1.    #1  
    This is an very interesting article I thought I would post here:

Mobile-Devices Market Awaits Patent Decisions - WSJ.com

Meanwhile, action also has been brewing in a closely watched case filed in federal court in Tyler, Texas. The patent holding company Acacia Research Corp. has accused an array of smartphone makers, including Apple, of patent infringement.

Several defendants, including Motorola, Nokia Corp. and Research in Motion Ltd. have recently agreed to settle the charges. Now, according to court filings, Apple, LG Electronics Inc. and AT&T Mobility Inc. have asked a federal judge to stay the proceedings while they pursue settlement negotiations.

Paul Ryan, Acacia's chief executive, declined to comment on those talks. But he did discuss patents that figure in the litigation—some of which could have a bearing on developments in the wake of H-P's surprise announcements last week.

H-P said it will explore a spinoff of its personal-computer business and discontinue operations that sell mobile devices based on an operating system called webOS. But the Silicon Valley giant also suggested it will still try to exploit the software.

"It had great reception in the market; people like it, people think it's great," said Leo Apotheker, H-P's chief executive, during an interview Thursday. "We're looking at alternatives to drive webOS software forward," he added.

Such comments prompted speculation that H-P might seek to sell patents associated with webOS, whose technology stems from its 2010 acquisition of Palm Inc. for $1.8 billion.

But Mr. Ryan said Acacia holds rights to patents covering many Palm software inventions that are "foundational" to the mobile market.

Palm, a hand-held computing pioneer, broke off a software unit called PalmSource Inc., which was acquired for $324 million in 2005 by Japan's Access Co. and has a partnership with Acacia.

As far as the former Palm patents are concerned, "we basically control the software, and H-P controls the hardware," Mr. Ryan said during an interview Friday.

H-P in June broached the idea of marketing the software for use in products such as appliances and cars. Mr. Ryan said his company's reading of contracts associated with the original split of PalmSource from Palm would suggest that H-P would need a license from Acacia to pursue those options.

An H-P spokeswoman declined to comment.

Microsoft last October forged a deal with Acacia and Access to license 74 patents, including patents covering Palm's software inventions. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

Read more: Mobile-Devices Market Awaits Patent Decisions - WSJ.com
    So let me get this straight... The original Palm owned a number of 'foundational' patents that encompass the whole mobile phone industry today as it was a pioneer in the PDA industry a decade ago. Palm (under the then CEO Todd Bradley who now is VP of HP’s Personal Systems Group) decided stupidly to spinoff its software platform and patents to Palmsource. Palmsource gets bought by Japanese company called Access Limited. Access partners with patent troll company called Acacia and then shakes down whole mobile phone industry including HP which bought Palm?!!

Revenge of Palmsource indeed....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    but Palm has an unlimited license to all the patents that went to palm source and access.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    but Palm has an unlimited license to all the patents that went to palm source and access.

Palm bought an unlimited license to use the "PalmOS" or Garnet OS. That is why for example it was able to bundle the GarnetOS rom on the Pre so MotionApps could develop Classic. As far as I understand, the license covered the OS, not all the patents associated with it. Of course that is what the courts and lawsuits are for....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    interesting...
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    This is an article talking about Microsoft licensing said patents.

Microsoft licenses Palm tech from patent troll Acacia