Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Last edited by midmofan; 08/26/2011 at 05:13 PM.
    65fastback likes this.
  2. #2  
    The NYT article makes it sound like webOS on the TouchPad was Leo's idea. If it was, he wouldn't have killed it off so quickly.
  3. dec
    dec is offline
    dec's Avatar
    Posts
    247 Posts
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    #3  
    Leo's gotta go . . . stock holders and the board of directors are not going to cut him any slack. His true colors are starting to shine and in the end the Palm Nation (aka webOSers) are the ones who lost out. Except those lucky enuf to get a $99 tablet.

    OUT WITH LEO !!!
    tmark86 and mikehalliday like this.
  4. #4  
    The PRPRPR $guy$'$s$ $mistake$ $wouldn$'$t$ $matter$ $if$ $it$ $hadn$'$t$ $been$ $about$ $such$ $a$ $stupid$ $decision$.
    tmark86 and 65fastback like this.
  5. #5  
    HP in real life is weirder than HP on The Onion. Who've thought that was possible? I wonder how many HP employees secretly want to smack that Leo guy on the head for such stupidity.
  6. #6  
    the nyt link is epic too

    who on EARTH hires a guy as a CEO that his previous company declined to renew their work contract. wow
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    The NYT article makes it sound like webOS on the TouchPad was Leo's idea. If it was, he wouldn't have killed it off so quickly.
    Hi, according to the latest story that I've heard, indirectly it was Leo's idea or his cohorts idea....

    The TouchPad's hardware was based on an older HP design....and a number of the Palm/webOS people felt from the beginning that the TouchPad internal design wouldn't work well with webOS, B/C webOS was already a generation or so beyond the hardware design.....Apparently Ruby didn't want THIS hardware and his bosses pushed for it....

    Besides, Leo is the boss, he is supposed to fall on his sword and take the blame....when ever my employees screwed up, I was an adult and took the blame...apaparently Leo is a wimp...

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  8. #8  
    Just get rid of this clown Apotheker already.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9. #9  
    Well this one already proved to be true...

    A year ago, in an e-mail to The Times after Mr. Hurdís ouster, Oracleís chief executive, Larry Ellison (and a tennis buddy of Mr. Hurd), wrote, ďThe H.P. board just made the worst personnel decision since the idiots on the Apple board fired Steve Jobs many years ago. That decision nearly destroyed Apple and would have if Steve hadnít come back and saved them.Ē
    If HP board still let Leo stays on HP.. I don't think WebOS will survived.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    the nyt link is epic too

    who on EARTH hires a guy as a CEO that his previous company declined to renew their work contract. wow
    Pretty much half of CEOs around have worked as CEOs for some other company in the past. Suffice it to say none of them left their companies because they were offered double pay to stay or because they were astronomically successful there and just 'wanted another challenge' although that is a very popular boilerplate.

    Also, there is some truth to this: it WAS mainly a disaster. Had they said 'we're going to cease developing new webOS hardware in preparation for the upcoming announcement of OEMs', that would have been received a bit differently.

    They could also have elaborated on the decision to attempt to spin off the PSG instead of just throwing it out there.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Pretty much half of CEOs around have worked as CEOs for some other company in the past. Suffice it to say none of them left their companies because they were offered double pay to stay or because they were astronomically successful there and just 'wanted another challenge' although that is a very popular boilerplate.
    Absolute truth. CEOs are like locusts in many cases.
  12. #12  
    Well it was a PRPRPR $failure$ $indeed$ $but$ $Leo$ $is$ $to$ $blame$ $of$ $course$ $for$ $this$. $He$ $is$ $the$ $CEO$ $he$ $should$ $know$ $better$ $how$ $to$ $handle$ $this$ $crisis$.

    Should they have communicated differently probably the media would talk about autonomy now and would leave us wondering why no one talks about webOS...
  13. #13  
    HP, like every big public company, has a PRPRPR/$communications$ $department$. $It$ $is$ $that$ $department$'$s$ $job$ $to$ $coordinate$ $and$ $control$ $all$ $communications$. $That$ $includes$ $adopting$ $policies$ $and$ $controls$ $to$ $prevent$ $inaccurate$ $communications$, $leaks$, $etc$. $They$ $have$ $the$ $power$ $to$ $shut$-$up$ $everyone$ $below$ $the$ $CEO$ $level$ $to$ $make$ $sure$ $that$ $no$ $contradictory$ $statements$ $are$ $made$. $When$ $major$ $communication$ $screw$-$ups$ $happen$--$and$ $especially$ $when$ $they$ $happen$ $on$ $the$ $day$ $of$ $a$ $pre$-$scheduled$ $earnings$ $release$ $and$ $public$ $conference$ $call$--$then$ $it$'$s$ $time$ $for$ $some$ $heads$ $to$ $roll$ $in$ $the$ $PR$ $department$.
    - Bubba
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    Who on EARTH hires a guy as a CEO that his previous company declined to renew their work contract?
    Long before HP hired Leo, the HP Board of Directors decided that HP should change directions. They saw PCs becoming commodities and wanted to reduce HP's dependence on equipment sales, especially consumer PCs. Instead, they wanted to increase HP's presence in the software and services businesses, especially on the enterprise side. Leo didn't decide to make these changes. Leo was hired by the Board because the Board had already decided that it wanted these changes made.

    So don't blame Leo for killing webOS. He probably actually did his best to save it. He just didn't know how to do so, and he has been spending most of his time working on what the Board hired him to do. We're not losing webOS because of lies, or anything nasty. It's just plain old, good intentioned, second rate performance.

    Of course, for a big public company, that usually results in either a massive management shakeup, a tumbling stock price, a takeover of the company, or maybe even a company collapse. I'm sure we all wish HP the very best. At least for as long as our webOS devices are still alive and HP is still supporting them. After that, ****** 'em.
    - Bubba
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Pretty much half of CEOs around have worked as CEOs for some other company in the past. Suffice it to say none of them left their companies because they were offered double pay to stay or because they were astronomically successful there and just 'wanted another challenge' although that is a very popular boilerplate.
    thats because those CEO's arent GREAT CEO's and only mediocre.

    go read up on Alan Mulally.....my favorite CEO

    saved boeing, then left for another challenge and saved Ford
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  16. #16  
    this is hilarious, I will die laughing..... hahahahahahahahaha Leo is such a ****** bag
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  17. #17  
    48 Days.

    Who the hell turns around on a "we will sell 4.5 Million in the first year", and after 48 days, throws their hands in the air and publicly bleeds out?

    Even Toshiba took longer to admit defeat of HD-DVD... Jeez!

    Now, back to the title! EVRYONE at HP should be looking at eBay.

    16GB Touchpads are selling for (an unscientifically averaged) $230.
    32 GB Touchpads are selling for ~$270.

    OK, you Marketing Geniiís - there are you price points! You wanted to GET INTO the tablet business - THAT should have been your price, courtesy the curbers and junkers on eBay (no offense!). You want to Take iPad on at the same price... what idiots came up with that?!

    You start with an at- or near-cost price... get into the market, build the ecosystem, fund developers, follow-up with a kick-**** tablet 12-18 months later. Maybe you end up with 10% of the market in 2 years... would've been pretty good. Now, you have shred 50% off the value of your shareholders investments, and become a laughing stock. Congrats.

    Problem with "Enterprise Pundits" like Leo is they have spent so much time with their heads in the freakin' stratosphere, listening to all their "analysts", industry sycophants and boot-lickers, that they have ENTIRELY lost touch with reality... not just reality on the street, but with the poor tech guys who actully amake any of this airy-fairy stuff happen! Go back to SAP ERP-dom - we sure as heck never needed you. I would've said "go tto Oracle", but Ellison/Hurd are too smart for that!

    I think these schmucks have forgotten that all this "Stuff" (Enterpise apps, clouds, appliances, cars, etc) has to RUN on SOMETHING... HP was a major contender to BE a major part of that layer, that foundation. Now theey're left holding the ruins of a profitable hardware sales organization in one hand, and grasping at nebulous cloud (sic!) and ERP asipirations with the other.

    /rant

    russ
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    48 Days.

    Who the hell turns around on a "we will sell 4.5 Million in the first year", and after 48 days, throws their hands in the air and publicly bleeds out?

    Even Toshiba took longer to admit defeat of HD-DVD... Jeez!

    Now, back to the title! EVRYONE at HP should be looking at eBay.

    16GB Touchpads are selling for (an unscientifically averaged) $230.
    32 GB Touchpads are selling for ~$270.

    OK, you Marketing Geniiís - there are you price points! You wanted to GET INTO the tablet business - THAT should have been your price, courtesy the curbers and junkers on eBay (no offense!). You want to Take iPad on at the same price... what idiots came up with that?!

    You start with an at- or near-cost price... get into the market, build the ecosystem, fund developers, follow-up with a kick-**** tablet 12-18 months later. Maybe you end up with 10% of the market in 2 years... would've been pretty good. Now, you have shred 50% off the value of your shareholders investments, and become a laughing stock. Congrats.

    Problem with "Enterprise Pundits" like Leo is they have spent so much time with their heads in the freakin' stratosphere, listening to all their "analysts", industry sycophants and boot-lickers, that they have ENTIRELY lost touch with reality... not just reality on the street, but with the poor tech guys who actully amake any of this airy-fairy stuff happen! Go back to SAP ERP-dom - we sure as heck never needed you. I would've said "go tto Oracle", but Ellison/Hurd are too smart for that!

    I think these schmucks have forgotten that all this "Stuff" (Enterpise apps, clouds, appliances, cars, etc) has to RUN on SOMETHING... HP was a major contender to BE a major part of that layer, that foundation. Now theey're left holding the ruins of a profitable hardware sales organization in one hand, and grasping at nebulous cloud (sic!) and ERP asipirations with the other.

    /rant

    russ
    Leo wasnt willing to take loss from day one, even thogh he is willing to buy autonomy for 11 times its revenue. Had they spent 10 billion on webOS, Apple would be way behind
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    this is hilarious, I will die laughing..... hahahahahahahahaha Leo is such a ****** bag
    http://a75.org/laughing.gif
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  20. #20  
    why cant I insert giffs here?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions