1.    #1  
    I have an ipaq and do a lot of my task and project updates away from my desk. I was thinking that a treo with keyboard would be best for text entry. What do you think?

thanks
    I own Treo 270 and in my opinion, if you can wait till mid 2003 then you may get better PDA than the Treo with Built-in Bluetooth and SD or CF Memory....
    One of the major problem with treo is the Limitation in the Memory...
    In the next few months we will see the new iPaq 5000 Series PDAs and Palm OS 5 devices...

Finally, it is your decision,,, have a nice time...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I have had a 180g and now have a 270. I like the keyboard, though originally did not htink I would. Coupled with the grafiti download - you cannot beat the 270. Hi speed GPRS is outstanding as well.
    I tried a Treo for a month and sold it. I bought a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition instead, and it suits the way I work far better than did the Treo. I miss the keyboard, but I am far more productive with my new device, and you might be too, coming from an iPaq.
    The backlight on my Treo broke... I sent it in to get fixed. This was the second time this happened. I was so sick of this that I decided to sell my Treo. I got a phone in the meantime (Siemens C55). It wasn't much smaller, writing sms was slower, it had software flaws... Plus now, I would have to get a PDA, which would give me something else to carry. All these factors made me keep my Treo. It's small form factor is a the biggest plus and the keyboard is fantastic for e-mail and sms. I now write quicker than I did with graffiti. The integration of phone and PDA has also made verything so much easier. I now don't even own a computer. I have ICQ, I have e-mail and I can surf the net. The XDA was an option, but it is to big for me since I carry my phone in my pocket. I highly recommend the Treo 270 it's the best convergance option out their, although it has lots of room for improvement.
    I was surprised to find that I'm much faster at entering data with the keyboard than I was with graffitti. I was a pretty decent graffitti writer, but the thumb keyboard is much easier to use than I thought it would be. And of course, with the free RecoEcho download, you can always go back to graffitti if you want to.

I still wouldn't want to write a novel on my Treo, but for portable data entry, it works well for me.
    I've had an IPAQ since summer 2000, and it has lain almost unused in my desk drawer for the last year. To lug the IPAQ along with my Sony erricson t68 about is a pain.
    The Treo for me is ideal- still small enough (just) to fit in my jeans pocket, or a suit jacket. Yet it's ideal for communciation and organising. I considered the xda, but being limited to one network is a pain, and more to the point - as "stuff" magazine pointed out it crashes every day in regular use, whereas my Treo has only crashed when I've loaded too many secondary app's. I've now cut my app's down to exactly what I need ( datebook5, treoalert, handyshopper, quicksheet,) and it only needs the ocassional soft reset.
    The keyboard is fantastic - beats handwriting recognition anytime.
    GPRS makes email retriveal and web browsing easy...
    My Treo locked up regularly. My T-Mobile PPC (with T-Mobile software disabled) needs a soft reset about every third day. It is reliable, fits in my pocket, and is generally all-around-cool.
    I'm surprised to hear that you guys are having to reset your Treo's often. I think I've reset mine once in the month that I've had it. Are you guys using a lot of hacks, etc.?
    I've had both the 180 and now the 300. If you are looking for a device that does everything, then the treo is the way to go. IMHO, the 300 is the best of the bunch and that surprisingly is due to Sprint. My original issues with the Treo 180 was it's phone capabilities. I was a bit apprehensive when I first got the 300. I couldn't be happier. Unlimited data for $10 and $300 (that's what I paid) for a color PDA. I'm a happy camper. Not to mention all of the available palm apps.
    Originally posted by alkandery75
    I own Treo 270 and in my opinion, if you can wait till mid 2003 then you may get better PDA than the Treo with Built-in Bluetooth and SD or CF Memory....
    One of the major problem with treo is the Limitation in the Memory...
    In the next few months we will see the new iPaq 5000 Series PDAs and Palm OS 5 devices...

Finally, it is your decision,,, have a nice time...
    ...Not mentioning the new Ericsson P800 (scheduled availability December 2002) and the long-awaiting Smartphone HP Jornada 928 Pocket PC (already available in some parts of the world).

I would advise you to check this and other smartphone / communicator-dedicated forums and magazines and build your own opinion!
    Buy the machine you like the best now, and don't wait.

There is ALWAYS going to be a better device coming in a few months. Every time I bought a new PDA (I'm on my fourth different model), a "new and improved" device was soon to be available. If you wait a few months now, some people will tell you to wait a few more months for the NEXT greatest thing ready to be released.

Buy now, be happy now, and plan on being envious six months later when the newest stuff is released.
    Originally posted by heberman
    Buy the machine you like the best now, and don't wait.

There is ALWAYS going to be a better device coming in a few months. Every time I bought a new PDA (I'm on my fourth different model), a "new and improved" device was soon to be available. If you wait a few months now, some people will tell you to wait a few more months for the NEXT greatest thing ready to be released.

Buy now, be happy now, and plan on being envious six months later when the newest stuff is released.
    You are right!

But there is a way to keep on your toes:
    What I do is that I always show my new device to friends and colleagues and there is always someone who ask to buy it.
    By selling it (with a good 40 to 50% discount from street price for 4 to 8 months use), I can get the newest device at a reasonable price - all things considered!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    My biggest concern about upgrading my 180g to a 270 is the thumbboard, ive got rather big hands.

Now Handspring Europe got offer that lets you try a 270 for 14 days without any cost. Im thinking about taking this opportunity as it would be great to try it out.

If doing this, would i need to reinstall the Palm Desktop loosing the data or can i just hotsync it using my current installtion?

/Andreas
    Should be just a matter of hot syncing the 270.
    Originally posted by Andreas
    My biggest concern about upgrading my 180g to a 270 is the thumbboard, ive got rather big hands.
    My fingers are pretty big too:
    No problem there!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Nice, i will order that free trial tomorrow then, cheers.