Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaKitty View Post
    i would be shocked to find out they sold 100s of thousands. probably closer to 100,000 max (and im talking b&m stores included).

people on sd said that hp customer support told them they had 40,000 units in stock that were sold. i wouldn't be surprised if HP dumps the units they are receiving back from costco/ best buy/ etc...save more money from tax relief to dump.
    HP has sold 350,000 TouchPads this weekend - AfterDawn
    LCGuy and cobrakon like this.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    HP may sell a lot of TouchPads today, but I don't see it creating a significant amount of buzz over webOS. I'd say there's a good chance that 75% of the firesale touchpad buyers don't know what webOS is, and never will. Even fewer of them will ever make the connection between webOS being on their new tablet thingie and webOS on a phone. In terms of devices sold a consumer electronics devices doesn't come close to a phone sold through multiple carriers. More people buy phones than tablets. Please interact with their phones more than a tablet device; they're easier to carry around all the time.

There was a better chance of a webOS bump when the Pixi Plus was poping up everywhere for $50.
    "sources and retail checks"
    ill wait for official figures before i believe that
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If that figure is accurate - HP took a hit of half a billion over the weekend. Wow - maybe one of the biggest failures in consumer tech.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    This firesale could indeed be the 'stimulus' the TouchPad needed. New users will realize what a great multitasking platform webOS truly is. They should be encouraged to request apps from developers. Is webOS SDK crippled as it is? Does it have the tools to build neat apps? If so, I don't why developers can't build new apps? Isn't always about demand?
    This firesale reminds me on those funerals in New Orleans. Music plays and everybody is dancing... around casket...
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    May or may not say much but 3 people I know (non-webos users) are buying a tpad now. They wouldn't have considered it had this not happened.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I sure as heck can't find one to purchase anywhere. Sigh...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If that figure is accurate - HP took a hit of half a billion over the weekend. Wow - maybe one of the biggest failures in consumer tech.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    That sounds about right, if not a little conservative. They are losing over $200 on every one they sell.

This is nothing but liquidation of a product that's totally failed. I can't believe people are seeing this as possibly a good thing for WebOS or the Touchpad.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I saw a tear-down figure of $150 for the touchpad (before R&D and shipping costs), if it's $200... yowza - depending on how far back they offer a rebate they could be on the hook for a lot of money...

Has there every been a bigger bomb in consumer tech in a 60 day period? I can't think of one.
    Actually, THAT hit pales in comparison to the hit in market cap they took on Friday. That press release was the biggest failure in consumer tech. This is NOT the way to do a spin-off of an entire division and 1/3 of your revenue...

BTW, I think Danger/Kin M$ debacle still takes the prize for stupid...
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerotide View Post
    HP said they were still going to work on WebOS as a software... now with alot of people finding that this is actually a great mobile OS, will it make WebOS look more lucrative to license?
    Leo: ďThis isnít about taking Apple head-on. Itís about establishing credibility. Once we are the third alternative, itís a marathon, not a sprint,Ē Apotheker said, CRN reports.

Leo: "The one lesson I have learned from this, and Iím driving my engineers crazy with this, is that we will not release a product that isnít perfect. (One person applauds.)"

"Hewlett Packard CEO Leo Apotheker has said that the company plans to establish the credibility of its webOS platform before it begins seriously competing with rivals."

D9 Conference, June 1 2011: HP CEO Lťo Apotheker Says He Wonít Ship TouchPad Till Itís Perfect

HP has said a lot of things. At some point you need to stop fooling yourself and look at the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaKitty View Post
    i doubt it, but i could be wrong.

i dont think 100,000 units will spark the webos revolution. most of the people who get them will never experience the power of webos because theyll never get preware, OC it, get patches, get rid of the logging...etc

the hype machine will exist till they announce the ipad3
    If an end user needs to add software/patches to make webos powerful, you can see why it ended up in a firesale. Preware is not a selling point at Bestbuy, HP website, Staples, Office Depot, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    if HP did this in the first place they would've saved face, flooded the market with webOS gain tons of new users, acquire new partnership with software companies adding to the app catalog, gain positive outlook, trust, and feel about webOS, then make the announcement that hardware support was gonna be shifted to another company, buy autonomy to show software would be supported, and everyone would've been ok.

they had money to sacrifice, the result would be the same initial loss with first wave of webOS, but paved the way for future revenue and a clear path on the direction of webOS.

Now current events seem shady leaving many with a bad taste in their mouth.
    Are you saying HP should of flooded the market first with $99 Touchpads, then make an announcement? How would that have played out on the media sights? Wouldn't news outlets come to their own conclusion as to why HP suddenly dropped the price to 1/5 of what the tablet was originally going for? Sorry, your scenario is a not realistic.
    I saw a tear-down figure of $150 for the touchpad (before R&D and shipping costs), if it's $200... yowza - depending on how far back they offer a rebate they could be on the hook for a lot of money...

Has there every been a bigger bomb in consumer tech in a 60 day period? I can't think of one.
    I saw a tear down estimate of over double that amount...
    iSuppli

Might as well get some figures out there of some sort, otherwise we'll see fantasy post that the touchpad paid for it self in parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    In order for this platform to succeed, it needs hockey stick growth. Once this fire sale ends, that is it for the foreseeable future.
    Yeah it'll get hockey stick growth alright:

n-pro-2-36-5l-hockey-stick.jpg

In all seriousness, would there not need to be at least a million or two TP sales for devs really to take notice?
    thelelander likes this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Sadly, I have to agree with most everyone else; WebOS was my favorite, always has been... but HP has effectively killed it.

I'm still hoping HP open sources WebOS. We might have a future that way... but otherwise, we'll just have to mourn the loss of a great platform that never really got the chance it deserved.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    I think that this is the beginning of the end to be honest.(
    I think it's the end, period. And frankly, I think anyone who pushes forward in continuing to support webOS is giving HP far more consideration than they deserve. It simply defies belief that they're still saying they're making continued investments in webOS--that's such a pathetically transparent attempt to fool some poor sap company into picking up webOS.

Thing is, what company in their right mind would look at webOS and see a real value proposition? I really have to ask: what do people think is so magically great about webOS that it could possibly compete in 12 months (how long it would take for another company to release a webOS device) in this market? What does everything think iOS and Android (and WP7) are going to look like by the time a new webOS device hit the market?

I mean, today, webOS has one compelling strength compared to the competition: multitasking. Other platforms have pretty much matched up capabilities in everything else, and have great ecosystems to match. Is really nice multitasking really enough to make webOS worth an investment when it's been such an utter failure so far (no matter whose fault it is)?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I mean, today, webOS has one compelling strength compared to the competition: multitasking. Other platforms have pretty much matched up capabilities in everything else, and have great ecosystems to match. Is really nice multitasking really enough to make webOS worth an investment when it's been such an utter failure so far (no matter whose fault it is)?
    I agree totally that it's over... But I don't really think everything has caught up perfectly in terms of Synergy, in contacts and messaging, either.

Android can do it well if you're only on Google, WP7 can do it well if you're on Facebook or Live, and Apple doesn't try to do it.

Which doesn't help when I've got people on Gtalk, AIM, Yahoo IM and Skype, and when my contacts are spread mostly between Google, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
    It depends. If people start buying apps then yes. If developers such as Rovio start showing huge increases in sales from webOS users others could catch on. Also depends on what happens with webOS, if it isn't licensed or sold then no... If it is... Maybe.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Anyone that continues to support webOS respects their customers and I will continue to support them with my wallet.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    LCGuy and cobrakon like this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast