Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
  1.    #1  
    Maybe I'm the only one that sees it this way, but I think selling the TP at $99 could be a boon for WebOS. Now with the device going into the hands of thousands of people who would otherwise not even considered it, the demand for apps and development should go up.

HP said they were still going to work on WebOS as a software... now with alot of people finding that this is actually a great mobile OS, will it make WebOS look more lucrative to license?
    sooby77 and dabombcra like this.
    Yes.

At this price, WebOS users will double or triple in quantity, and once they are in the ecosystem, I speculate most will not want to leave.. you know how it is.. once you use it, there's no going back.

Developers will definitely see the potential for sales there, too.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

fxspec06 likes this.
    no its the choking death scream of a CEO that ****ed up bigtime and is trying to claw back at least some paltry $$ instead of nothing.

no point stimulating the sales when they have chopped devs off at the knees.
    i doubt it, but i could be wrong.

i dont think 100,000 units will spark the webos revolution. most of the people who get them will never experience the power of webos because theyll never get preware, OC it, get patches, get rid of the logging...etc

the hype machine will exist till they announce the ipad3
    Thank god that some good is coming out of this royal screw up. It looks like HP did by mistake what palm and hp could not do while trying
    we will have to wait and see

too much going on right now
    lets let things settle. people will now use webos.. will it drive demand? well we don't know. We need someone to manufacture device for webOS.

If Samsung was smart, they would purchase webOS and probably the entire PSG
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    no its the choking death scream of a CEO that ****ed up bigtime and is trying to claw back at least some paltry $$ instead of nothing.

no point stimulating the sales when they have chopped devs off at the knees.
    How did they chop the devs off at the knees? Will the TPads self-destruct at some random point in the future?? I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

HP actually HELPED devs by handing them 100's of thousands of new users.
    I think that this is the beginning of the end to be honest. I hope that I get proved wrong but my gut tells me otherwise. For WebOS to succeed it will need more than HP selling off their remaining stock, it will require new hardware and right now there has been no news about anyone else stepping up to the plate. WebOS is a great OS and I really thought that HP was going to give it their best chance of being successful. Sadly that didn't happen
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    How did they chop the devs off at the knees? Will the TPads self-destruct at some random point in the future?? I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

i would be shocked to find out they sold 100s of thousands. probably closer to 100,000 max (and im talking b&m stores included).

people on sd said that hp customer support told them they had 40,000 units in stock that were sold. i wouldn't be surprised if HP dumps the units they are receiving back from costco/ best buy/ etc...save more money from tax relief to dump.

This is how I see things.

But I'm bias because I have had a long history of having hope and optimism.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

cobrakon likes this.
    if HP did this in the first place they would've saved face, flooded the market with webOS gain tons of new users, acquire new partnership with software companies adding to the app catalog, gain positive outlook, trust, and feel about webOS, then make the announcement that hardware support was gonna be shifted to another company, buy autonomy to show software would be supported, and everyone would've been ok.

they had money to sacrifice, the result would be the same initial loss with first wave of webOS, but paved the way for future revenue and a clear path on the direction of webOS.

Now current events seem shady leaving many with a bad taste in their mouth.
    the problem was bigger than just the touchpad honestly.

none of the us carriers except at&t wanted to carry the pre3...the flagship smartphone. hell, barely any euro carriers wanted to carry it. the veer was a cute device but compared to other devices was a piece of junk. hp burned their bridges a long time ago.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    How compassionate of HP, after publicly executing Palm/webOS they give it a decent funeral: cremation by firesale.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo-filter View Post
    They are completely discontinuing all their webOS products. Once these are gone, that's all. I'm sure devs have completely abandoned it.

This is the death knell. The short term spike in sales is like a star going Super Nova. It's over. Fine. No future.
    Read the roudtable discussion on the front page of PC - most are developers.

I'd say from thier comments, you are 100% wrong, and if all of these new users are asking for Angry Birds, Solitaire, music apps and Document editing, they are certainly far enough along to provide it to them and maybe, just maybe, be in at the reset of WebOS as it rises to a new level in the mobile OS world.

Maybe.

I will say this: I (NOT a "pad" person at all.. no need, but for a toy, at the right price, sure!)just bought three 32 G TP's from hp.com at the $149 price each. My wife plans on getting angry birds and a few specific apps at the onset.

And, that's just my little corner of the TP world; apps that were under development will likley be completed, seeing this huge rise in the user-base - that's just common business sense.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

RoverNole likes this.
    Here's hoping this liquidation was meant to be a deal with a hardware partner so they wouldn't have have competing stock with the TouchPad still being on the market under cutting them because it's been discontinued.
    I can't see why any commercial developer would sink much into WebOS when the market is going to be limited to what's already out there, which actually isn't that large. Positive spin from businesses means nothing. They could be getting ready to end WebOS developement for all we know. HP was keeping things positive right until the axe fell. Unless there is some super secret plan for others to start making WebOS hardware, I think I'm right.

Edit: After reading that story, I have to wonder if we read the same thing. Most devs are putting WebOS stuff on hold. Nearly all sound pretty pessimistic. The only hope seems to be that another big company like Samsung decides to take over, but that seems pretty unlikely after the disaster that WebOS was for HP.

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Read the roudtable discussion on the front page of PC - most are developers.

I'd say from thier comments, you are 100% wrong, and if all of these new users are asking for Angry Birds, Solitaire, music apps and Document editing, they are certainly far enough along to provide it to them and maybe, just maybe, be in at the reset of WebOS as it rises to a new level in the mobile OS world.

Maybe.

I will say this: I (NOT a "pad" person at all.. no need, but for a toy, at the right price, sure!)just bought three 32 G TP's from hp.com at the $149 price each. My wife plans on getting angry birds and a few specific apps at the onset.

And, that's just my little corner of the TP world; apps that were under development will likley be completed, seeing this huge rise in the user-base - that's just common business sense.

Last edited by mojo-filter; 08/20/2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I know a lot of people are reporting back that they bought their first TouchPad today but I think the majority of TouchPads went to current owners or ebay resellers.

I know if I got the TouchPads I wanted today they would maybe get patches for themes and that's it. Picture frames, recipe books, and clocks really don't need much patching.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    well I'm an old Palm user and reluctantly switched from a Treo 680 to an iPhone & was dying to get back to Palm/WebOS when I first heard of the Pre3. Basically the more end users using and enjoying WebOS the better period!

WebOS is well respected by the tech savy worldwide and with this great sale now many newbies will be exposed to it and hopefully fall in love with it like many of use here did :-)

That's not really a good metaphor though. I mean, nobody writes software for Windows 2000, they write it for Windows 7 or Server 2008. It just happens to be that that still runs on 2000 with no effort by the developer.

Likewise, some developers will stick around, but the already small pool is going to dwindle further while the devs work on current operating systems like iOS, Android, and WP7. Unlike your Windows 2000 example, webOS is not directly compatible with apps written for these other current operating systems, so most aren't going to do the work to make the apps run on the Touchpad.

As for handing them so many new users, that's great. But how many $99 Touchpad purchasers are going to be racking up huge bills in apps? MAYBE ad-supported apps will be able to do okay, but I just don't see someone who gets a Touchpad only because it's that cheap as being someone who will buy a lot of apps.
    ScubaKitty and mojo-filter like this.
    In order for this platform to succeed, it needs hockey stick growth. Once this fire sale ends, that is it for the foreseeable future.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast