Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 4 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    HPs stock is back up ~6% as we speak. Wonder why?
    It is still significantly down as is the stock market.
    Fluctuations. Seriously, I doubt that HP selling off TouchPads at a loss is what caused their stock to go back up.

When HP made the announcements, investors saw the following things:
    * HP, biggest manufacturer of PCs in the world, no longer wants to make PCs
    * HP bought a software platform with big promises and (seemingly) axed it within months, pointing to bad leadership
    ...and they jumped off.

Now, however, HP stock is low and other investors are thinking:
    * HP gets out of the low-profit consumer segment and focuses on the high-profit enterprise segment
    * HP can focus on webOS software and let other companies who are better at hardware make the hardware
    ...and are jumping on.
    retroblu and FenrirWolf like this.
    This is typical.. the day after a big sell-off on a stock, bargain hunters typically come out the next day. The initial reaction to big news is generally a knee-jerk over-reaction and many investors who take a longer-term view, see it as a chance to pick up stock at a big discount.
    Dead cat bounce.

Dead Cat Bounce Definition
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    5% recovery after a 25% decline isn't what i'd call a recovery... Although congress probably would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    5% recovery after a 25% decline isn't what i'd call a recovery... Although congress probably would.
    "If con is the opposite of pro, is congress the opposite of progress or did that just blow your f****ng mind?" (Jon Stewart)
    In the latest quarter Hewlett-Packard Co. bought back $4.6 billion worth of shares, thus keeping their stock from going completely down the toilet.

Stock buybacks rise for 8th consecutive quarter - Yahoo! Finance
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~