Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 2 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there is a real strategy behind dumping WEBOS hardware?

HP has invested lots of money to just walk away....or maybe they really have walked away?

Any thoughts?
    No- because HP so clearly didn't have a strategy before the dump.

On the other hand, maybe they did say that since they want to sell webOS/Palm possibly seperately, they figured the fire sale would actually be an investment that they would recoup when they sold the former Palm BU.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    HP is too stupid to have a strategy. WebOS, sadly, is going to be their latest victim, along with the Touchpad, which I think had more potential to be a real business tool than the iPad can ever hope to be.
    Plain and simple -- NO. Strategy does not call for dumping and entire line of devices and announcing to the world that they couldn't make it work so they are backing out.

Strategy would be announcing -- "Hey -- we can't believe that we are losing to Android and iOS tablets!! Therefore we are announcing a fire sale on our current webOS tablets at $99 and $149 to get this OS into as many hands as possible. And for those of you worried we will run out -- we'll make more!! And oh, BTW, we have a fabulous phone coming; the Pre 3 that works awesomely with this device and several more phones in the pipeline that will work equally awesomely with this device. Get your hands on webOS NOW and see how easy it is and why we WILL be a dominant player in the mobile OS war!!"

Nope, they said "Pfft, if we can't be the best within two months -- we're gone. See ya."

Sure, they would have had to pay a couple hundred million for this "marketing and advertising", but the end result would have been half a million sales within a couple weeks.

There current dumping of the devices has spawned a whole new challenge of how to get Android loaded onto these devices. Once there are several ROMs out there that can be loaded, I would bet more than half of these dumped devices will have Android on them within months.
  5.    #5  
    "There current dumping of the devices has spawned a whole new challenge of how to get Android loaded onto these devices. Once there are several ROMs out there that can be loaded, I would bet more than half of these dumped devices will have Android on them within months. "

What good will that do if the device breaks how are you going to fix it? All this people buying the Touchpad how are they going to service it when it needs it?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Yeah, of there is strategy. The strategy is moving hp away from hardware and into software/services like IBM. You guys give hp no credit. Apotheker has known from day 1 what he was going to do. They brought him in for a reason. I hate to say it, but WebOS as a mobile platform is likely dead unless hp sells it.
    yes

as long as the strategy was to look foolish and tank stock prices
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    suicide bombers have "A good strategy" not many here would wanna adopt it at a guess.
    Mikey47 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    "There current dumping of the devices has spawned a whole new challenge of how to get Android loaded onto these devices. Once there are several ROMs out there that can be loaded, I would bet more than half of these dumped devices will have Android on them within months. "

What good will that do if the device breaks how are you going to fix it? All this people buying the Touchpad how are they going to service it when it needs it?
    And how are you going to fix it if it breaks with webOS on it? People are looking at this as "throw away" money. So what if it breaks in 6 months or a year and you can't get it replaced...
    The closest thing I can think of is to build market share pending a sale of the entire thing.
    The strategy was:

1. Ready
    2. Fire
    3. Aim
    Maestro1 and geekpeter like this.
    HP's investment in palm is relative to the investment many made in buying a $99 touchpad. They could really care less if they had to dump it after a year. Palms patents are at least still worth something
    If only... From how everything played out, it appears to me that ***** of a CEO has had plans all along to turn HP into another SAP, doesn't have any knowledge nor desire to gracefully get out of the hardware business, doesn't have the desire to support webOS other than giving it lip-service, and had to make the announcement now because it was leaked to Bloomberg.

So, I'd like to see the shareholders give Leo 7 weeks to make his strategy succeed. That would be October 6, 2011. If in 7 weeks he doesn't, then I think it is safe to assume that it would take too much time and money investment to make him an effective CEO and that he should be cancelled.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post
    Yeah, of there is strategy. The strategy is moving hp away from hardware and into software/services like IBM. You guys give hp no credit. Apotheker has known from day 1 what he was going to do. They brought him in for a reason. I hate to say it, but WebOS as a mobile platform is likely dead unless hp sells it.
    This is spot on. It is not about WebOS devices specifically. I has to do with Leo wanting HP to move into a more margin-rich business like software and services. They have also stayed that they are doing the same thing with the consumer PC business.

It's strictly a margin play. It's not personal against WebOS. Collateral damage!
    @Mikey47 That is hilarious, and not because it isn't true -- but because it is exactly what happened.