1.    #1  
    Despite the abyssal lack of fortitude displayed by HP - I ask them to do us a favor and make sure to not jinx the sale of webOS hardware development by asking for more than you deserve to get.

Any loss in value in the licensing of webOS hardware is now CLEARLY squarely on their shoulders. Here is why:

1) Buy webOS from a broke Palm (good).

2) Plan to make a number of tablet and smartphone products (good talk)

3) Fail to keep promises to deliver on time (oops)

4) Put out a mostly OK product but missed on an necessary update out of the box (BIG oops)

5) Pricing decisions (initially OK, but slow to adjust - needed to sell low to get traction. Funny how it working now. And before critics pounce... how many MILLIONS of dollars has Google sunk into the Android OS development with no direct profit and nobody criticizes them. It is sometimes the cost of getting a foothold.)

6) Announcement to kill hardware development (dumb , but OK your choice)

7) NO announcement of a hardware partner to pick up development (disastrous)

Your announcement SHOULD have been:

"We feel the TP is a solid start, but we want an even better device and feel that the best way to do that would be to allow a trusted partner to join in the production process. So effective immediately we will discount all Touchpads by 50% and will begin working with ( fill in the blank- Samsung, HTC) on the next generation Touchpad"

It would have made you look decisive and committed, inspiring confidence in consumers and partners alike. Instead you look like the "Keystone Cops" instead, bumbling and doddering fools. More like Steve Urkel and less like Steve Jobs.

Funny, you have probably sold more devices this weekend than you have in the entire year previously. Please do the community a favor and follow through. Sell off to a committed partner and don't try to now cash in on the webOS mania sweeping the tech world.

Yes, a good partner will probably take the brand and move it to the heights you may have initially envisioned, and all of you will be embarrassed... and rightfully so.

But perhaps, someday, we will all owe you a debt of gratitude for what started out as an incredible botch.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Number 3 is wrong, the webOS devices that did ship pretty much shipped when HP said they would ship.

Apart from that, splendid post, especially #7. So true.
    If I wasn't on the mobile forums I'd thank you.
  3.    #3  
    Dear HP,

Now with the abysmal news about the bizarre organizational breakup of the webOS team, I don't know what else to say. You bumble into a potential winning situation and you manage to blow even this opportunity.

Cue Darth Vader: "HP, You have failed me for the last time..."

Someone in another post referenced the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark, with in this case webOS being wheeled into a big warehouse to placed in the place where the Voodoo hardware and the soon Compaq computers will be. It was a great reference, and good luck with your webOS powered printers I will NOT be buying one.

Seriously guys, as Derek so eloquently stated - do you have any brains or .....?" I'm pretty sure that unless there is some unexpected miracle, you have with this last act pretty much single-handedly killed my choice in mobile OS.

If that miracle comes, please be sure to not notice it... that way you can't manage to mangle that too.

C
    I don't know if you can blame them for #7. Dieter has an article on Thisismynext where he all but says both HTC and Samsung wanted nothing to do with webOS. Amazon, the longshot in the "please license webOS" sweepstakes, is putting their brand behind Android. I'm not sure what more HP could do.
    So true... I'm sure if HP could sell webOS at this point, they would. We knew they were looking for partners even before the TP was released.

The fact it's not even going with PSG and is instead vanishing into the inner bowels of HP proper (a company that is purging all it's consumer DNA) means that it's likely to simply disappear from public view.

They may license or sell patents but it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in the software itself.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't know if you can blame them for #7. Dieter has an article on Thisismynext where he all but says both HTC and Samsung wanted nothing to do with webOS. Amazon, the longshot in the "please license webOS" sweepstakes, is putting their brand behind Android. I'm not sure what more HP could do.
    This is true, but if you spend 1 billion on anything, and then want to get out of it, it's kind of your responsibility to make it presentable to a potential suitor.

Given how they played their assets, (long delays, releasing 'middle of the road' products at premium pricing, not responding in a timely way to changing market conditions) I wouldn't want to buy it either.

Especially since they probably are asking for too much money, or a deal with too many strings attached.

If you've blown the head gasket on the engine, you can't get top dollar on the car. Even with all of the problems Palm left behind, most in the technosphere were willing to at least give HP a chance. The stories of the many missed hardware deadlines, combined with all the we from the outside can see, is how they 'trashed' the car.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Number 3 is wrong, the webOS devices that did ship pretty much shipped when HP said they would ship.

Apart from that, splendid post, especially #7. So true.
    If I wasn't on the mobile forums I'd thank you.
    What happened to announce and ship in 30 days?
  8.    #8  
    I was hoping this could be a dead thread until:

Rumor: HP Wants Cheap WebOS License in Any Palm Deal | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Come on guys (or gals)! The coffin can't hold any more nails. Get a deal done.

From post #6 above:
    ...Especially since they probably are asking for too much money, or a deal with too many strings attached.

C