Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    FYI.

    take care,

    Jay

    Posted at 09:16 AM ET, 08/23/2011
    HP Touchpad, HP Pre 3 still in high demand despite being discontinued
    By Hayley Tsukayama

    HP Touchpad, HP Pre 3 still in high demand despite being discontinued - Faster Forward - The Washington Post

    In happier times, Todd Bradley, right, Hewlett Packard Executive Vice President Personal Systems Group, holds an HP TouchPad, as Jon Rubinstein, left, then-Palm Senior Vice President and General Manager, holds a Palm Veer in his right hand and Palm Pre 3 in his left hand. (Anonymous - AP) Customers can’t get enough of the HP TouchPad and HP Pre 3 smartphone, buying up the discounted, discontinued gadgets in the U.S. and in Europe.

    After cutting the TouchPad’s price down to $99, HP also slashed the price of the Pre 3 smartphone, which launched last week in Europe. The Pre 3 is now selling for $75 in Europe, while plans for its U.S. launch have been scrapped, PC Mag reported.

    The demand for the orphaned products has reached new levels of absurdity. Now, on eBay, people are bidding on TouchPad tablets going for around $300 — just $99 less than the last discounted retail price.

    And what of the operating system for these devices? WebOS head Stephen DeWitt told All Things Digital that the platform will live on in the company’s PCs and printers and reiterated that HP is likely looking at some sort of licensing deal for the platform.

    “At the end of the day, webOs is going to be a popular platform on a variety of connected devices,” DeWitt told D’s Ina Fried.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    "The demand for the orphaned products has reached new levels of absurdity. Now, on eBay, people are bidding on TouchPad tablets going for around $300 — just $99 less than the last discounted retail price."

    ^ indicates that the firesale kickstarted mindshare because now that HP said they won't make anymore, people want to get in on the TouchPad love before there is none left. They're NOT just buying them because they're $99 - because they're buying them at $300 as well.

    Ironic that all that was needed to make people jump on webOS was to tell them that there won't be any new devices.
    Also VERY interesting for potential licensing suitors.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/23/2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Psychonaut likes this.
  3. #3  
    Just like "Cartmanland"... It is very interesting when it is not available
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #4  
    Yep, this is a bubble - people are buying them because they are scared that they are missing out on something.

    It's not rocket size, it's was pricey, now it's dirt cheap and people are scared of missing out (of making a profit on ebay).
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Also VERY interesting for potential licensing suitors.
    Not in the slightest, that people will rush to buy a £400 device at £89 tells you nothing about the actual demand for such a device.
  6. #6  
    There was always goig to be demand for it - given the right price, good marketing (so that people actually know it exists and what it's strong points are) and salespeople gettig educated/bribed to actually sell it.

    $99/149 is obviously crazy cheap.
    I bet a large percentage of the devices were picked up by HP and Best Buy employees and opportunistic dealers to re-sell them.
    And now we can see on ebay the market value of these devices. They (TP) are selling consistently at > 300 Euro on ebay.de. And that's without proper warranty and for a comatose/dead platform. People would pay more directly at a retailer while the platfor is alive and kicking.

    So the 399/499 prices HP had before were probably about right.
    It was a mistake to sell the Pre3 so much later than the TP - or to give up before it got released.
    A German online retailer posted that they 8x as many pre-orders than for TPs (that was before the firesale - at earlier announced prices).

    HP should have sold the 16 GB TP at ca 350 - *including* a $50 app catalog credit - so marketing it at effectively $300. Which would given a big boost to
    HP wouldn't have made money on this first generation - but also not lost much/anything.
    TP 2 could then be priced similar to IPad3 (given similar hardware specs and an expanding app catalog).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Not in the slightest, that people will rush to buy a £400 device at £89 tells you nothing about the actual demand for such a device.
    Good job ignoring the fact that they're selling at €350 on ebay
  8. #8  
    retailers employees think that they can make profit off ebay,a month from now some ppl will regret buying multiple touchpads..i'll def not going to buy a touchpad over 100 GBP
  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Good job ignoring the fact that they're selling at €350 on ebay
    That's a bubble that will soon burst - it's like any irrational craze.
  10. #10  
    It's really a shame that HP decided to go down this road. But I guess at least I got a tablet for cheap! lol!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yep, this is a bubble - people are buying them because they are scared that they are missing out on something.

    It's not rocket size, it's was pricey, now it's dirt cheap and people are scared of missing out (of making a profit on ebay).
    No. Not a chance.

    They are buying because of one or more of the following reasons:

    1. The device was unaffordable at higher prices.
    2. The device was, in thier opinion, not worth more money at original prices.
    3. At current low prices, theyfeel that they can sell them on eBay for moderately higher prices, and make a small profit.
    4. They are WebOS consumers and just found out that there won't be any new hardware for a while, thanks to HP, and want the latest and greatest WebOS devices to last them through that period (that would be me, and many I know).

    Your comment above shows a lack of understanding of the economy, and how tough things are for some people.

    While I admit, those who go out and stand on line overnight to buy an iPad and accessories for $600 - $800 and then put it on their credit card for the next year may be irrational and, as you say "scared that they are missing something", but, for this, THIS is just a bargain that most who coudlnt afford it can now participate in.

    Tablet computing was and never will be a "need" for the masses - its a luxury toy for most, its a device designed and intended to incite more consumption, versus a PC or laptop, which is meant to help the user work and create and produce.

    This past week, the masses just got a shot at buying this toy they never would have bought: a tablet device - is it an iPad? No, but, its not far from it, and it has a much better OS on it, to boot.

    Now, of course, there are others who won't fit that mold, but, I'd dare say that most do.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a bubble that will soon burst - it's like any irrational craze.
    Sure.

    Just like your "I'll eat my hat if the firesale comes to the UK" statement.

    Look, it is what it is... just go with it, life will be much less tense for you that way!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  13. #13  
    LOL! Who didn't see this coming. HP Palm huge disappointment.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a bubble that will soon burst - it's like any irrational craze.
    It wouldn't have a chance to burst because all TouchPads will be sold before it can.

    Also, it's not a bubble, it's people paying money for a product with prices being established by supply and demand - aka "free enterprise". Read up on what a bubble actually is. Apple stock is actually much closer to being a true bubble because how much the company is worth isn't really in any sane relation to their revenues and their total profits.

    By the way, a lot of the TouchPad sales on eBay actually start at €1 if you can believe it (kinda stunned me to be honest, brought a tear to my eye - maybe a percent of my faith in humanity regained!) and they're still ALL going for above €300, most of them around €350.
    So much for "there is no demand" and "all of the demand is just because of the €99 price".
    I'd agree with that last statement though: the demand was CREATED by the €99 price and the announcement that this may be your last chance to get webOS, but the demand clearly sustains prices of €350 - which isn't that much lower than what HP asked after their first round of discounts, indicating that HP could've sold out the TouchPads within weeks or months at the 'normal' price but for some reason decided to blow them out within days. Those reasons could either be 1) general insanity and kindergarten-grade business acumen (I won't argue this as hard as I would've just a week ago) or 2) a plan to raise buzz and mindshare, which, if true, worked out really well. There is no reason to raise buzz and mindshare if you don't really intend on keeping the platform alive.
  15. r-nice's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #15  
    People paying more than $99/$149 are fools. I will never understand it.
  16. #16  
    That's a bubble that will soon burst - it's like any irrational craze.
    Ok, you think this way, but there is... how many customers (?)... 2 million maybe, that cannot agree with you. Yes, c'est la vie...

    People paying more than $99/$149 are fools. I will never understand it.
    Look out of the official countries, and you'll undertand why many peoples pay more...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  17. #17  
    Headline should have been this:

    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HP Touchpad, HP Pre 3 still in high demand despite due to being discontinued
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    the demand was CREATED by the €99 price and the announcement that this may be your last chance to get webOS, but the demand clearly sustains prices of €350 - which isn't that much lower than what HP asked after their first round of discounts, indicating that HP could've sold out the TouchPads within weeks or months at the 'normal' price but for some reason decided to blow them out within days. Those reasons could either be 1) general insanity and kindergarten-grade business acumen (I won't argue this as hard as I would've just a week ago) or 2) a plan to raise buzz and mindshare, which, if true, worked out really well. There is no reason to raise buzz and mindshare if you don't really intend on keeping the platform alive.
    demand was created because $500 device is offered for $100. It's not because webOS, its more likely despite webOS.
    Nokia_webOS likes this.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    demand was created because $500 device is offered for $100. It's not because webOS, its more likely despite webOS.
    Man speaks the truth!

    I think that is the reason we aren't seen fire-sale Pre 3's in North America. The device was never priced high to get a "massive" discount. No initial high price, no attention.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's a bubble that will soon burst - it's like any irrational craze.
    As with every bubble, there is always one who calls it. This person is normally ignored/derided by his peers.

    Although having said that, i'm with the crows on this one. But it will likely depreciate with time, just like every other tablet. I do wonder how much value it will have retained in 2 years time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions