Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By orkavic
  • 2 Post By wynand32
  • 1 Post By TechFan#WN
  1.    #1  
    HP has officially earned my respect. I am convinced that they have had the events of the past week carefully planned for the past 6 months. The firesale was a key component to exacting revenge on apple for releasing the iPad 2 a day after think beyond. I am eagerly awaiting the grand finale of all of this where HP comes out and announces an entire new line of great webOS products for amazing prices.

ps. I got my hands on a $99 touchpad and I have no idea what the original reviewers were talking about because this thing is awesome!
    sorli and jetsetter883 like this.
    You're joking, right? I mean, I'm sure you are, but I feel the need to ask...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    turdsamich and GreenHex like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkavic View Post
    HP has officially earned my respect. I am convinced that they have had the events of the past week carefully planned for the past 6 months. The firesale was a key component to exacting revenge on apple for releasing the iPad 2 a day after think beyond. I am eagerly awaiting the grand finale of all of this where HP comes out and announces an entire new line of great webOS products for amazing prices.
    Man, that's some powerful Kool-Aid you're drinking there!
    turdsamich likes this.
    The firesale was a key component to exacting revenge on apple for releasing the iPad 2 a day after think beyond.
    Think Beyond was Feb 9th 2011. iPad 2 was announced on Mar 2nd 2011 and release Mar 11th 2011.

ps. I got my hands on a $99 touchpad and I have no idea what the original reviewers were talking about because this thing is awesome!
    I agree with you regarding HP "bluffing" with this firesale, though I don't think that HP was bluffing on the hardware front. They want out of the hardware game. However, the "panic" set in with the announcement, followed suit by the firesale. I agree though; HP is bluffing with this "panic" model. It's gotten people talking about WebOS for the first time since HP bought Palm. Even Think Beyond didn't do that. I saw a news story about the Touchpads today; can't remember the last time I saw a tech news story about anything other than an iPhone or iPad.

Very smart move by HP, but they are definitely done with hardware. WebOS will be licensed and will begin to thrive.
    Oh yes they sure did. And they even stole a lot of other companies thunders too.

For making the stupidest PRPRPR $blunder$ $ever$, $tanking$ $their$ $share$ $price$.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    I don't think it was a planned thing. Today I saw a new commercial for the Touchpad with Manny Pacquiao that had the price at 399.
    id iamgine if the CEO's or Windows and Apple stood up on stage and announced their giving up the COmputer world and dumping all products the effect woudl be similar, not a brillient plan, just stupid and thick as mince.
  9. AZ8
    Wiki sums it up:

A fire sale is the sale of goods at extremely discounted prices, typically when the seller faces bankruptcy or other impending distress. The term may originally have been based on the sale of goods at a heavy discount due to fire damage. A fire sale may or may not be a closeout, the final sale of goods to zero inventory.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeNM84 View Post
    I don't think it was a planned thing. Today I saw a new commercial for the Touchpad with Manny Pacquiao that had the price at 399.
    Yeah, I've seen that one several times since the announcement, and the mid-game recap on NESN (Boston Redsox TV) continues to be brought to me by the touchpad!
    I am eagerly awaiting the grand finale of all of this where HP comes out and announces an entire new line of great webOS products for amazing prices.
    HP would be in monster trouble for announcing false news that negatively affected their stock price. These conspiracy theories make me laugh

If this were really them trying to "steal thunder" it would have been done a LOT more strategically. Polish off a few of the lingering webOS issues such as QuickOffice doc editing, announce the EOL of their hardware lines and fire sale at the time Apple is announcing their new iPhone, then announce their new webOS licensee partners with hardware at the ready for release just before the iPhone's release date.
    The pundants need to get a grip, seriously.. any form of optimism and you guys are all over it.

Honestly, the OP is right.. for a few days, THE hot item is a TP. They will probably wind up with a sales figure of over 500,000 units for the weekend.

I'ld like to know what the iPad 1 sales were for this weekend, specifically - that would be interesting to see, wouldn't it???

Yeah, yeah, I know, the low price is what did it. Sure. I agree.

Still, in the end, there will be that many more new users into the WebOS ecosystem, which still has, hands down, the best mobile OS available today, and NOT iOS, Android, WP7, or RIM.

Maybe its the silver lining of an already too dark cloud, or, perhaps, something more??:

Insiders say there is one company looking at the HP PC line | SemiAccurate
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The pundants need to get a grip, seriously.. any form of optimism and you guys are all over it.

Honestly, the OP is right.. for a few days, THE hot item is a TP. They will probably wind up with a sales figure of over 500,000 units for the weekend.

I'ld like to know what the iPad 1 sales were for this weekend, specifically - that would be interesting to see, wouldn't it???

Yeah, yeah, I know, the low price is what did it. Sure. I agree.

Still, in the end, there will be that many more new users into the WebOS ecosystem, which still has, hands down, the best mobile OS available today, and NOT iOS, Android, WP7, or RIM.

Maybe its the silver lining of an already too dark cloud, or, perhaps, something more??:

Insiders say there is one company looking at the HP PC line | SemiAccurate
    yet even with those extra sales and user boost we still dont have the majorly important apps we needed a month and a half ago.

we need rdp/vnc/working citrix/vpn's/office packages (basic or advanced, doesnt matter) etc etc

instead we get 90% mobile phone apps, apps on how to lose weight, a billion news apps for seperate newspapers no1 has heard of because their not country filtered, cookery recepies, endless angry birds and tilestorm versions from mobile up to touchpad in normal/hd/xhd/supa-xhd+ultra versions, and in the world of reality isnt there one to inform you how many cups of coffee it would take to kill you (tho that is q funny).

lots starting to roll in, currently none of which is stuff which people needed after launch, im sure they will (maybe?) arrive 1 day, possibly soon(tm) but the new userbase arrivals we have will just shout out the same as we have before long.

How long will the new people wait? it was afterall for many just a cheap device they bought they originally didnt even think of buying, what they pickup they can easily put back down esp when it cost them peanuts.

There has to be apps to make the new userbase stick with you, atm we have nothing i could call a "flagship" or "showoff" app, we dont even have a Armageddon Squadron II demo the HP boffins kept showing off in the endles youtube vids you can watch pre-launch.

atm my apps i like to use/showoff/cant live without is.

useful Stuff

Preware/Custom Firmwares/Patches
    LCARS clock.
    Ubuntu Chroot
    Advanced Browser and Glimpse
    Kalem Media Player
    webOS News
    Box
    Neato!
    Internet Radio HD Pro (Currently borked/stuck in searches/no worky, cant listen to slay radio or digitally imported now... booo)
    Spaz HD Beta

Entertainment

Angry Birds
    Aftermath XHD
    Robotek HD
    Rednecks vs Aliens (stretched pre game)
    International Snooker (reminds me of the A500's jimmy whites whirlwind snooker)
    Galcon Fusion
    ScummVM port
    Sparkle HD

Ive got/bought heaps more but use them (currently) nowhere near as often as the above.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/21/2011 at 08:10 PM.