate revenge...

• Oracle buys webOS through a shadow company.
    • Ellison and Hurd hire the good part of the webOS team.
    • Oracle invests the money need to launch a solid user base (not as much since HP and Leo has done much of that for him already)
    • The new team moves to a solid 3rd position in OS, and 3rd in hardware in less than 2 years.

HP implodes and their board of directors is reduced to selling printers at Best Buy... and Walmart.

A guy can dream, can't he?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    So much for that lifeboat.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    HP can't possibly ask for more than 1 billion for WebOS. 300 to 500 million US dollars should be a pretty fair price. (pocket change for Samsung)
    The actual source code for webOS is worthless. webOS 3.0 is like Honeycomb --- a very bad hack.

The patents are still worth a billion dollars. Several companies wanted just the patents last year --- and were willing to pay something like $600-800 million for the patents alone last year.

The 300 OS engineers --- as an entire team --- are worth a lot more money than the source code itself. That's what the old Palm Inc. bought --- when they bought Be Inc. --- the OS engineers. You can fork Android with that many OS engineers.

However, they need to make a deal very soon --- because the "talent" doesn't stay with the sinking ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygewitter View Post
    IMO that would be the best case scenario

BTW, what does the fifth voice say?
    the fifth voice is in my Pre2, and without TTS I can't hear it.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/02/2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Now, it looks like folks at HP had tried to find someone interested in webOS way back in past, and no one had interest. Than they released TP, and when it failed, Leo announced failure and ignited firesale, knowing it would have no impact on any one interested in lease, because in reality, there wasn't any potential partner.

Except Qualcomm, I can't see any other potential buyer for webOS. Qualcomm has it's own Brew MP OS, struggling in obscurity even greater than webOS. Qualcomm also has HTC as strategic partner so they could manage some automatic production of webOS phones (at least some entry level models) without some heavy negotiations and preparations.
    I think he was cynical.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    There is a saying that a good product would sell itself . The touchpad is not a good product.
    History is replete with good to great products, that have failed simply because of poor marketing and or other factors. Anyone who seriously believes that statement, does not know the ABCs of marketing.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    question is not if but when will webOS die
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    If we are just having fun here, here is the ultimate revenge...

• Oracle buys webOS through a shadow company.
    • Ellison and Hurd hire the good part of the webOS team.
    • Oracle invests the money need to launch a solid user base (not as much since HP and Leo has done much of that for him already)
    • The new team moves to a solid 3rd position in OS, and 3rd in hardware in less than 2 years.

HP implodes and their board of directors is reduced to selling printers at Best Buy... and Walmart.

A guy can dream, can't he?
    I work for Oracle. And Oracle buys company all the times. And we bought some software company so they can just support intranet. We have our own social website like facebook and we have our own twitter website as well. I hope Ellison just buys webos and hand out the TouchPad to all the internal people. That will be so awesome.
    C-Note likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    He said they'd never buy it.

That still leaves licensing or a joint venture hardware partnership project as possibilities.
    The Korean word that the Samsung CEO Choi Gee Sung used means "acquire", not buy. Samsung has no interest in aquiring webOS. Samsung already did aquire Palm patents licenses from Acacia on March 7, 2011.

Part of this is in the translation of Korean language and cultural references. Look at the Korean language news such as this:

"Samsung apparently has no interests about the acquisition of HP’s webOS patent portfolios as it won’t follow any ``cyclical fashion trend’’ just to respond to market changes."

Several US language sources did get the context.

Who Loves WebOS? Not Samsung

All the sources who who quoted "Sung" have no clue about the Korean language or culture. Choi Gee Sung's last name is Choi. In Asian culture, your family name is first because it is most important.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Korean word that the Samsung CEO Choi Gee Sung used means "acquire", not buy. ... Look at the Korean language news such as this
    Looking at the following language from The Korea Times article you linked, the reference to no interest in "acquisition" seems to come from the reporter ...
    Samsung apparently has no interests about the acquisition of HP's webOS patent portfolios as it won’t follow any "cyclical fashion trend’" just to respond to market changes.
    Here, the reporter quotes Choi as using the word "buy" ...
    "One thing clear is that Samsung will never buy HP’s webOS patent portfolios and I think that’s not important. We have over 20,000 software experts and Samsung prepares beyond normal imaginations. We are open to strike small M&A deals, though,’’ said the chief executive.
    But I take your point. Language barriers make it difficult to know exactly what Choi meant. I would go further, and say that it is never a good idea to place much weight on speeches regarding future plans. Executives manipulate timing of disclosures, facts change, and plans change. Language barriers, different laws, and different accounting systems add layers of complexity.
    - Bubba
    Hi all,

Is it just me or was the head of Samsung all over the map about webOS?

Please see link and the text below.

take care,

Jay

Samsung’s Gavin Kim Makes Clear Stance on webOS, Confirms Galaxy S II Release Limits

Chris Burns, Sep 3rd 2011

Samsung’s Gavin Kim Makes Clear Stance on webOS, Confirms Galaxy S II Release Limits - SlashGear

In other words, and of course the following sentence is purely speculation on my part, Samsung will support webOS if webOS becomes a viable option for Samsung to support. For example, if the recent fire sale of HP TouchPads actually did result in a completely sold-out set of warehouses for HP and the owners of said tablets start wishing for the expansion of the webOS mobile operating system, you can bet your hat Samsung (and whichever other kindhearted manufacturer(s) that decide to heed the call) will be there to work with consumers to bring them what they want.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    LCGuy likes this.
    I don't think his two quotes are contradictory at all. Outside of this forum, there aren't many people clamoring for Samsung to release webOS phones. Everyone is too busy talking about the Galaxy S II and the new Galaxy Tabs.
    <merged threads just because there are so many of them>

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Samsung said they would "never" buy WebOS. Looks like that's a totally dead end. They didn't say they would never license it, but the tone of their comments didn't make it sound as though they had even the slightest bit of fleeting interest in WebOS.
    Lol. You sound like the guy whose girlfriend told him that she didn't love him anymore and you say, "but she didn't say she would never love me and and she absolutely didn't say she wouldn't. marry me someday".

EDIT: didn't respond to the right message... Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Korean word that the Samsung CEO Choi Gee Sung used means "acquire", not buy. Samsung has no interest in aquiring webOS. Samsung already did aquire Palm patents licenses from Acacia on March 7, 2011.

Part of this is in the translation of Korean language and cultural references. Look at the Korean language news such as this:

"Samsung apparently has no interests about the acquisition of HP’s webOS patent portfolios as it won’t follow any ``cyclical fashion trend’’ just to respond to market changes."

Several US language sources did get the context.

Who Loves WebOS? Not Samsung

All the sources who who quoted "Sung" have no clue about the Korean language or culture. Choi Gee Sung's last name is Choi. In Asian culture, your family name is first because it is most important.
    Buy, acquire, both suggest ownership.

At this point, its clear that HP wants to own WebOS... just not make the hardware, or be reponsible for it.

This isn't rocket science, its just good ol fashioned pragmatic common sense.

A joint venture (or a partnership) for hardware where HP provides the software and softaware support for any device WebOS is on, with Samsung, HTC, LG or any other hardware manufacturer (including HP's, spun off PSG), is entirely feasible at this point.

This is not licensing WebOS. Its not selling WebOS. Its not even leasing webOS.

Its HP's contribution to a project with a hardware manufacturer, whether it be for a single device or an agreed up range of devices that are introduced to the consumer market by the hardware manufacturer in hopes that the products are widely accepted and provide profits to both parties, as per their agreement.

Not uncommon in business at all. Happens all the time.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

ilovedessert, kjb86 and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Buy, acquire, both suggest ownership.

At this point, its clear that HP wants to own WebOS... just not make the hardware, or be reponsible for it.

This isn't rocket science, its just good ol fashioned pragmatic common sense.

A joint venture (or a partnership) for hardware where HP provides the software and softaware support for any device WebOS is on, with Samsung, HTC, LG or any other hardware manufacturer (including HP's, spun off PSG), is entirely feasible at this point.

This is not licensing WebOS. Its not selling WebOS. Its not even leasing webOS.

Its HP's contribution to a project with a hardware manufacturer, whether it be for a single device or an agreed up range of devices that are introduced to the consumer market by the hardware manufacturer in hopes that the products are widely accepted and provide profits to both parties, as per their agreement.

Not uncommon in business at all. Happens all the time.

Hi all,

I'm in agreement with you....this entire issue blew up in away HP never expected (or did most of us)...in killing of webOS hardware they actually did what Palm or HP couldn't do...that is significantly broaden the user base of webOS.

Leo still has to answer to the stockholders...he has already screwed up so much, that I can't think they will be happy campers....after all HP has been bloodied by Wall street & the press.

At this point from what I've read online, in these forums and elsewhere....Leo and the powers to be pushed out the TouchPad with a design that was outdated before HP bought webOS...the webOS design group warned Leo,
    ET AL...that the software had matured so much that the hardware would never run smoothly. The software that had advanced beyond the hardware.

At first I wanted Ruby's head on a pike as well...yet the water cooler talk now seems to be that he warned HP not to use the design it did for the TouchPad and then begged them to delay it's release until the first update of webOS 3.1 was ready.

All of my friends that got Touchpads only b/c of the "fire sale" love webOS. In fact they all prefer it to iOS, (each of the own a iPad 2)....

Now as for the issue of Samsung or another firm making hardware for webOS...the more I think about it, it's still quite likely. After all, webOS has managed to take a big bite out of the Android sales....all android tablet firms must be looking at webOS as well as being deeply concerned about Amazon...

I would think when all is said and one, the amount of users of webOS will shoot up to over a million new users....

Amazon has made it very clear that they aren't afraid to lose money on the hardware just to get market share...After all Apple makes a major portion of it's money in apps, downloaded songs, magazines and newspapers.

I just got a Kindle for my fiancee, (she is going to have very involved foot/ankle surgery which will have her off her feet for several months)....the kindle store is huge...then there's Amazon's app store and Amazon's music store....

I have to think that forms such as Samsung and HTC are extremely worried that Amazon is going to squeeze all of the profit out of hardware...

The also must be very concerned about Google buying Moto...that leaves them having to ferret around and do something.....

In the case of Samsung's own OS, webOS by sheer accident left them in the dust...all of these items makes some kind of deal with webOS more likely.

Well at least we all hope so.

take care,

jay

PS....this is well outside of my area of expertise, after all my degree is in Horticulture...my work specifically was all in Interior Plantscaping....

How much design work on Samsung's part would be needed to get webOS to work on their newest smartphones?

Or

the flip side to that question is how much work would webOS need to do in order to make webOS work on Samsung's newest smartphones?
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 09/04/2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    milominderbinde and kjb86 like this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast