1.    #1  
    I don't get it...HP's slate continues to be on sale for $800 and has been out longer than the Touchpad, and probably sold far fewer than even the TP prior to the firesale. Yet HP is not trying to fire-sell the HP slate, and will continue to support it. Doesn't make any sense to me, someone explain it. Yes, Slate runs Windows and Windows already has a massive audience, but the tablet itself is not selling and taking up inventory. If HP can endure the HP slate taking up inventory and selling crappily why did it give up on Touchpad so quickly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I don't get it...HP's slate continues to be on sale for $800 and has been out longer than the Touchpad, and probably sold far fewer than even the TP prior to the firesale. Yet HP is not trying to fire-sell the HP slate, and will continue to support it. Doesn't make any sense to me, someone explain it. Yes, Slate runs Windows and Windows already has a massive audience, but the tablet itself is not selling and taking up inventory. If HP can endure the HP slate taking up inventory and selling crappily why did it give up on Touchpad so quickly?
    good point. doesnt make much sense. Maybe it costs too much to support the entire webos ecosystem whereas the slate only took up shelf space. Remember that stuff requires a whole staff.
    Windows OS tablets are popular in the enterprise because they can run any Windows application...including custom-developed business apps and third-party special purpose apps. We have many hundreds (soon to be thousands) of users running one of my team's applications using Windows tablets.

They also run Netflix and MLBtv

Enterprise buyers also don't balk at the price.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    <thread moved>
    The slate, while built like a brick outhouse, is tough to use... almost impossible without the stylus. It runs windows OK, but because the screen is so small and windows is not optimized for it, it become tedious. I did get Ubuntu (mostly) running on it, before I returned it (eval unit).

If they firesale'd the slate for $99 I'd get one just to be complete. Not too bad with Ununtu Unity on it.
    Because it runs Windows, and is a part of the PC division that they are looking to sell off.

They didn't kill Windows hardware production, they killed WebOS hardware production, which they hope to develop and license out to othe rhardware manufacturers.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein