Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
  • 4 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    After hearing the bad news on Thursday, it made me think back to what had happened last month. When HP took one of its senior vice presidents Stephen Dewitt (aka snake oil salesman) and made him head of WebOS global business unit (formerly known as Palm inc.) and took jon rubenstein and put him in charge of "product innovation" in the personal system group.

Maybe they thought Rubenstein would not be happy with all this and would put up a fight. his new role is useless since HP does not want to make hardware anymore, and plans to spin off its personal systems group (which Webos global busines unit aka palm is part of), however im sure they will incorporate webos global business unit into HP enterprise with its new leader Dewitt, and get rid of Personal systems group all-together with Rubenstein. Its the perfect switch, take out the guy who loved webos, and put in one of their stuffed suits salesman.

HP says they will continue develop webos, well all of us longtime faithful, now know not to believe anything they say its all bull and lip-service. develop it for what, when there is no hardware to develop it for. If HP doesnt want to make hardware for its own software cause it is to costly and their is no return why would any other manufacturer want to. The only future is see for webos under HP is them using it and its foundation for enterprise solutions. or maybe as an os for printers and such.
    Dewitt didnt know this was coming either. I truly feel that from the day Leo was hired this was the plan.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Dewitt didnt know this was coming either. I truly feel that from the day Leo was hired this was the plan.
    for some reason every time i see a picture of Leo on my computer screen i just want to punch it ha ha.

i can only hope that HP splits into two companies the way Motorola did, one dedicated to busiiness, enterprise and government solutions and the other towards consumers.

I guess this is what happens when you have a hugely bureaucratic large corporation like HP. the stuffed corporate suits just look at the bottom line today and their metrics, and kill of technologies with huge future potential.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's not unusual for management management to put in place a proven hatchet man before changes like this. Dewitt may still have been in the dark about the change, but I wouldn't put it beyond the CEO to set him up. I can't see Ruby firing the hardware team he spent years nurturing, he doesn't really need the job and I sense he only does it for the challenge of creating things.

I've been thinking about where Palm will end up. It makes no sense for them to be part of PSG if they are not going to make devices. WebOS fits much better with Leo's software centric plan.

One thought I did have was that if PSG was sold it would be free to become a webOS Licensee along with say Samsung perhaps. Is this why HP moved so fast to kill it? The logic seems bizarre.

The thing I can't get my head round is that by scrapping the hardware now, webOS looses loads of ground and reduces it's value to any licensee. If I were, again lets say Samsung, I would want devices out there being sold and used if only to keep the apps coming while I got my new devices ready.

Hope this sort of makes some sort of sense.
    According to information available, key executives first found out about this last Sunday night at a dinner with LA.

That's right.

On the eve of Pre 3, TouchPad 64 and Opal launches.

This fire sale will cost them hundreds of millions of $, and, makes HP look like horrific managers and technology creators, but, WebOS is likely going to come out of this with a much better respect, I believe.

Back to JR/Kerris:

I think the reported "missed deadlines" was something they held JR responsible for, and that was the reason for the sideways move out of the @1 WebOS chair... and Kerris, a sales guy, was put into place to take the products that are just about to, and already in the markets, to the next level.

As for why the true change of heart.. where and when the shift went from doubling down on WebOS, and running the marathon, to examining its success within weeks of market intorduction and declaring failure, well, that only LA and the HP BOD know, and, they should all be held accountable by the HP shareholders for their ineptitude.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Titan078 likes this.
    all this could make a good movie.
    ...and somehow corporate technology executives are supposed to trust HP as a technology partner like IBM?

if I were an IT manager, i'd be making sure we didn't buy any more from HP until this cclown (Leo) is gone. Too much risk that he would pull the plug on something mission-critical.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...and somehow corporate technology executives are supposed to trust HP as a technology partner like IBM?

if I were an IT manager, i'd be making sure we didn't buy any more from HP until this cclown (Leo) is gone. Too much risk that he would pull the plug on something mission-critical.
    Unfortunately, my employer is moving ahead with buying HP stuff I will have to manage. :P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I can't find the quote, but I found it interesting that Leo? Dewitt? made the comment about their corporate consumers sending the message back that the products were not good enough -- and I am assuming they meant the TP.

They'd been pitching large corporate orders and upon receipt -- esp by people not familiar with webos, or the time Synergy takes to set up (lag), or the benefits of Preware -- these corporate customers sent word back that it was just not good enough.

I guess what i am saying is that this might have been HPs way of telling it's corporate buyers "we messed up; we're taking these all back and retrenching; you are our tip priority"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

My sentiments exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    According to information available, key executives first found out about this last Sunday night at a dinner with LA.

That's right.

On the eve of Pre 3, TouchPad 64 and Opal launches.

This fire sale will cost them hundreds of millions of $, and, makes HP look like horrific managers and technology creators, but, WebOS is likely going to come out of this with a much better respect, I believe.

Back to JR/Kerris:

I think the reported "missed deadlines" was something they held JR responsible for, and that was the reason for the sideways move out of the @1 WebOS chair... and Kerris, a sales guy, was put into place to take the products that are just about to, and already in the markets, to the next level.

As for why the true change of heart.. where and when the shift went from doubling down on WebOS, and running the marathon, to examining its success within weeks of market intorduction and declaring failure, well, that only LA and the HP BOD know, and, they should all be held accountable by the HP shareholders for their ineptitude.

I am sure that HP has a ton of redundancy, but after this if their top talent wasnt starting to look else ware I would be surprised.
    Lol guys, how long ago was that 'number one plus' comment? Two, three months?
    Not a fan if Leo, but spinning off or selling PSG makes sense. HP can't compete with low cost equipment makers. They do very well in enterprise. A lot of analysts have been advising this for years. Still don't know why they bought Palm.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Not a fan if Leo, but spinning off or selling PSG makes sense. HP can't compete with low cost equipment makers. They do very well in enterprise. A lot of analysts have been advising this for years. Still don't know why they bought Palm.
    Spinning of PSG into its own company or selling it to like another pc maker makes sense, profit margins are so low, especially when competing with asus and acer and all those other manufactures.

However that would mean that Webos global business unit would have to move from PSG to the enterprise side of house, and that means webos would be developed for enterprise applications not for conusmers.

I am hoping they can just spin webos GBU into its own company, it is basically palm, and has been operating as its own independent unit within hp, so it hasnt really been integrated into the company. Than maybe palm can find some licensees, but thats all wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    all this could make a good movie.
    In twenty years, Leo DiCaprio could probably play Apotheker quite well.

Right now I think we could easily get Patrick Stewart, and with a little makeup not even Apotheker's wife would know the difference until Stewart drops his pants.