Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

There may end up being a bidding war for webOS and a life after HP....the marriage of Google - Moto is making Samsung very nervous.

take care,

Jay

Samsung Considers HP JV, As Concern Mounts Over Android
    By David Richards | Monday | 22/08/2011

Samsung Considers HP JV, As Concern Mounts Over Android - Smarthouse

Samsung is reconsidering Android, with some observers claiming that the company is currently evaluating other options including the strength of their Bada OS offering and the possibility of bidding for HPs PC and Palm businesses.
    On Friday Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee convened a meeting of top executives to discuss the recent $12.5 Billion dollar acquisition of Motorola Mobility by Google.

Privately senior Samsung executives have said that they are concerned about the Google Motorola deal as the Company has invested heavily in Android across both their Smartphones and Tablet offerings.

Currently running second to Apple in the Smartphone market Samsung management are concerned that they are "exposed" and that their mobile future is in the hands of Google which observers say is a risk.

Fortune Magazine said that the Google-Motorola deal makes Google a competitor to Samsung, rather than the partner that it once was.

They went on to say that Google is the market leader in the smartphone operating system market with Samsung as the largest player in the Android ecosystem. With the help of Android software, Google mainly makes money through mobile advertising revenues as Google is the default search engine on Android smartphones.

As search advertising accounts for nearly 70% of our $596 price estimate for Google stock, any change in Google's market share expectations could have adverse implications to its stock value as can be seen from the above chart. Our price estimate for Google stock is about 10% above market price.

Lee realises that Samsung is not controlling its own destiny via their relationship with Google, which is why he has ordered wireless chief Shin Jong-kyun to diversify the company's portfolio of wireless devices. He has also ordered the immediate expansion of the Companies Bada platform South Korean daily Dong-a Ilbo.

ChannelNews has also been told that the company is currently evaluating the concept of a joint venture with Hewlett Packard, as they consider taking over the company's PC business and the WebOS business.

Currently Samsung is trying to grow their PC business worldwide and a joint relationship with HP, similar to what Lenovo has with IBM, could work well for both companies observers claim.

Another option for Samsung is to accelerate the marketing of the Microsoft Windows Phone and Microsoft's new Mango OS. The move if initiated could be a blow to Nokia who are banking on a lack of interest in the Microsoft offering by big brands to revitalise their Smartphone business.

Financial analyst firm Trefis said last week "We believe that the changing dynamics in the smartphone industry is forcing Samsung to develop and innovate on its own Bada operating system".

Analysts claim that changes in support for the Google OS could result in less Android devices hitting the market in the wake of the Google Motorola deal, especially if Samsung's position is followed by other Android Smartphone manufacturers.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Actually, the Google-Motorola merger may be the best chance for life that WebOS has...

If the merger causes Samsung, a huge partner with Android, to back out of Android and buy out WebOS as their "OS" then it could shake things up.

You'd establish a situation where you'd have five main OS's each with a major single hardware entity. Droid with Motorola, iOS with Apple, WP7 with Nokia, Blackberry with RIM, and Samsung with WebOS. Kind of leaves HTC in a weird spot though.

Its a long shot. Not one i'd bank on or even expect, but its actually a better chance for success should it happen than the HP purchase and trying to compete with Apple.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, the Google-Motorola merger may be the best chance for life that WebOS has...

If the merger causes Samsung, a huge partner with Android, to back out of Android and buy out WebOS as their "OS" then it could shake things up.

You'd establish a situation where you'd have five main OS's each with a major single hardware entity. Droid with Motorola, iOS with Apple, WP7 with Nokia, Blackberry with RIM, and Samsung with WebOS. Kind of leaves HTC in a weird spot though.

Its a long shot. Not one i'd bank on or even expect, but its actually a better chance for success should it happen than the HP purchase and trying to compete with Apple.
    Hi all,

I'm sure that Samsung & HTC are very, very concerned over Google/Moto....

Also keep in mind that Google/Moto merger is going to take time...there are supposed to be a number or very long protracted investigations by the government for anti-competitiveness...from what I read, the merger may take over a year to happen....

That gives Samsung and/or HTC to hit the ground running...to decide if they want to stay only with Android, got with both Android and webOS or go with webOS alone....

I can't imagine that either HTC or Samsung is very happy over the prospects of not just competing against other firms that use the Google platform, but now a hardware firm owned by Google must be making them very jumpy!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

They have Beats! We all know how much Dr. Dre helped webOS.
    Rnp and ilovedessert like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Also keep in mind that Google/Moto merger is going to take time...there are supposed to be a number or very long protracted investigations by the government for anti-competitiveness...from what I read, the merger may take over a year to happen....

That gives Samsung and/or HTC to hit the ground running...to decide if they want to stay only with Android, got with both Android and webOS or go with webOS alone....

I can't imagine that either HTC or Samsung is very happy over the prospects of not just competing against other firms that use the Google platform, but now a hardware firm owned by Google must be making them very jumpy!

Take care,

Jay
    All this says to me is that its going to be a loooooong time before I see a webOS phone on sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Take care,

Jay
    taking them time...... thats handy as its just what webOS needs to get some quality apps and more features out there to keep both potential buyers and home/business users happy.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    if HP do want to dump their hot potatoe they fumbled onto a new customer then they really shoudl start firing out their remainder of TPads/Pre3's, their useless to them anyways and it would butter up a potential buyer if some webOS devices were "out there" to spread the webOS word so to speak.

Their already at a loss, might as well pave the way if someone like samsung are interested, might as well sweeten the deal.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Hell no for webos....

Financial analyst firm Trefis said last week "We believe that the changing dynamics in the smartphone industry is forcing Samsung to develop and innovate on its own Bada operating system".

Bada is a huge leap backwords and is coded in C++
    I see HTC spinning off sense if it has to. Maybe teaming up with Amazon.
    Samsung might do Webos but even if they did they won't be leaving Android any time soon, that would be a far off backup plan.

I see more windows phone 7 makers.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Hell no for webos....

I am very skeptical about yet another mobile platform. It is not how well it is coded but whether it will provide anything new to the end users and of they can attract enough developers to add new apps. WebOS did not fail because it was badly designed. The problem with WebOS will be there for any new OS.

Sent from mobile
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I recall hearing that hp and samsung were in talks month ago about licensing webos. I know the touchpad did not have great sales but the instant discount to $99 is obviously some king of plan here. I have never seen anything discounted like this. Even when companies are shutting down you just dont see this. I think with google purchasing motorola the deal with samsung suddenly came through. Samsung does not want to compete with hp so hp is blowing the touchpads out as fast as they can and also ensuring sammy and webos get a good start. You cant say that 2 million touchpad users wont want a samsung webos phone to go with it now. Its obvious where this is going. HP didnt want to make hardware. They said it months ago and said they were in talks with sammy + HTC. They mustve got a deal already.

Samsung Might License the webOS
    ilovedessert likes this.
    This article is only regurgitating the articles from the past week and trying to claim it to be news.
    Thanks Jay.

This is my post from last night (you really need to click the link inside and read it, CAREFULLY):

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3082950

And, I suggested that the interest by Samsung MONTHS ago wasnt for licensing, but, rather, a joint venture - a partnership, after reading this article on Bloomberg back in June:

HP in Discussions to License WebOS Software, CEO Apotheker Says - Bloomberg
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

ilovedessert likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Thanks Jay.

This is my post from last night (you really need to click the link inside and read it, CAREFULLY):

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3082950

And, I suggested that the interest by Samsung MONTHS ago wasnt for licensing, but, rather, a joint venture - a partnership, after reading this article on Bloomberg back in June:

HP in Discussions to License WebOS Software, CEO Apotheker Says - Bloomberg
    Dear LCGUY,

as always you hit the nail on the head...thanks!

Take care,

Jay
    webOS on Samsung hardware? Meh.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    webOS on Samsung hardware?
    Yes!! You are great!! Give a excellent idea!!

Can you imagine the Galaxy SW3 - Super Amoled Plus with WebOS?

Meeee waaaannntsss... http://i.imgur.com/VEmxo.gif

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Hell no for webos....

If I actually remember correctly, Bada's based off Symbian, or at least has some ties with it. It was intended to be the replacement for TouchWiz.

But note to Samsung: whatever you do to a webOS phone, make sure there's a keyboard to go with it.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If I actually remember correctly, Bada's based off Symbian, or at least has some ties with it. It was intended to be the replacement for TouchWiz.

But note to Samsung: whatever you do to a webOS phone, make sure there's a keyboard to go with it.
    Hi all,

I agree about a keyboard...I'm not looking at slap smartphones at all!

take care,

jay
    I has been posted in other threads and it makes sense that HP's fire sale of TouchPads and canceling of future smartphone launches might be part of a webOS licensing ageement being negotiated with a major mobile tech manufacturer.
    The real kicker, and what upsets me the most, is that what HP has actually laid out is not a bad idea. However, Apotheker announced it in the most ignorant and incompetent way he possibly could and, frankly, has really hurt the chances of making this work.

Hardware is basically commoditized now. It is possible to make money producing a commodity, farmers do it all the time. The basic model is a high fixed cost/low marginal cost business which produces LOTS of volume. So, it is in Samsung's interest to produce lots and lots of devices which are basically variations on a theme in terms of hardware (think mass customization type operations: 2-3 choices in terms of screen size, 4 choices in terms of keyboard, etc. etc.).

HP basically had two choices in terms of strategic direction and its hardware divisions. I think Hurd was heading down one path and Apotheker is taking another. Hurd was probably more looking to expand hardware and build up volume even more. The synergies you can generate being a true "1 stop shop" for IT might be worth the investment. The hardware itself might be low margin, but the ability to sell a lot of PC's, some higher margin servers and lots of services to companies might make having a ridiculously huge hardware division worthwhile.

Still, Apotheker's vision has some merit (the execution is still ridiculously amateurish!), jettisoning the lower margin division and likely signing a strategic alliance with a major hardware manufacturer achieves much of the same benefit as Hurd's strategy without the additional investment. However, there is something to be said for the perception you get being the biggest IT player in the room and the fact is that HP already had an awful lot of scale in terms of hardware.

In closing, my perfect world from now, considering the results of the firesale, and Apotheker's vision would be for Samsung to sign an agreement with HP and then have an announcement around Halloween for a new webOS tablet and entry level phone, or two, for sale around Thanksgiving. The tablet should be priced around $199 - $250 and the phones ideally would be free with 2 year contract, but really must be $99 or less. If you're going to gain a foothold in the market, it would be with volume. These wouldn't be higher end devices, but rather solid entry level devices making the most of what has already been done by both Samsung and HP. Next year they could come out with a high end phone that is a true product of the partnership.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    ksom likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast