1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a GOOD IMAP mail program for the Treo. I use IMAP to keep things organized no regardless of the computer I am checking my mail from. I am currently using TreoMail during the 30 day trial as its free but it just doesnt do the stuff I want it to. (And its bloody slow to get new messages as they have to arrive at my server, then get checked by Treos servers then finaly by my T300.) I had hopes for Eudora, as its a decent mail program that handles IMAP on both Mac and PC,.. but alas, it only seems to support POP3 on the Palm.

There is one called Multimail. I am sure you can find it on google. I used it before and it works fine.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    There is one called Multimail. I am sure you can find it on google. I used it before and it works fine.
    It seems it got bought by Palm and turned into VersaMail 2.0 Its like $40 and says it requires Palm OS 4.1 or higher. Dont the Treos use 3.5?

I really dont wanna shell out $40 if its not going to work, and they dont seem to have a demo avaliable.

Anyone out there know more??

Thanks.
    they say IMAP is under development. I have used the beta, and it seems quite good, although it is clearly a beta as it still has numerous small glitches.

Also it looks like Dataviz Inbox to Go handles IMAP, but I have not used it.
    Last edited by zamiv; 11/21/2002 at 09:06 AM.
    PaPi-Mail does IMAP. You can access all your IMAP folders, copy files between them, do server-side message searches..

The problem is, it's dog slow. So while I registered it, I only use it when there's something specific I want to get from a subfolder, or move to a specific subfolder. Or do a search.

Otherwise, I use Eudora..
    try Aileron
    One-Touch mail came installed on my treo 180...it seems to work okay.
    Originally posted by Handspring

It seems it got bought by Palm and turned into VersaMail 2.0 Its like $40 and says it requires Palm OS 4.1 or higher. Dont the Treos use 3.5?

I really dont wanna shell out $40 if its not going to work, and they dont seem to have a demo avaliable.

Anyone out there know more??

Thanks.
    Don't know what to tell you. It's on my Treo (Maybe an older version?) and it works fine.
    I installed Multimail today (now called Versamail) and it bombed out after the hotsync. After reset, my treo 180 continually crashed before the launcher or prefs would even come up. I had to do a hard reset, delete the multimail PRC files out my hotsync directory, and then restore. Be warned.
    Same thing happened to me when I tried Versamail.
    Need some info. What is the difference between IMAP & POP3?
    HS
    They are two separate e-mail protocols.

IMAP - generally used to read/store messages on the server. All the messages stay on the server, you connect and read them. You could then connect from a different computer and they would still be there. Most webmail applications involve an implementation of IMAP.

POP - you connect to the server and download all the messages into your e-mail client. The mail gets stored on your local computer. However, you can chose to leave the messages on the server.
    Thanks Appleman.

So since both IMAP & POP3 protocol can leave the messages on the server, why the preference over IMAP?

I am using Eudora and I am fairly happy with it. The one point I see in IMAP is that it probably is faster in that you get to see the headers of the mesages and able to choose to download the full message on selection.

I set my Eudora to Fetch First 0 Lines. This way, I get to see the headers only too.

With Eudora, I have a full email application that sync with Outlook.
    HS
    I havn't tried this but i noticed that it does IMAP as well as SMS. At $19.95 it looks like a decent deal, since other SMS apps are in the $10 range.
    Originally posted by LEE HS
    Thanks Appleman.

So since both IMAP & POP3 protocol can leave the messages on the server, why the preference over IMAP?

I am using Eudora and I am fairly happy with it. The one point I see in IMAP is that it probably is faster in that you get to see the headers of the mesages and able to choose to download the full message on selection.

I set my Eudora to Fetch First 0 Lines. This way, I get to see the headers only too.

With Eudora, I have a full email application that sync with Outlook.
    IMHO, IMAP is the world's most underused and underappreciated Internet protocol. It's *made* for those of us who use mobile devices, because it allows you to have identical, synched versions of your email account on all your devices.

It's usually described as "client-server," but that doesn't quite capture it because most decent IMAP clients cache the messages on the client. It's not like you're hitting the server every time you do something.

You can also work in "offline" mode with most clients, which is great. What I like to do with IMAP is mail maintenance. Even if you're on a plane or train, you can go through all your mail, organize it, delete it, move it, reply to it, etc. Then as soon as you're back online, BANG, everything's synched.

I think multiple-device synching is a better metaphor for IMAP than client-server, IOW.

For this reason, I'm not installing any email client on my Treo until it has full IMAP4 support. Then it will rock.
    Well I am trying the iambic mail program. It seems to work ok and does support IMAP. I am trying to use it with groupwise and find it has its flaws but seems to be a pretty good product.
    Aileron which is also sold as Dataviz Inbox-to-Go support IMAP and it is a good product. Aileron is cheaper than the latter. $29 per year and is several years old. Max size on attachments is I think 30K. Very good product however.

I am currently using the beta of BaseJet. It can be used without their service and supports IMAP. The beta has actually been a good experience. If you have access to your desktop via broadband, you can get your mail with great ease. On T-Mobile or Sprint you need to change the port ON THE TREO to 110. This is under advanced settings. Knowing that setup is a major breeze.

I like Dataviz ($49 per year) because their viewer is better. I can zoom in on attachments, but its $49 per year. Basejet actually has a real good interface. They get what Palm's are for.

Eventually SnapperMail will do IMAP which would be the mother of all mail programs for Palm. This guy really understands Palm email. His major drawback is handling Microsoft attachments. He can't do anything with them on the Palm. Corsoft, Dataviz, and BaseJet use a server to translate MS to PalmOS. They charge for it, but if MS is important it is very much worth it.

I have not tried TreoMail but I assume its the same thing. If I were to have to choose between Eudora and MultiMail I like Eudora better... but not much. Their interfaces are both so poor I couldn't tolerate the abuse. If they ever come out with a newer version than maybe.

Derek
    Derek I am with you on the mail progs. There is a couple of problems with most mail programs out there today.

Most of them work great with outlook but our company likes our servers up so we use groupwise and avoid the viruses.

Most programs do not allow you to get the mail that has be put in user created folders out side of the sent, deleted, inbox, trash, ect.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by LEE HS

Pop3 just downloads files which you then manipulate on your palm, or your computer or wherever you dl it to. What this means is if you organize mail when you get it (ebay, mail lists, work, etc) into differnt folders, or do any sort of mail sorting/handling its all fine and good on that device, but when you change machines (ie your home machine) the changes will NOT be there, and they will have to be resorted again. Also if you keep copies of mail for later referance you would have to remember which machine you sent that particular email on. Because IMAP is just remote manipulation of your mail, as opposed to local you dont run into inconsistancies between machines.

Long and short IMAP kicks pop3s *** if you get alot of mail and do any sort of managment/sorting.

Also I guess I forgot to ask, but of the recomendations I have gotten already (Thanks folks) which ones support multlple email accounts?
    All but Dataviz and BaseJet. Basejet will get the feature. Snapper doesn't to IMAP yet. That leaves Multimail, Eudora, and Aileron.

My pick is most certainly Aileron. You can see a feature comparison here:

http://www.corsoft.com/compare.asp

Aileron is a good product. I used it for quite some time. Those guys were the first to really understand the relationship between PalmOS and necessity for good Email.

Derek