Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77
Like Tree37Likes
  1. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Android can do it well if you're only on Google, WP7 can do it well if you're on Facebook or Live, and Apple doesn't try to do it.
    On my Photon, I have the following sources fully linked in my Contacts: Google, Yahoo!, Outlook/Exchange, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Skype.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    On my Photon, I have the following sources fully linked in my Contacts: Google, Yahoo!, Outlook/Exchange, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Skype.
    That's only with MotoBlur I thought. I've heard bad things about that. Anyway, that's off topic, just stuff I'll have to further research when my frankenPre2 can't hold it together anymore (hoping to at least wait until I can compare Ice Cream Sandwich and Mango phones).
  3. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Which doesn't help when I've got people on Gtalk, AIM, Yahoo IM and Skype
    Oh, and there are messaging apps that support all of the protocols. Funny thing is, messaging on webOS was always worthless to me because MSN/Live Messenger was never supported.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  4. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's only with MotoBlur I thought. I've heard bad things about that. Anyway, that's off topic, just stuff I'll have to further research when my frankenPre2 can't hold it together anymore (hoping to at least wait until I can compare Ice Cream Sandwich and Mango phones).
    It's not Motoblur any longer. The UI is mostly stock except for some widgets and they kept the background syncing, which works great. I just added in my various accounts and they all sync without a problem.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's not really a good metaphor though. I mean, nobody writes software for Windows 2000, they write it for Windows 7 or Server 2008. It just happens to be that that still runs on 2000 with no effort by the developer.

    Likewise, some developers will stick around, but the already small pool is going to dwindle further while the devs work on current operating systems like iOS, Android, and WP7. Unlike your Windows 2000 example, webOS is not directly compatible with apps written for these other current operating systems, so most aren't going to do the work to make the apps run on the Touchpad.

    As for handing them so many new users, that's great. But how many $99 Touchpad purchasers are going to be racking up huge bills in apps? MAYBE ad-supported apps will be able to do okay, but I just don't see someone who gets a Touchpad only because it's that cheap as being someone who will buy a lot of apps.
    You need to remember something VERY important:

    This isn't a tablet market, its an iPad market, and despite Apples great iPad sales to date, most people never bit the bullet on a tablet device because they are so darn expensive.

    Until now, that is, with the TouchPad at $99 and $149; that's a game changer, and a serioius one, as the average consumer HAS heard of HP and that name is associated with computing device quality, and after seeing the device and its similarity to the iPad. along with the price and the specs, they will NOW buy that which they could not afford before, and know that they got a steal - remember, if it works for a couple of years, thats all they need.

    Check around, every brick n mortar retail house is sold out, if they are still selling them. HP.com is so inundated with orders, it cant function properly.

    I'd say that whatever HP has in stock will be sold, and that will add to the existing WebOS population (Pre/Veer/Pixi users).

    Now, once they buy these affordable tablets, and they have already understood the lack of volume of apps like iPad has, they WILL still, be looking for apps to buy, and buy they will:

    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...s_this_weekend

    Just watch. Perhaps Im wrong..

    But, I dont think so - like I said, I never planned to, but I bought 3 today, and I know my wife and my daughter will be on the hunt for apps to use.

    Its now a VERY affordable toy... and, in being such, it has just helped WebOS increase its visibility amongst the consuming public, big time.

    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/20/2011 at 06:18 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

    cobrakon likes this.
  6. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You need to remember something VERY important:

    Just watch. Perhaps Im wrong..


    It sure wouldn't be the first time

    As HP catches up by maturing WebOS, the devices that they introduce WILL, imo, become more current state of the art hardware devices, as that would be the natural order of things.. last year, they were redesigning the OS for a bigger ecosystem that HP envisioned (and Palm obviously never did), so, hardware design was probably lagging.

    So, to answer your point, LOGICALLY, HP didnt spend all that money to NOT follow thier vision, and that is being met as they have said.. 1 device every 2 months or so.
    Wrong, dead wrong!
  7. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
    It sure wouldn't be the first time

    Wrong, dead wrong!
    If my hypothesis was wrong, it was because what HP did was illogical, and, even Wall Street cant understand it (down %25% Friday, the day after), so, Im in good company, and my LOGIC was correct, and HP didn't follow it (and their stated goals), and is now suffering.

    Thanks for pointing this out, but, I have no idea what relevance it has to this topic; see the link I just added to my post for what appears to be proof that my hypothesis is coming to fruition.

    How do you like THEM "apples"? (pun intended, I love the movie GoodWill HUnting)

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  8. #50  
    If (and that's a big if) HP finds licensees for webOS, by the time that new hardware hits the market, iOS 6 will likely be out, Mango will have been on the market with many devices, and there will likely be 26 new flavors of Android with 2,500 new handsets making use of it.
  9. #51  
    a momentary spike in a no longer in production product means nothing frankly. Welcome to every "black friday door buster". So I guess that $99 acer laptop at walmart last black friday made acer #1 co. in the world.

    Too man delusions of grandeur are floating around these boards. HP is cutting their losses and all this proves is webos isn't good enough to compete (even though I believe it's hp's fault) in a profitable space and will only sell at a loss and not even the #1 PC company in the world could make it work.

    How do you like them SPOILED apples!
    sinsin07 likes this.
  10. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    If my hypothesis was wrong, it was because what HP did was illogical, and, even Wall Street cant understand it (down %25% Friday, the day after), so, Im in good company, and my LOGIC was correct, and HP didn't follow it (and their stated goals), and is now suffering.

    Thanks for pointing this out, but, I have no idea what relevance it has to this topic; see the link I just added to my post for what appears to be proof that my hypothesis is coming to fruition.

    How do you like THEM "apples"? (pun intended, I love the movie GoodWill HUnting)

    Please. That wasn't much of a prediction. There's a fire sale going on meant to liquidate the stock as quickly as possible.

    The fact that the TP was FINALLY able to start selling at those kinds of prices isn't going to make a lot of converts.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  11. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If (and that's a big if) HP finds licensees for webOS, by the time that new hardware hits the market, iOS 6 will likely be out, Mango will have been on the market with many devices, and there will likely be 26 new flavors of Android with 2,500 new handsets making use of it.
    Exactly. Turning WebOS around would mean a massive investment. Why would any big corporation want to take that chance after seeing HP crash and burn?
    sinsin07 likes this.
  12. #54  
    The firsesale was nothing more than webOS's last big gulp or air. Most of those who bought the tablet will put in a closet or try to dump it on ebay or craigs list after they play with it for a day or two. People can't refuse a great bargain even if it is for something they really don't want or need. The only people that really care will be tech junkies who just want one to have and webOS fans who want a device where they can still use webOS for fun after they've moved on to some other platform.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  13. #55  
    folks, Leo could care less about consumer relationships and it's seems relationships in general. As long as the HP board has him in place HP will continue to slide into the abyss. The guy was hired for his people skills - a peoples manager looking out for his employees. Well, in one 29 minute announcement he lost the trust of over 320,000 people at HP.

    So, as long as Leo is running HP I would consider WebOS development to focus on enterprise cloud solutions only - consumers should consider it dead. So it may allow some large company to do who knows what with WebOS in their data centers. My guess is Leo will look to dump it fast... Any $$$ Will help off set the 60+ percent premium for Autonomy and the 43+% stock drop since he joined.

    I for one consider WebOS dead.
  14. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    How did they chop the devs off at the knees? Will the TPads self-destruct at some random point in the future?? I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

    HP actually HELPED devs by handing them 100's of thousands of new users.
    they did it by prematurely announcing its all over, it doesnt matter if they say webOS is supported andhardware is not, they did it immediatly basically saying game over, no gradual letdown or plan of action, it was basically ****canned on the spot.

    webOS cannot "continue to be supported" as of NOW if theres no hardware, they didnt even let sales try and trickle on and wait for some of the apps people have been screaming for and still are.

    Fact of the matter is, new incoming owners or hardware doesnt matter when the webOS devices available NOW are in our hands and the rest cancelled, secure in the knowledge that is webOS does re-rise from the ashes it will not be for the hardware your clutching now.

    HP have basically initiated a giant cost cutting exercise they thought would save their sharehodlers lots of $$ in the long term, they just have to deal with the giant mess they left behind first then fix the self character assassination they did on their reputation, as their now known as a company that at the drop of a hat will turn aboutface and say "**** it were out".

    What were getting now is not some grand plan its just damage control and lipservice.

    You also mentioned new users? well its not handy when your new users still dont have any apps, the devs making said apps are leaving in droves and for the price they now paid for their devices the new customers can easily toss their cheap toys aside.

    HP has no plan other than clawing as much $$ back as they can as fast as they can.
    DrewT3 and sinsin07 like this.
  15. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If (and that's a big if) HP finds licensees for webOS, by the time that new hardware hits the market, iOS 6 will likely be out, Mango will have been on the market with many devices, and there will likely be 26 new flavors of Android with 2,500 new handsets making use of it.
    This SERIOUSLY makes NO sense. With the exception of HP, all other suitors (LG, HTC, etc.) HAVE a mobile device development line, manufacturing in place, and programming experience. They already turn out a new device every 12 weeks or so.

    What possible rationale would lead you to believe these capabilities would cease if they owned webOS?? We already know the webOS kernel runs on ARM chips and the codebase is already tweaked for TI and Qualcomm chips. All they'd have to do is decide which chassis to put it on (slider, slab, candybar, etc.)


    HP on the other hand...

    -Had no mobile device development processes
    -Had no manufacturing channels and had to settle for whatever they could find
    -Had no other mobile OS experience than what came with Palm
    -Had no\weak relations with carriers

    Any of the others; Sammy, LG, HTC, Huawei, etc have all of those things damn near perfected. Plus there is a very real fear Goog will go all in with Moto and virtually take their candy away.
  16. #58  
    I dunno. If I were a developer, I'd take this opportunity to make the best available needed apps - calculator, calendar, twitter app, etc - and since there's probably not going to be a ton of competition like there is on iOS and Android, chances are sales would be pretty good. The apps don't even need to be innovative to stand out in this type if situation; they just need to do what they do well.
  17. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You need to remember something VERY important:

    This isn't a tablet market, its an iPad market, and despite Apples great iPad sales to date, most people never bit the bullet on a tablet device because they are so darn expensive.

    Until now, that is, with the TouchPad at $99 and $149; that's a game changer, and a serioius one, as the average consumer HAS heard of HP and that name is associated with computing device quality, and after seeing the device and its similarity to the iPad. along with the price and the specs, they will NOW buy that which they could not afford before, and know that they got a steal - remember, if it works for a couple of years, thats all they need.

    Check around, every brick n mortar retail house is sold out, if they are still selling them. HP.com is so inundated with orders, it cant function properly.

    I'd say that whatever HP has in stock will be sold, and that will add to the existing WebOS population (Pre/Veer/Pixi users).

    Now, once they buy these affordable tablets, and they have already understood the lack of volume of apps like iPad has, they WILL still, be looking for apps to buy, and buy they will:

    HP has sold 350,000 TouchPads this weekend - AfterDawn

    Just watch. Perhaps Im wrong..

    But, I dont think so - like I said, I never planned to, but I bought 3 today, and I know my wife and my daughter will be on the hunt for apps to use.

    Its now a VERY affordable toy... and, in being such, it has just helped WebOS increase its visibility amongst the consuming public, big time.

    You realize that Apple sells this many iPads in a weekend every weekend, right? They sold 9 million iPads last quarter and they would have sold more if they could make them faster. That's 100,000/day. Everyday. For 3 straight months. At $499-829 each. No special sales or anything. The fight in the tablet space is for second place. This could have been a game changer in that regard. If there were more Touchpads available at this price.
  18. #60  
    WebOS won't run on my hardware. Writing an OS is different than writing a normal program, so the fact that it is compiled with an ARM instruction set is meaningless. Also, while devs will get a well deserved last spike, the fact is that without the promise of new devices, there will be no new users, and so no real inscentive to keep releasing new apps. Also, any bugs in the OS are there to stay, so all those bugs which cause our programs to crash through no fault of our own will remain. Supporting apps in that kind of environment sucks.

    I am happy that the community can go out with this kind of excitement, but it's over. WebOS is now a hobbiest OS.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions