Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Had you done your research, you would know that the Palm team was working on many GREAT products - including a slab phone - that got killed by HP just before it was ready to go into production. That caused them to have to start over a lot, and ultimately caused the HUGELY late arrival for these products. That's what happened, nothing else.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    ok, we are all upset about the death of palm. I too am upset about some 20 years of info now dying off. But where do you go from here? Palm software was easy. Some of the third party stuf???? Debebatable! But...where do you go from here? Can the old palm info be crossed into any other phone? If so which? Please reply to my email tacktoday@gmail.com
    They failed because they took to long on their hardware.. EVERYONE loves the OS. But the hardware is crap. Where is the touchscreen phone with no hardware keyboard? The TouchPad is cool though.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I notice everyone is focusing on HP dropping hardware support for WebOS, but there seems to be very little mentioned about HP also pulling out of PCs as well. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes at HP than is being let out into the wild. A manufacturer with the largest market share per brand of PCs doesn't suddenly sell out. I think the guys on the precentral podcast were on to something about mentioning the buyout of Autonomy and Leo's involvement in SAP....

I think a change in direction for HP was planned months ago, and WebOS was a hangover from the Hurd time period. HP had to create some sort of splash with the webOS to get a potential licensee interested. Otherwise the Veer/TouchPad/Pre3 was a lesson in very poor marketing and development.
    I think a change in direction for HP was planned months ago, and WebOS was a hangover from the Hurd time period. HP had to create some sort of splash with the webOS to get a potential licensee interested. Otherwise the Veer/TouchPad/Pre3 was a lesson in very poor marketing and development.
    No releasing a "powerphone" to sell two days before kill him. This is "empty interests"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lavo96 View Post
    Agreed that HP wanted to move in a services direction. However I think they did believe that they wanted to make WebOS work. Otherwise they wouldn't have wasted time with other form factors (7 inch slate, slab phone), time that they really needed to allocate to the Pre3 and Touchpad for a timely and successful launch.

Basically I think they mismanaged the development process and misunderstood the effort that was going to be required, and in the end upper management was not sufficiently interested to sustain that effort.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The original iPad shipped April 3, 2010.

In February 2011, the TouchPad was announced with nearly identical specs, shape, size, and color of the iPad. It lacked the HDMI out and the apps but was close in thickness, weight, and looked like a clone.

If in July 2010, the TouchPad had come out at $399, it could have gotten traction. Copy the specs, beat the price.

In March 2011, Apple shipped the faster, thinner, lighter iPad 2.

But in July 2011, the TouchPad was an original iPad copy without the apps trying to fight the new iPad 2. It was trying to fight the last war, not the new one: old specs at the same price.

See this article for a behind the scenes account.
    This is exactly it and if you are with the Apple crowd what just came out is not good enough they already are looking to the next, Ipad, 2, 3, they are also looking for discounts because they bought the previous

APple has them hook line and sinker every 6 to 8 months

"Lets add a button or a new processor we have sitting around we could of done it a year ago but you have to let these things out one at a time to make Money...............lol"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12