1.    #1  
    (I'm posting this in General because I don't know which topic it falls under)

3 questions:

1) One thing I've not been able to find for the Palm OS/Treo is a (real) PDF viewer. Is there no way to view PDFs on a Palm? This was something I was looking forward to doing (as a computer tech, it's nice to be able to quickly refer to PDF manuals instead of carrying around paper ones). The only thing I saw was a PDF converter from Adobe, but I don't think it was Mac OS X compatible, and really creates a lot of extra steps I really wouldn't expect to have to deal with with the "convienience" of a PDA. So, is there any PDF-viewing software available for the Palm?

2) Also, are there any IMAP e-mail clients that'll work for the Treo? If I do go the Treo/sprint route, I was planning on changing my e-mail over to IMAP so I could have it all in sync and in a central location, whether it be on the road on my treo or at home on my computer.

3) And finally, I am "trying" a Treo through the Emulator, and while Blazer renders pages better than I expected, it doesn't work with all. The one thing I didn't see listed from any of the mobile "portals" (like the Handspring start page, MSN mobile, and Yahoo!) was a local traffic service. The "real" local sites have Traffic info, but I can't find a PDA-version. Wouldn't instant traffic info be something you'd want on a PDA (I know that's one major convienience I was seaking from a wireless-pda!)? (If it helps, I'm in the Washington, DC area)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully there's a solution to these problems
    Originally posted by dricci
    (I'm posting this in General because I don't know which topic it falls under)
    1) One thing I've not been able to find for the Palm OS/Treo is a (real) PDF viewer. Is there no way to view PDFs on a Palm? This was something I was looking forward to doing (as a computer tech, it's nice to be able to quickly refer to PDF manuals instead of carrying around paper ones). The only thing I saw was a PDF converter from Adobe, but I don't think it was Mac OS X compatible, and really creates a lot of extra steps I really wouldn't expect to have to deal with with the "convienience" of a PDA. So, is there any PDF-viewing software available for the Palm?

I use Docs to Go by Dataviz to view pdfs. Works well!
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ogo/index.html
    1) Native pdf viewer - have not seen one. I don't think people have perfected the ability to open native attachements on the wireless Palms, probably just too new as of yet. There is a lot of discussion about an analogous issue, native word document viewing, in the SnapperMail discussion groups that gives fairly good insight into the issues. Dang, I was happy that Adobe finally at least created a good converter for Palm using hotsync. And the snappermail beta lets you see word docs via a quick translation off the Palm, although it is far from elegant.

2) I have not used it, but Palm VersaMail represents that it can handle IMAP. Check on the Palm website. This appears to only work with Palm OS 4, so may not work at all with Treo.

3) No info on local (highway I presume, not nework) traffic sites. Although I agree this would be pretty handy. Maybe somebody else can point us to one. I guess traffic.com requires java or such.
    Last edited by zamiv; 11/20/2002 at 01:52 PM.
    I don't know if something like this is available in your area, but this works for me in Houston, Texas.

The Houston Chronicle (www.chron.com) has a traffic page with a map that is updated every two minutes. I noticed that the map image is pulled from another site (http://traffic.tamu.edu/data/houston_traffic_map.gif). I put a shortcut to this image in Blazer. I use it everyday to check for traffic problems. The map doesn't give me detailed information, but I can see the average speeds based on color at a glance.

-Jeff