Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes
    I don't think HP will let go of WEBOS. They may have lost big on these tablets but now they have an opportunity to turn things around with over a millions users. Why would they waste such huge benefits from the crisis?

I think there is lots of potential here, they now have the attention of millions of users and it cost them 0$ for the publicity!
    Quote Originally Posted by twiddler View Post
    I think there is lots of potential here, they now have the attention of millions of users and it cost them 0$ for the publicity!
    There are reports they lost $400 million in the firesale. They are also intending to write off $1 billion in Q4.

I would venture to say, it cost them an arm and a leg.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twiddler View Post
    I don't think HP will let go of WEBOS. They may have lost big on these tablets but now they have an opportunity to turn things around with over a millions users. Why would they waste such huge benefits from the crisis?

They aren't letting go of webos because nobody wants it. Just because HP offers webos for licensing, doesn't mean that there will be takers.

They are losing a couple of BILLION dollars on this webos. If HP can charge $10 on webos licensing per unit, they would need 200 million handsets/tablets --- Apple doesn't even have 200 million iphones/ipads --- just to break even.
    I just hate to see Webos go away. It is way to good of an operating system to go belly up. I also feel that the new found user base will be looked at by developers and I also thought too that HP may retract its decision not realizing what kind of impact the fires sales were going to have. They stated the next time around they are producing 200,000 more units that will be available as one last run in October but are going to structure it so it is sold as 1 per customer. I thought "why would they do that. what would they care if bargain snatches bought them all up and resold them so long as they get their liquidation sale?" and then it hit me.....user base. They seem to be trying to create a larger user base of actually community users and not resellers. Now for what reason I'm not sure. Could be made so that selling Webos is more attractive...could be that they want deeper app sells to collect as much as possible on the app purchase....or....could be they were trying to create the large userbase all along and are going to retract their decision. Either way the next couple of months will be interesting.
    Last edited by Xenoes; 09/23/2011 at 02:35 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123