1.    #1  
    Choice 1) Sell HP Touchpad initially for $200, a loss of $100 for each tablet. Gain large marketshare and mindshare. Developers get on board and build apps. Create a great ecosystem. Have a strong foothold in one of the fastest growing and profitable market segments in the technology industry ever.

Choice 2) Kill off an entire brand in 40 days. Sell HP Touchpad at $99. Lose $300 each touchpad with no hope of a return on investment. Essentially kill off WebOS mindshare by stating you are "discontinuing it". Create a terrible PRPRPR $with$ $your$ $customers$ $just$ $when$ $the$ $Touchpad$ $was$ $starting$ $to$ $become$ $recognised$. $Lose$ $$12$ $billion$ $in$ $stocks$. **** $off$ $basically$ $everyone$ $and$ $their$ $grandmother$. $Upset$ $shareholders$. $Alienate$ $customers$, $distributors$, $carriers$.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Yep, this is the worst case of corporate mismanagement I can think of. Absolutely horribly executed.
    Even if you accept that Leo came in and immediately wanted to get rid of Palm, the way it all happened was just horrendously damaging to HP.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    If HP didn't want to invest in Palm Then they shouldn't have purcased a platform with a 2% marketshare.
    didn't they realize there really isn't a tablet market out there, it is still developing. if anything its an Ipad market. and what does hp do, go sell their tablet at the same price as an Ipad with out having any better features that the mass consumer market would recognize.

Did they really think it was gonna be an overnight sucess, because of their stupid commercials with their celebrities. and dont even get me started with the veer.

It seems that HP went in the direction to sell webos, which is highly regarded in the tech community, and basically unknown in the mass consumer market, to tweens. Its like trying to sell linux pc's to kids and moms.
    It is insane, because I think we've all seen how popular the touchpad is at this -low- price.

You'd have had them sold out everywhere, HP could have easily captured a huge piece of the tablet market and put themselves in a position to make big money as the cost of manufacture went down and their mindshare went up.
    The entire story of Palm's inception, through it's multiple owners, ending with HP's abysmal management, will become the classic business school study of how to FAIL! I sincerely think HP itself will likewise be history soon... likely acquired by Oracle for pennies on the dollar. My condolences to HP shareholders.
    There seems to be a run on the TO devices.. this SHOULD bode well for someone taking on WebOS, and maybe doing it right.

Ah, the irony... HP's TV commercials are still showing, with list pricing, no less, but they have dropped their shorts on the world stage... and people are STILL buying all they can get of the TP.

What's the polite, moderator approved way of saying "A" Whole different category of *****...???

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Choice 1) Sell HP Touchpad initially for $200, a loss of $100 for each tablet. Gain large marketshare and mindshare. Developers get on board and build apps. Create a great ecosystem. Have a strong foothold in one of the fastest growing and profitable market segments in the technology industry ever.
    Choice 2) Kill off an entire brand in 40 days. Sell HP Touchpad at $99. Lose $300 each touchpad with no hope of a return on investment. Essentially kill off WebOS mindshare by stating you are "discontinuing it". Create a terrible PRPRPR $with$ $your$ $customers$ $just$ $when$ $the$ $Touchpad$ $was$ $starting$ $to$ $become$ $recognised$. $Lose$ $$12$ $billion$ $in$ $stocks$. **** $off$ $basically$ $everyone$ $and$ $their$ $grandmother$. $Upset$ $shareholders$. $Alienate$ $customers$, $distributors$, $carriers$.
    To be fair, $12 billion loss is related to announcement of bailing out of PC business. Simply, HP bought Palm just because it was cheap and few HP seniors got soft feelings for Palm, without idea what to do with it. Year after purchase they still didn't know what to do with WebOS. Shutting down webOS hardware manufacturing is first real executive decision HP had.
    Well, Leo and the stupid gang at HP are just a bunch of morons, idiots no less!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    As one analyst put it...HP didn't even really try and quit the tablet game before it got started.